1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me want a Sunface

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadlyorigami, Feb 14, 2009.

1. deadlyorigami

deadlyorigami Member

Would a Sun Face be redundant if I already have a ZVex Fuzz Factory. Now I know these are 2 different beasts but, they are both based on the Fuzz Face and I'm just wondering if they are different enough to want 2 germanium fuzzes.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Im not sure that the Fuzz Factory is at all based on anything much less a Fuzz Face...I had one years ago (still wish I had it!) and it sounded nothing like a Fuzz Face FWIW...now the Sunface sounds like the best germanium Fuzz Face you ever heard, I have 2 and love them!

3. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

FuzzFactory is just not for me, but as for a FuzzFace I will always have/use one of these. I think they are different enough to own both.

4. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

What is not to want..? They are the best fuzzface clones out there...(along with mjm london's)... I'm sure you'll find it quite different to your zvex...

5. acwild

acwild Member

These two are totally different fuzzes. The Fuzz Factory is more high gain and the Sun Face low. Most of my fuzzes sound best with single coils and aren't always usable with neck pickups. My Sun Face breaks that rule and sounds great with anything.
    I always liked the way the Sun Face sounds but the best results came when I dialed the volume to max, Sun Dial to max, turned the internal trim pot down, then adjusted the fuzz dial to match my pickups, now it's one of my favorite pedals. Normally I prefer amp gain for dirt but I absolutely love the Sun Face sound for low to medium gain. Awesome pedal. Now I gotta check out a Peppermint Fuzz.:dude

6. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

A two-fuzz setup like that would cover a lot of ground, enough for me; and you have so much tweakability, you could really set them up to be very differnt sounding, and yet have a continuity.

7. acwild

acwild Member

I'm going to say that my Sun Face is set up not to sound like a fuzz so I'd need the FF for fuzz effects.:D

8. drolling

drolling Member

Someday, I'll have both!

Right now, I have neither, but I do have a question; I've read 'germanium' in post after post, but isn't the Fuzz Face is a silicon based fuzz?

I know the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face I just got is definitely silicon. Did they make both back in the 60s/70s?

I love my Tone-bender style germanium fuzzes, so I guess I'd really dig a Ge FF. How do they compare to the Si version??

9. deadlyorigami

deadlyorigami Member

Thanks everyone. I needed some enabling. I'll be getting one ASAP.

10. acwild

acwild Member

Try the settings that I posted and I will almost guarantee that you'll love the pedal. I love overdrives but the Sun Face has completely changed my opinion of what fuzzes are capable of. The sound that I get from it with my Strat is one that I've been after for years although I went via overdrive/distortion pedals. Never thought I'd finally get it from a fuzz. Sounds great with a Les Paul too. Neck pickups have note clarity as well. Absolutely amazing fuzz pedal.
    I'd recommend the on/off dial option now that I have hindsight. The 9-volt adapter thingy is a pain because you can't close the case all the way and need to make a shim. I wonder if I can send mine back for the mod.

11. TeeVee

TeeVee Member

Early Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face = Germanium
    Later Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face = Silicon

Check out this Dunlop fuzz face shootout
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJ0RbqMskA&feature=channel_page

12. GUAL

GUAL Member

@acwild: thank you very much, for this tip. You're right, it allmost transforms the Sun Face in to another pedal. And for me, it makes it a lot easier to control the pedal with a Les Paul ( Strats just sound good with the Sun Face regardless ) In my Sun Face there's a little bit of hiss, when i max the volume, but i can live with that.

Cheers Torben

13. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Totally different. The Fuzzfactory is not based on a fuzz face, though you can find a decent "fuzz face" type tones out of it. It's wilder, brighter and tweakable than say any Fuzz Face clones (like Sunface or MJM London Fuzz). How to use it (fuzzfactory) is really up to you.

14. acwild

acwild Member

You're welcome. :BEER I completely agree. For me, it changed my Sun Face from a cool pedal to my main pedal. I never thought that I'd be able to use a fuzz with my Les Paul.

15. drolling

drolling Member

Hey thanks TV! That explains why Fulltone calls his fuzzes the '69 & the '70.

And I appreciate the link as well. The Jimi FuzzFace was my 1st pedal purchase in over 2 years! Been wondering about the old red one as well, but I've already got at least 3 other germ based fuzzes...

Like someone above mentioned, you can get some very natural sounding overdriven tones from a germanium fuzz - better than many OD pedals out there!

16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

You will love it, great w/ single coils or buckers :phones