Help me spend some money!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dad_of_Two, May 29, 2008.

1. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Hey everyone,

I've been around a little bit....mostly as an observer. There is so much to learn here I find it hard to post because I'm always reading :munch

Anyhow....the purpose of this thread is to get some help filling up my newly purchased PedalTrain Pro and creating a versatile board which will allow me to generate several different tones.

To get a sense of what I'm into.....think about what someone would need if they were noodling a 30 minute jam solo in their basement all alone and just wanted to go from one colour to the next every few minutes.

Money really isn't a concern although I would prefer to NOT have to wait over a year for a pedal. With that said....if it is a must have for some reason then add it in!

I would like a 2 delay set-up also.....one analog only for slapback and one digital for longer needs.

I have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, OCD, Red Witch Empress Chorus,
    Boss TU-2 Tuner sitting on the board now so LOTS of room!

My current amp is a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special although I will be adding another amp.....probably a 65amps Soho this summer!

All thoughts, comments and insights are really appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the ideas!!

Joe

2. qatcat

qatcat Member

Well I'd say just start somewhere and go. If you want delays I don't think you can get a better analog delay than the Maxon AD900. actually any of the Maxons are going to be really good. I've been through them all and prefer the AD900

Chorus, Boss CE-2 is a good used you can get for around 100 bucks

Won't talk about Vibes

flanger,phasor again Maxon and retrosonic oughta cover you.

distortion...too many to list.

I will say t look at the Dano Cool cats. for the money they're unbeatable. I just put the transparent OD on my board in place of my OCD and have the Chorus in place of my CE-2.

Lots of stuff to try, have fun finding the right stuff..

3. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Thanks qatcat!!

I have the chance to grab a "Mint" used Maxon AD9-Pro for $160 which I have fread good things about.....thoughts on that?

I've also pretty much decided on a Chicago Iron Octavian for my octave-up needs....then I'll need a fuzz :cool:

4. qatcat

qatcat Member

I actually haven't heard the AD9 pro but did hear they fixed the volume issues with the AD9 and added some time. I had the Ad9, it sounded great but dropped the volume so I couldn't deal with it. For that price run! get it!!

CIW is a real cool I have the KR doubler and that just kills. The CIW is very similar though it's been a little while since I played through one..

5. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Cool.....I think I'll gra\b the AD9-Pro and worst case I flip it for what paid....especially at that price eh?

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I had a Lonestar Special (kind of regret I sold it) and I currently have a 65 Amps Soho (excellent amp). I have to say that both takes pedals really well. I have yet to have a bad sounding pedal through the Soho.

The Soho doesn't have an effects loop, so all the pedals will have to go in front of the amp. That may influence your choice of modulation somewhat, especially delay if your going to use the amp's gain. The Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay has received some kudos for working well in this scenario. I haven't tested it myself. I use 2 delays, one analog (memory lane 2) and one digital (nova delay), both in front of the amp, but I get the drive from pedals. For drive, I have one pedal for low-gain, one for medium, one for medium-high and one I use for boost. What type of OD's you chose probably depend on what music you play or what you want to make it sound like.

Analogman Chorus Clone works well with both Lonestar Special and Soho, and I find it more "dramatic" than f.i. the more subtle TC Electronics SCF. I use a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe which is a pretty safe bet for that.

If you want to hear pedals though a Soho, many of the video demo's of pedals by proguitarshop.com is done through a Soho combo.

Cheers,
    Christian

7. gibson60

gibson60 Member

Check out the retro sonic analog delay. It has a long/short switch and IMO goes from a nice slapback/reverb sound to a long solo delay sound very nicely.

8. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Hey Christian,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to chime in.....much appreciated!!

I really like the versatility of my LSS and from the sound clips I've heard (including those from ProGuitarShop) of the Soho I think it is meant for me. I actually have yet to hear a bad clip of the London, the Soho and the Monterey.

I actually have the Nova Delay on rent from the music shop but haven't fallen in love with it. I've been thinking about the TimeFactor but many mixed opinions.

