HElp me with a lead tone.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcormier, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

ok, im looking for an amp-like pedal that will bring me into brian may type leads. i will be playing a mahogany bodied strat into a DRZ mazerati (which i dont have yet)

I was thinking either a E or a EGDM.

Maxim

2. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I'm thinking just a good ole treble booster of some kind will get you there with a cranked Mazeratti. No need to spend uber bucks...unless that floats your boat.:)

Bob

3. Don L

Don L Member

I have the CJOD SN #1...

4. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i will have the mazerati set for semi clean.

5. raz

raz Member

That little Vox lunchbox-sized Brian May amplifier is alleged by May to be an authentic reproduction of the "Deacy" amp he uses as a preamp in the studio, and I've heard good things about it from many others. Live he's historically only used a treble booster, and there are a number of choices there.

6. mcormier

mcormier Guest

what exactly does the CJOD sound like?

7. Don L

Don L Member

It's voicing is similar to LDO and has more clear, open, less compressed character to it.

My post was in response to Big Bob's signature line...:D

8. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

My "sources" tell me that Brian May is actually using some BJF stuff now...I just don't know which model(s), or any specifics...just what I've heard. EGDM definitely does the Vox thing. Beautiful, open-sounding chords with compressed, sustainy single note lines (a lot like cooking EL84's).

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget to add some delay too, which is critical to that sound. My pick would be something that simulates a tape delay, or if you can afford it, get a real tape delay unit, like an EP-3.

For OD, I'd pick up a Crowther Hot Cake, but those Mazerati amps also sound really nice with Zvex SHO's pushing their front ends.

11. erksin

erksin Member

I agree with the Treble Booster recommendation - once you hear one, you'll know why everybody suggests it for Brian May tones.

12. Cussion

Cussion Member

I think it's very hard to get a sound that's close to May without a Rangemaster-type pedal.. you can plug into an AC30 and crank it up, and there's always something missing there.. that midrange and harmonics.