Help me understand how to use my DD20...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrm, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Okay, I love my DD20. I jsut have no real idea how to use it correctly!

For the most part I use two different delay types. A nice ambient delay with a few quiet (trailing off ) repeats, and a thick delay with a ton of repeats that are qual volume with my original note. To switch between them I've been bending down and turning all my knobs while keeping the DD20 in manual mode. That just seems stupid....

So, it must be simple to assign one delay to one of my pedals, and the other delay to the other one. Someone want to give me a pointer? If I do that I lose my tap tempo availability though right?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

-jon

2. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

I love the dd20.

Check your manual (can be got rom th boss page), but if you boot up the DD20 with one button held down, yo u can switch to Man ual <--> Prest mode. So instead of you switching between all 4 presets, you can choose ONE preset, and the memory pedal will swap between them.

3. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

There's a little 'write' button over the right pedal. Once you get a setting you like, press it, then use the 'select' button to get to the preset you want to write it to, then hit 'write' again. (It's some variation of that....I haven't owned one of these in a while, and am not sure the names of all the buttons are exactly as I remember them.)

And then, your right footswitch can now cycle through the four presets and the manual setting. To get the right footswitch to do tap tempo, just get to the preset you want, then hold the right footswitch down for about 2 seconds. Now the right footswitch is tap tempo within that preset. Then to switch presets, you have to hold down the right footswitch again for 2 seconds, to get back to preset select mode.

That can be a hassle, so I would highly, highly recommend getting an external tap tempo pedal for the DD20. Boss makes the FS5U, or someone like Loop-Master can make some smaller ones. They're like, $30. Connect it into the CTRL jack, and then you can leave the right footswitch as preset select, and have the external pedal for tap tempo all the time.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

ext. tap tempo FTW.

Does switching to tap tempo mode allow you to remain in memory mode? I played around with not using an ext pedal recently, and I recall that every time I switched to tap tempo it went to manual setting. Maybe I wasn't doing it properly?

Anyhow, with an ext. pedal, you can definitely change the stored tempo (though if you leave that preset and then go back to it, it will be reverted back to what it was when you originally saved it). Unlike the DL-4, though, bypassing the DD-20 and then stomping on the left footswitch to turn it back on will NOT revert your tapped tempo back to the stored number

5. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

thw DL-4 needs an upgrade, badly. It was cool when it came out, but tech. is a ficckle bitch. And so are the soldring jobs inside those green beasts/

6. jrm

jrm Member

Man, my brain is not firing on all cylinders today... I actually have a Tiny Tap tempo switch that I could plug in from an old delay... dang.

Alternately, here's a question for you. Our drummer uses a click track for all our songs. Said click track has a midi out. Is there a way to interface that midi out with my DD20 so I don't even have to concernt myself with tap tempo?

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Nope :(

On the plus side, the DD-20 has a handy display so you can bend down and twist the knob to the exact BPM of the click track manually