Help me spend some more money on fuzz pedals...

popvulture

Hiya.

Like probably most of us, I'm a bit obsessed with Fuzzes (also delays, but that's another post). I'm looking for something to buy next that'll be something new and fun compared to what I've already got, which is:

Fulltone '69 big box (NKT): Love it, pretty much lives on my board. It's certainly not very insane compared to other fuzzes, but it's got a singing tone that I just can't really get enough of. I'm a pretty huge fan of the Fuzz Face circuit, so this fils that niche pretty perfectly for me right now.

Early 00s big box EHX NYC Muff: Have had this one forever, am not exactly a super huge fan of it, actually prefer...

Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian: Really love this one, great at lower gain settings. It basically becomes much more of an overdrive at that point, but has a great snarl to it.

Death by Audio Thee Fuzz Overload: I've almost decide that this one just really isn't for me and I'm probably selling it. I've liked Fuzz Wars in the past, but this one has a weird tone, almost as though you can very clearly hear separate fuzz and clean signals (to my ears), yet there's no kind of clean/blend knob on it. It's fun but I think it'd fit someone else's style a lot more.

Zvex Fuzz Factory: It's great, does the whole zipper/velcro fuzz thing, but also isn't really my style. It's nice to have around though if I want to do something bizarre in the studio. I wish it had a tone control (might get some groans from that request)

Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe: This is one of my absolute favorites, and it's pretty much the most versatile fuzz I own. The tweakability is insane. It can get nice, psychy Floyd type tones when paired with a delay, or playing with the gate knob can take it into straight up metal territory (Mastodon-y, yesss).

Fender Blender (vintage): This thing is pretty unruly, sounds f-ing insane. The only really lame thing about it is that when I use it in a live setting, I'll be playing, sounding great level-wise, then I'll click it on and POOF, gone. It absolutely disappears in the mix. Pretty fun for studio use though.

Colour Box: Not really a fuzz per se, but the really pushed preamp settings might as well be fuzz. Pretty wonderful all around, the super overdriven settings really just the tip of the iceberg.

Onto what I'm looking for next, I'm not sure exactly. I'd like to hear what y'all have been digging lately. I do like the weirder glitchy/velcro types, but I usually don't have much interest in buying them, just because I don't think my level of use would justify the price. That said, the Malekko Diabolik is pretty damn fun. I've been curious about dipping into Tonebender territory... I had a large box NKT Fulltone Soul Bender at one point but traded it to a friend (dumb). The D*A*M stuff sounds great, but it definitely seems out of reach price-wise. I've thought very seriously about getting the Creepy Fingers guy to build me a MKII. I actually played two versions of a Jordan Bosstone clone yesterday, made by a company called Toetags Electronics out of Montreal. REALLY cool sounding. What else... the Pharaoh sounds nice, but I'd have to play one in person to verify (as I would pretty much any, but I don't always have that option). Finally, one that's been tempting me for quite a while is the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom–that thing seems to have a wide range of VERY nice tones.

So anyway, enough spewage on my end. Fire away! Would love to hear some ideas.

cubistguitar

get ready for about 50 of these recommendations

PTD mini bone or Bone Machine

is the shizzy, smooth or glitched-out

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
Check out Acid Fuzz for a MKI or MKII Tonebender. Or LIC Pedals on eBay. If you can find a Skinpimp or Lumpy's MKII, that is a good place to start. Also, a Hudson Stroll On...

popvulture

Are those LIC pedals no longer made? Saw on their site that they were sold at Main Drag Music in Brooklyn (I lived there for a while, am buds with those guys), but doesn't look like they currently have any on their site. Quite a few on eBay. The Acid Pedals look cool too...

(Granted I'm just skimming at this point. I'm gonna go through all of these–psyched!)

CaseyI

The Walrus Audio Jupiter can get a little spitty/velcroey at the top of the gain range without being too much. I'm a fan. I have the Jupiter and the Musket. By your description I think the Jupiter would do the job.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
At the opposite ends of the "interactive" spectrum: PTD Mini-Bone & Carl Martin The Fuzz

The Mini-Bone reacts to picking and the guitar controls amazingly well. With the guitar volume rolled back, it really cleans up nicely, even if it's set for fuzzy insanity with the guitar cranked.

The Carl Martin doesn't much care what you feed into it, it's going to do its thing. Can really punch through a mix.

Honorable mention to the Malekko B:Assmaster as well as the Basic Audio Zippy and Foxey Lady.

popvulture

Looking at Basic Audio's site right now... some cool ass stuff on here. Not sure how I haven't heard of this company before with such a s**t ton of fuzzes to offer. This is good.

I REALLY like the way the Sputnik sounds. A little pricey though! Also quite foxy.

Have any of y'all ever played one of these, by chance?

http://www.kingtoneguitar.com/

Also in the same boat, I've been curious about the JAM Pedals Fuzz Phrase. With respect to both of these though, I'm pretty happy with my '69 as far as Fuzz Face vibes go.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Looking at Basic Audio's site right now... some cool ass stuff on here. Not sure how I haven't heard of this company before with such a s**t ton of fuzzes to offer. This is good.
I'm surprised you have electricity in your cave :)

la noise

If you have not owned a Basic Audio fuzz you owe it to yourself
to check one out pronto! Cool aesthetics, great tones, diverse
offerings that can suit anyone's fuzz tastes, and priced right for
the working man or woman. :aok

GuitarToma

Platinum Supporting Member
Soul Sonic FX - Shizzle Deluxe.

Martin from Soul Sonic builds these by order only, and as far as I know he still does. He made one for me about a year ago, only took about 6 weeks to get. I absolutely love this pedal. Great heavy fuzz with an od in the circuit to push the fuzz. It's my main heavy sound on my board and it cuts through great. Fantastic for big solos.

http://www.soulsonicfx.com/?page_id=213

popvulture

Worst thing about living in this cave... can't even power the pedals. Currently just lookin' at em. :drool

Haha but yep, stoked for the Basic Audio tip... lotta stuff there.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Hiya.

Death by Audio Thee Fuzz Overload: I've almost decide that this one just really isn't for me and I'm probably selling it. I've liked Fuzz Wars in the past, but this one has a weird tone, almost as though you can very clearly hear separate fuzz and clean signals (to my ears), yet there's no kind of clean/blend knob on it. It's fun but I think it'd fit someone else's style a lot more.
That's funny. I bought a Fuzz War and loved it. Had some pedal capital built up and jumped on the Thee Fuzz Overload. Had the same effect you are describing. The clean tone was present with the fuzz. No clue why they did it that way. Totally sounded different that my regular one (which I still have and love).

stormymondays

Mojo Hand Crosstown killed every other fuzz on my pedalboard. It sounds great in a band setting, and with its mix of Germanium and Silicon it can do all the classic sounds, in my opinion. It kicked out of the board a Sunface, an Astro Tone, and a Tonebender Mk1.5 and Mkii.

Yossi

You want help spending money on Fuzz pedals, do ya?

Check out Stomp Under Foot and get to know Matt.

He's helped me an a bunch of other spend lots of money.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
You need more fuzz faces.

The Dunlop minis are great and cheap, own all but the red GE.

Every guitar player should own at least one sunface.

Take a look at the buzzaround and octavers

Trending Topics