Help me understand something - buffer related?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ryandfl, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I tried a new pedal combo tonight and something confusing happened. Hoping someone can explain it.

I have a Sunface TI UK. Sounds great, but on mine the volume has to be maxed to hit unity gain, which seems odd.

I put a Grand Orbiter phaser before it for the first time. With the Sunface off, the Grand Orbiter on/off was just about equal volume. Super small boost when on.

When the Sunface was on and the Grand Orbiter was on, however, there was a very clear boost. The Sunface was definitely being driven. Turn the Grand Orbiter off, and the Sunface went back to normal.

So the GO was only producing a boost when booth it and the Sunface were on.

What's the deal? Is this a buffer effect?

...I don't understand buffers?!

2. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The Sunface expects to see the guitar pickups directly (it loads down the pickups quite a bit, which is part of the sound). When you insert the phaser before it, you're decoupling the pickups from the Sunface - the phaser output is now driving the fuzz, and since it's less affected by loading, the sound gets louder and much brighter.