Thanks again for your feedback and opinion. Do you have any experiences with fuzz pedals that worked well with either amp?

Cheers,
    Joe

9. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Hey Gibson60.....I've been looking at that delay but have had no luck finding one to take for a test drive :(

Does it play nice in-line with your other effects?

Cheers,
    Joe

10. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hi Joe,

I have not tried any fuzz pedals with any of them. The closest I probably got was the Skreddy Screwdriver I had when I had the LSS. Another one of those I regret selling :eek:. It worked really well. The screwdriver is a very versatile pedal, capable of giving you everything from low-gain to verging on fuzz. Besides the controls on the top, it has two on the sides accessible with the, well, a screwdriver. Worth checking out. Can typically be had for around $200 on the Emporium.

I did actually have the Timefactor. I can honestly say I thought it sounded better than the Nova I now have, but because of my short attention span, I didn't spend enough time with the TF to really use it properly. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the TF. And yes, it worked like a charm with both the LSS and the Soho.

Cheers
    Christian

11. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Christian,

A real fountain of knowledge.....I appreciate your thoughts and sharing your experiences. I think that I will move towards the TimeFactor in that I always feel if I spend a big chunk of $$ on a pedal and it's straight plug 'N play I didn't get my money worth :)

I would like to try these Skreddy pedals....I've actually never even seen one before.

Anyhow.....I think I'll go with a used AD-9 Pro I found on Craigslist and then try to get the TF this weekend and have a delay-A-thon :)

Thanks again!

Joe

12. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

Joe I ENVY YOU!!:bow

How did you off your leash and into the basement to play guitar?!

My wife would kill me if she read the above post coming from me!

I need to know your secret!! PLEASE!

Or is this all amongst friends here ;)

Heres my favorite stuff.

Get on the list for a Klon the wait is worth it (3 months)
    Buy a PTP Hand Wound Eternity - 08' model is the best IMHO
    Buy a Hartman Germanium Treble booster
    D*A*M Drag'n'fly Fuzz
    Cusack Screamer Fuzz
    Proanalog Royale with cheese
    Hartman Germanium Fuzz NKT 275 (or analogman one - i have both and LOVE both)
    Fuchs Valve Job
    Electro Harmonics memory Man Deluxe - still the best sounding delay out there - the delay + vibrato setting it AWESOME!

What can I say ... im a dirt man :messedup

13. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Guys,

Just brought home the Time Factor......can't wait to master this thing!!

Question before I post a dedicated thread.....can someone recommend the best volume pedal I can buy (or at least the best one that is commonly available) so I can grab one tomorrow?

I've never owned a VP before and am not sure if they come as TB , buffered....etc?

Thanks for any advice!!

Joe

14. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Hey Bro....thanks a ton for your input.....I appreciate you taking the time!

The secret to keeping the wife happy as I collect gear and crank amps is to make sure that she gets her fair share of "Chick-****" like purses and shoes. :BOUNCE

15. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

:agree

16. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Hehehe.....11 years and counting.....this is a tried & true method :phones

17. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Christian,

Just wanted to thank you.....based on your comments re: Time Factor I went out last night and picked one up. Sounds great out front of my LSS and should be a fun learning curve ;)

Thanks again!

Joe

18. amphead777

amphead777 Member

It's sort of a cliche, but get all the available BJF's. There is a wait, but it's not close to a year. They are great pedals. All of them.
    With the bad dollar, they are around $400. You said money isn't a problem. He makes another line called Mad Professor.
    No wait , generally, for those. There has been a recent release of I think 4 new ones too. You should check them out.

19. Dad_of_Two

Dad_of_Two Member

Hey man,

Thanks for the 411.....I'm familiar with the builder but never yet had the pleasure to play through any of them :(

Cheers,
    Joe

20. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hi Joe,

yeah, you should have fun with it. My attention span is nothing to go by, so I'm sure you get the hang of it quickly. And yes, it sounds better than the Nova (which is more plug-and-play for me).

Enjoy continuing building your dream-rig.

Cheers,
    Christian