Help me understand my moog MF drive better

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stella was a dive, Apr 1, 2015.

1. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

the tone/filter/peak area of it is just a bit beyond my level of understanding. I just can't quite place exactly what is happening when I adjust the filter and peak with the tone interaction, I hear differences, but I don't know how to make those controls do what I want so it say.

Thanks

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Peak changes the range of the filter DRAMATICALLY. If I recall correctly, it scoops a broad but shallow chunk of the midrange. I think I set the tone so the low end as good nice and full (low end rolls off as you turn it up), and the used Filter with Peak engaged to cut mud and add top. At high gain settings this didn't work as well for me, but it was great otherwise. With Peak off, Filter had a very narrow range with a slightly broader. I THINK. :p -E

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I believe the filter is a variation of the standard Moog filter, which is much like a wah. It has a frequency that it effects, and it can resonate which emphasizes that frequency, cuts those above it and de-emphasizes those below it in contrast. I think the filter in the MF Drive is fixed gain, but allows you to set the frequency it emphasizes. So, peak increases resonance, increasing the gain at the filter frequency you set, and de-emphasizing above and below it.

4. JBassTeleGit

JBassTeleGit Member

The Filter is a low pass filter and the cut-off frequency is controlled by the Filter knob. Everything above that frequency are attenuated with 24 dB's/octave. So really it cuts top end quite sharply at the chosen frequency.

The Peak switch adds 15 dB's of gain at the cut-off frequency. A Resonant Low Pass Filter. It may sound as if it cuts lows, but it emphasizes a peak of frequency before clipping and therefore this narrow peak is more pronounced. This is different from a wah, as most Wah's are essentially band pass filters that removes highs and lows outside of the range of the filter.

A resonant low pass filter that opens and closes keeps the lows unaffected, which a band pass filter does not. For a bass player, electronic/synth bass or for a regular bass guitar, this makes quite a difference.

This picture should illustrate a Low Pass Filter with a frequency curve. The Filter knob changes the frequency of the "knee" of the filter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Become one of my fave pedals. Very unique with a lot
    of tone sculpting capabilities. Can use it as a peak freq
    pedal that acts like a cocked wah to drive another pedal,
    or the front-end of an amp.

I also use it to darken or brighten specific guitar parts in a
    guitar dense mix. It's a great pedal to help various guitar
    parts become more distinct, so that multiple tracks don't
    blanket each other and become indistinguishable.

I don't use the gain/drive much on mine. I set that quite low
    and use the pedal and its peak freq abilities to shape and sculpt
    tone.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

JBTG, I've been told that the performance of the filter below the peak is determined by the type of filter. Some of them use makeup gain to keep the frequency response flat below the peak, others gradually lose lower frequencies like you describe in a wah pedal. I do agree, though, that to my ears the Moog filter appears to retain bass.