Help me with a new 6L6GC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mooncusser, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I am currently on the search for a new quad of 6L6GC's for my 1959 SLP reissue. Currently, there are Mesa 6L6GC's in the amp now, but are needing a new set soon.
    I think I have it down to the SED winged "C" 6L6GC's, or the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's. If any one has had some expirience with either one of these brands, please by all means submit your opinions on thier tone charactors, dynamics,and performance, fire them at me.
    If any one has any other suggestions as manufacturer type, I am open to those suggestions as well.
    I haven't had much education on the Mesa 6L6GC's that are currently in the amp, but something tells me there are better 6L6Gc's on the market. I am speaking of current production tubes.
    Thank you for your time and efforts,
    Mass

2. Roe

Roe Member

sed "C" works will. TAD is also supposed to be good

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

My fave current 6L6GC is the JJ. I've tried a few others, and the JJ's give me the best clarity AND warmth. I liked the Svets (=C=) alright, but they sounded a bit more unfocused in comparison. I also have a friend who replaced some Mesas in his DC-5 with the JJ 6L6's and he was amazed with the improvement. Great, full sounding tubes.

Talk to Bob at Eurotubes if you want... he's very responsive.
    http://www.eurotubes.com/

-Ben

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I know that this tennis matches around, so it's great to get some personnal views here.
    Bob at Eurotubes says the JJ 6L6GC is the superior in tone,
    And Doug from Doug's Tubes (Unbelievably knowledgeable and proficient tube dealer, great guy as well), acknowldeges the dynamics of the JJ's, but claims the SED =C= 6L6GC's have a bit more charactor to them.

I have had the =C='s, but never had the chance to A/B them against the JJ's
    I still don't understand the whole MESA tube make and variable models, or where they come from.
    Take care and keep it comming, Mass

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's shocking that someone who sells only one brand would say that his brand is "superior". :D

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

So what's you're favorite between the JJ's and the =C='s?

I think they both have their applications... if I had a bright amp and wanted a thicker sound, I'd go with the =C='s. I loved their EL34's in my Riveras.

However, I tend to like darker amps... and the non-harsh clarity the JJ's give is VERY welcome in them. The whole blanket-off-the-amp experience.

Any tube choice is very amp dependent (and ear dependent!), and the only way you're going to know for sure is to plop down a few $20's and try out a few brands. The SED's, JJ's, and Rubys are not expensive and it'll be worth the experience.

-Ben

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Blue strat,

Haha, I agree. I wasn't in any way trying to say anything bad or in any way demean bob (he has a great reputation)...he just sticks by and truly believes in his product.
    Just trying to show the spin side on opinions concerning tube makes.
    In one way or other I am sure they are both right.

Like some one said... It is all what your ears tell you, in the end.
    I really wish there was a way or a site (maybe there is, but I don't know about it) allowing people to compare these different models of tubes by way of simplified sound bytes and generic applications,;ie Fender strat through bassman W/ JJ's, and again with SED, also followed by, les paul through 1959 SLP W/ JJ's, and then SED's
    That would be a great resource.
    Cheers,
    Mass

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Good point BenC,

and well taken. I have a SLP..(bright in its own respect), with a strat w/ CS '69's. Maybe that is why I am drawn to the SED's But, you brought up something very interesting for me. Could you please expound on the clarity/ blanket off the amp effect you were reporting on?
    I really liked that analogy, and would love to hear more of it if you don't mind. I have never heard it put that way.

Thanks for your time,
    Mass

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I know for a fact that NO NEW PRODUCTION POWER TUBES are more reliable than the SEDs. Some may be equal, but not superior.

I make no tonal claims as it's simply not possible to predict what will "sound good" to another person. I'm not sure why anyone would patronize someone who claims to be able to "get inside your head" and tell you what you like.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Sounds like the SEDs would work for you nicely- I've never played through one, but the SEDs (IMO) would make it a little thicker in the mids and smooth out the highs.

The clarity / blanket thing. It can mean several things in different combinations. Or all at once. For me there are a few components in something having 'more clarity':

1) The highs are more clear (defined) BUT not harsh or 'acoustic'-ish. Like realizing the tone knob on your guitar was on '9' for the past 30 minutes, then you put it back to '10'.
    2) The mids aren't as 'wooly'. Some amps / tubes / cables / pedals sound like there's some mushiness surrounding the middle frequencies... like they smear together a bit... not as defined. Of course, you want some mid thickness (not to be confused with a mid hump), but sometimes it gets a bit too 'wooly' for me.
    3) The bass is powerful and full, but tight. Sometimes the bass is so loose, you could be a 1/2 step off and not quite know it. Sometimes the bass is too thin. I DO like plenty of bass available, and appreciate some looseness to it... but I still want clarity... I want to know what the note is and hear the string.
    4) Better string-to-string definition. Although I admit I do have a hard time hearing this one from time to time.

At least those are the criteria in MY head.

So, when I experienced the 'blanket off my amp' effect, I was hearing clearer highs, and less wooly mids specifically in my situation. Better definition, but not 'hi-fi' or 'acoustic'-y. Which I know some people like.

-Ben

11. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

BenC,

Thank you so much for all that info....................
    Descriptive and informative. You did a really good job there and you taught me something as well.
    I appreciate that.:AOK
    Best regards as always,
    Mass

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No problem and good luck with the hunt!
    After trying a few brands, you'll definately come up with your own mental pictures and have a better idea of what you're shooting for. Have fun with it!

-Ben