Help me through heartbreak...

Dunconia

And I just traded a perfectly mint strat for a battlescared tele. I started to back out because mine is flawless and his had a few marks. Then, I remembered that Fender charged more money to get a beat up one.

Yes, yes... a million times this!

I've been screaming about these strap buttons from the rooftops of the internet for years now. Every single guitar I own gets them immediately. There is no need for stupid, complicated strap-lock doohickies if instead you use a properly designed strap button.
these strap buttons eventually wear out the hole in the strap...that tight fit will continue to get looser over time

I use schaller and Dunlop strap locks
prefer schaller

ive never had one disengage...I am careful and make sure its locked though...

67blackcherry

Heartbreak is when your very expensive guitar ($3500.00) arrives and you carefully remove it from the packing and the case and WHAM....immediately ding the crap out of it on a table near your desk.
True story.

Thank God it was a Cunetto Relic and not one of the Historic LP’s that I’ve ourchased online.

Moe45673

In my opinion, anything that doesn't affect functionality just shows that the possession in question has been used and loved. These scratches are war wounds, the guitar is your brother-in-arms. I'm a player, not a collector, I don't look as good as I did 10 years ago and it's hubris to expect the same out of my guitar.

I'll never be a "collector". I dont have the mentality for it. All my guitars are gigged and consequently, they get dinged and scratched and thats just the way I understand it will always be. There are guys that say you can baby the hell out of your guitar and it will never get a mark.. but again, not me.

My wife is a collector, and so I see how some of the thinking to that can go. "Buy it and look at it but display it properly".

DarrellM5

It may bother you for a while, but most folks get over it quickly.

I use quite a few of the recommendations in this thread. Most of my guitars have DiMarzio Clip-Locks, which are great because it's very fast to switch the strap to another guitar. My PRS513 has the most prominent oversized strap buttons. I have a really nice Levy's leather strap for it and the first few times I put the strap on I had to remove the strap buttons, stick them through the strap and screw them back into the guitar. Now I can install the strap the normal way but it's a really tight fit. My strat and tele have normal strap-locks and I install them so that even if the button is activated, the guitar won't fall. On my Les Paul I use the beer washer technique. I get the washers at a beer brewing supply store for about 6 cents each.

The only time I've ever had a guitar come off a strap was when it still had the stock strap buttons. I've never had one hit the deck though as I always hold on with at least one hand.

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
How are the pedals?
It took 141 posts on TGP before someone asked this???? C'mon guys, what are you thinking? Most of us have more money in our pedalboards than a Deluxe Am. Strat!

Also, OP, I feel your pain. I would be kicking myself for a week. That said, when I settled down, the only option I'd try is steaming out the dents a little. There's just no way to fix that short of a complete refin, and that's going to put you way in the hole financially. Getting someone to relic the rest of it might legitimize the dents, though?

PDXVOX

Battle scars, indeed.

God allowed your straps to disengage. Probably should trust that

mjross

these strap buttons eventually wear out the hole in the strap...that tight fit will continue to get looser over time

I use schaller and Dunlop strap locks
prefer schaller

ive never had one disengage...I am careful and make sure its locked though...
Never tried Schiller! The first thing I do with all my guitars is install Dunlop Strap Locks. They are a great sense of security. However, with any strap lock, as you wisely stated, check to see that they have engaged properly. Just takes a second and get in the habit of doing it.

Trending Topics