Help me understand what I need to build a rack. Seriously confused ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarrhinoceros, Feb 22, 2012.

1. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

Okay, I've done a LOT of research. Enough to make myself crazy. I have a two channel amp that does not have a MIDI out. For pedals, I have an Eventide Space and various other stomp boxes that I run out front or in the loop of my amp. I am wanting to get more concise control over my rig and end the crazy tap dancing I've come so accustomed to doing. I've checked out the RJM stuff and it looks very good. My plan is to order a Mini Amp Gizmo (to control my amp's channels), an Effects Gizmo (so I could have up to 12 loops for stomp boxes), a Ground Control Pro MIDI controller, and the necessary rack components. Is there anything I'm missing? The Space also should be fed with MIDI so that I could control it's various presets with a single stomp on my Ground Control Pro, right?

Thanks. This is confusing. I'm almost contemplating going the GSystem IB Modified route in all honesty, and running my EVH Flanger and Phaser in the loops (for the "in the front of the amp" mod sounds), and using the G to control my Space via MIDI. What do you all think would be the easiest and best solution?

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

RJM sells a unit that has the amp gizmo and looper in one. So that may be a good way to go. If your amp only has two channels and uses a TRS or mono latching switch you may not need the amp gizmo functions, unless your amp lets you control fx loop on/off, reverb and/or solo boost.

Using something like the ground control pro will help you manage your loops, amp, and midi settings of your midi devices. I am not sure about the cost of the RJM mastermind is, but I think the GCP has more features, though the master mind has a smaller footprint. Both excellent choices.

Alternatively, you could go with a GCX + Control Switcher from Voodo Lab. It will handle your loops and your amp like a charm. It will also be cheaper than the RJM.

3. guitarrhinoceros

Yeah, but I'd have to buy at least $100 in pedal jumper cables for the GCX Switching System. The RJM looks like the way to go.

My amp is a TRS thing, with two channels. Which product from RJM would suit me best? Or should I get the GSystem IB Modified?

4. rp108

rp108 Member

Save yourself the trouble brother. It isn't worth it unless you have a full time tech. That is unless you want to dick around with your gear more than playing.

I dumped my rack a couple of months ago and never looked back.

Had two GCX units, two rack drawers filled with pedals, a midi controller with a pedalboard up front, a **** ton of overpriced cable, humfrees, cable mounts/tie, even had a custom rack interface being built at one point.

Setup time is longer. Good luck finding a bad/noisy cable in that rig. When I had it all setup and I got this enormous hum EVEN after all the precautionary steps with the best power supplies and cables. There is nothing worse than debugging that kind of rig. And actually lugging it around sucks. lol

I am down to two small pedalboards with WAY less cable, easier travel and faster setups and most importantly, it sounds way better.

/end rant

5. guitarrhinoceros

And that's the other side of the argument I was looking for honestly! And I am a bit leery of this potential reality, hence the reason I am seriously looking into the GSystem IB Modified and the Line 6 M13. Lessen the chances for headaches and the potential to things going wrong! Like you said, a rack leaves more to trouble shoot.

I really need a separate midi controller to instantly access my Space presets on the fly. It would be nice to go from dirty to clean as well, with that level of ease.

6. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Don't go dismissing a rack because there are potential issues. They exist with any system and when properly asembled they can be bullet proof.

The biggest issues to consider include the gear you will have to add to make the rack happen and the programming.

If your goal is merely to switch channels and MIDI control the Eventide, I would consider something like the Musicom Lab switcher built into a pedal board:

http://www.musicomlab.co.uk/

The G System is great and I have a board built around one but it may be more than you need.

Matt

7. guitarrhinoceros

I hear ya, but I really like the Ground Control Pro since I could have eight different reverb presets right in front of me, without having to bank up of down. Anything to simplify things is a plus for me when I am up on stage. I can't stand all the tap dancing. I also use some modulation pedals right now (and have historically used globs of reverb and delay) and can't stand the momentary lulls I have during songs where the reverb and delays need to stop right when I switch channels on my amp. I need more versatility.

I've heard great things about the Musicomlab unit.

8. matt5150

I have a big rack with all the presets and an expanded RS-10 and it is great.

I also have a custom board that L.A. Sound design built for me that is equally great.

There are compromises with each so I have both. The GCX and GCP are a great system together and you coudl build a small rack rig that would not be too complicated.

The GCX can EASILY be internally jumpered to avoid the cabling issues, but the RG-16 I use already is jumpered and controls the channel switching on my CAE and Bogner preamps.

You are fortunate because there are so many optiosn available now.

Matt

Matt

9. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

i love the rack/pedals thing too. my own personal experience is that i should not have all this gear just so i can have all the whacked out presets that i may or may not (99% of the time, not.) use. i found that using the RJM mastermind is working out better for me than the GCP. less options, therefore all the core tones i really utilize. when it all came down to it, i only needed variations on a clean, dirty, and solo tone with or without delay... all that gear for that... i will say i do love it tho!
    i guess the moral of the story is to buy the gear that will accommodate your main needs, as opposed to the wants. chances are is thats all the extra stuff will turn out to be...

10. guitarrhinoceros

Thanks for taking the time, Matt! I appreciate it. You are right, I do have lots of options. That is part of what is making my head spin. I was looking into the CAE MIDI Controllers. They look fab! Definitely befitting of the TGP! ;)

How do you like the GSystem?

11. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

Very true! Go big bro!

12. matt5150

It's great, but my G System board must weigh 75 pounds on the KK board.

Lots of cabling go on as well.

Matt

13. guitarrhinoceros

Good points. The reason I am going this route however is because I haven't been fully utilizing the sounds in my head, due to the complications that are present with my current setup. Hence, the reason I need more functionality and simplicity.

14. guitarrhinoceros

I can imagine! I had a GSystem for a brief period when my other guitarist introduced me to one. He didn't hang on to it because he thought it was too much of a pain in the ass to setup. Personally, I don't see how that is true. The software editor really looks like it simplifies the entire process nicely.

15. matt5150

The big issue is getting the level issues sorted out. It has a myriad of great features once you get passed the steep learning curve.

[​IMG]

Matt

16. guitarrhinoceros

Nice looking board. You must gig a lot, right? A pro board and a rack to boot. Geez!

17. rp108

rp108 Member

If you do build a rack, please PM me when you are done. I am letting you know now I am going to say "told you so" a bunch of times. :p