Help me target my next guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by twitch, Jun 23, 2015.

1. twitch

twitch Member

Here is my situation. I currently have the following

Driskill Diablo - 3 P90's, swamp ash top - does the blues rock thing real good.

Melancon pro Artist T - 2 P 90's, Koa top - does cleans better than the Driskill, better suited for things a little more country rock.

Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins - stock filter tron pick ups with Bigsby. Does the Gretsch thing

Hamer Monaco hollow body with Bigsby - Seymour Duncan custom humbuckers. Probably the most versatile guitar I have.

Early 90's fender American strat - this has tom Anderson pickups in it and a nice birdseye maple neck and fretboard. Does the strat thing well.

I play mainly blues rock and classic rock, and mainly originals. Some stuff may have a pop flavor, some a little country, and some a little more rock heavy.

Price range can vary some, depending on when I pull the trigger, which may depend on when I find the right guitar. I have $1,600 stored away now, which will grow over time. I don't feel the need to get something because I can or have the money. In my mind, I have been leaning towards either a Les Paul type guitar or a 335 type. But would be in favor of something that isn't Gibson (reason being quality is all over the place, and if I found a good one, I feel you pay more for the Gibson name). So I am thinking maybe another Hamer Monaco (not hollow), or maybe a Heritage. If I went more for the 335 type, I would want it to be with humbuckers, and would prefer a bigsby, which seems a little hard to find on Heritage, which are already hard to find.

I am also considering saving a lot more and considering a Collings, but not sure if I have the patience for that.

I probably should consider a really nice strat too, but do not seem motivated in that direction.

My tastes cosmetically have changed a little, I used to be almost solely focused on the decorative top. Still not opposed to it, but the Gretsch and Hamer go away from that, and I find them just as nice to look at (which isn't that important anyway). Basically would likely not pursue a sunburst or black guitar, anything else is fine, but would like to stay away from red also, since I already have a couple of red.

I should also consider an upgrade to my acoustic, which gets a lot of play time because it is easy to just go play it, it is quieter, and I can also take it outside by the fire. But my motivation isn't quite there either, although I think that will be my focus after one more electric.

So being I am all over the place, any suggestions to make me be even more all over the place, or give me some focus, would be great.

2. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I would agree you need an LP or 335.

If you like Peter Green tone, get a Corsa LCPG or Manalishi http://www.corsaguitars.com/
    My next LP style guitar will be a Corsa. Best bang for the buck. You get to pick your top. And, he offers a money back guaranty.

If I were getting another 335 it would be a Gibson or Collings I-35. The Gibson Historic and artist 335s are great guitars. I've not tried an I-35, but I really want to.

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I'm liking the Godin Montreal Premiere these days. Worth a look for that 335-ish style.

4. stratter

stratter Member

I've tried a gibson 339, and it was kind of like the 335, but it was alot easier to handle. I'm a fan of the 2014 standards.

5. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I am much like the OP, in that I have a small collection of great guitars that don't really duplicate each other. I like variety, and see no purpose in have multiple guitars that sound the same. Recently, I was in the mood to add another guitar, and similarly contemplating what it was that I was missing. I ended up going with something totally different for me. I've been pretty much a Fender/Gibson/PRS player for over 40 years, with the occasional Gretsch thrown in. This time, I went out on a limb, and bought a really clean Rickenbacker 360. I know, you are all cringing right now. Supposedly, Rics are hard to play, and have no versatility. But guess what, I have not found that to be true. The neck on mine is not any more narrow than my Suhr Strat. Once I got it properly set up, the action is outstanding, and it plays great. And the sounds it makes are glorious. I can't stop playing the thing. You can play virtually any type of music on it, and it sounds awesome. Very different from a Fender or Gibson. Much better string clarity when playing chords or partial chords. It's a very "alive sounding" guitar. I had never even touched a Rickenbacker before I got this one, and had no idea what to expect. Now I'm wondering why it took me almost 50 years to find out how great Rics are. If you are looking for something that is refreshingly "different" from your other guitars, try a Rickenbacker. You just might fall in love. I know I have.

SPROING! likes this.
  6. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

I have two for you. You can get both for $1,600.

Reverend HB, this one happens to be a HB FM for the flame maple. Bass contour on both.

Reverend Buchshot. Versatile player that can be twangy and then some.

7. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

You guys are so lucky I'm broke, I'd be buying a few of these up like gold investers!:D

SPROING! likes this.
  8. twitch

twitch Member

A friend of mine recently got two rics, one is a 6 string, one a 12 string. I need to get together with him and give it a test drive.

9. tamader74

tamader74 Member

Well, I agree with you being "...all over the place",...which all that means is you qualify for membership here (LOL),...I've been playing for 50+ years, and used to be content with 2-3 guitars (even the '3' thing was weird back then for most),...But as you get better, want to accomplish different Music and your not quite there yet in as far as getting your one or two guitars to perform these different sounds/tones of Music,...

...So, sure different axe's are needed,...the one thing I'M hearing (seeing written) is a NEED for a better acoustic,...not just a 'Acoustic', YOUR acoustic. I LOVE my acoustic's and what they do,...and No Shizzle I have owned at least 1000 guitars in my life (at one time I was considered by most of my Family and Friends as 'Crazy' and laughed at my passion, later they called me a 'Collector' and listened to my talking with passion when it came to guitars...LOL).

I've had some #1 acoustic's,...and then it happened after ALL these years and it was NOT planned, I had finally got one of my 'Bucket List' guitars...a Gibson Dove. Man I was stoked for Days (about 10 of them),...and then I was introduced to a Martin HD-28LSV (there was only 1219 of these made from '99-'05)...and THAT was all it took, I had to own/possess that particular guitar, no matter what!!!.

That was about 2 years ago, and I got it that day from my 'Acoustic Nut' Best Friend...the Dove stayed until last Friday when I had to make some brutal decisions about some personal issues that needed fixing,...But not once did parting with THIS Martin ever enter my Mind,...and Yes, it is about this one Martin (I've owned a 'Few' of them over time LOL, But not like this one...it's ME).

You can put different pups in say your Gretsch, like some TV Jones for it,...I'm a BIG Fan of these pups (and I'm a Bigger Fan of keeping the original pups for IF you ever need to sell it, etc., Original equip. helps in the resale Value),...my Martin is in awesome condition, and plays/sounds wonderfully,...and my acoustic 'Nut' Best Friend who thought the Martin was just 'OK' (that's why he let me buy it, he thought...meh of it), really got to 'Hear it' one day, after my set-up, new strings, etc.,...and after looking for a year, found another one and bought it at full price (less shipping, and the Seller really didn't want to do that...LOL).

I think if I were in your situation, that is where I would start...you have a all around acoustic already, NOW take your time and find 'The One', don't have to be a Martin, just your's. Tom

10. padavis

padavis Member

I was in a similar situation recently. I had to have a double humbucker solid body guitar so I wound up with a PRS Custom 22 with 53/10 pickups. Its unreal. If you want something different but still thinking in that way, the PRS Vela looks awesome and that would allow you a start on the upgrade to your acoustic.

11. Yossi

Yossi Member

[​IMG]

Every thought of a Suhr Modern?

Just got this one and it has blown me away in every respect.