Help me with Feedback on my Martin

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sws1, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sws1

sws1 Member

I have a Martin 000c-16rgte Aura that I bought solely for gigging. Plays real easy, and I can do leads on it, etc. (I leave my Taylor 810 at home.)

However, even with the rubber sound hole cover, the guitar feedbacks very easily. I switch the phase, I try to identify the note, etc. Nothing. It ALWAYS wants to feedback when I play the open G chord.

Is there anything I can do? Stuff a towel inside?

2. Redrum

Redrum Member

That's a tricky question. I have the same guitar myself and have delt with the feedback issue as well. What kind of amplification are you using? Straight into the P.A.? , directly into an acoustic amp or a combination of both? I run my 000C-16RGTE into a Fishman Loudbox and run that out to a small P.A. system. It's a great sound, but needs some tweeking to avoid the feedback your talking about. I don't always get feedback, but when I do I start with the phase and feedback controls on the guitar's preamp. If that doesn't help, I go to the amp and hit the phase switch there, then go to the amp's feedback control. That usually takes care of it, but if I still get any wailing I'll start trimming the mids down starting at the guitar, then the amp, and finally the board.

Also watch the position of other mics (if you use them) - especially vocal mics and condensor's, their position and levels can often be the culprit as well.

Hang in there, you'll eventually figure it out.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

I've always used it directly into a PA, via a direct box.

I just re-read the manual. Didn't realize there was a polarity switch for the bridge, independent of the Aura. I wonder if somehow the polarity is setup incorrectly.

Strangely (or not), when the feedback starts, I can feel the guitar like it's gonna explode. Those open strings come alive. Don't really have the problem with fretted notes.

4. Redrum

Redrum Member

Just out of curiosity, you might want to try taking the direct box out of your chain and see what happens. I'm thinking you might have a little too much gain going on with Aura preamp going into the direct box, then the P.A.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing a topic about adjusting the input/output levels of the Aura preamp in the manual somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help there, but it would be a good place to start (at the source that is). I'm thinking you have a little too much gain in your signal chain somewhere. Maybe you just need to adjust the output level on the onboard Aura preamp.

5. AcousticDude

AcousticDude Member

I have a JC-16RE with the Aura and I have to be in the middle of a lot of volume to get that G string going wild, but I know what you are saying. To stop it I just palm mute and then change position away from any of the monitors. Changing the phase switch may work, but when it has happened I've been in the middle of a live song and can't really fiddle. When playing in the mix of normal volume songs, I have no problems. I go straight into a PA as well. If I use the Para DI, I get some more control, but have still experienced the feedback from time to time. Lately I've been using my Genz Benz as a monitor and going into the PA direct from the amp. I haven't had a problem since making that switch.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so is this the body howling, or just the strings taking off? i.e, can you stop the feedback by grabbing the strings?

7. sws1

sws1 Member

I can control it by muting the strings. In fact, the last open mic i did, I ended up switching to G-barre chords instead of the open G chords that I usually play. Sort of ruined the song, given the little riffs based on open G, but I needed to adapt mid-song.

8. Redrum

Redrum Member

Somethings up sws1, you should be able to play open G chords at healthy volumes and still be able to control the feedback. Did you try adjusting the output level of the onboard Aura yet?

9. Zakko

Zakko Member

Phenomenal.

10. sws1

sws1 Member

Not yet

What's phenomenal?

11. RobbyRobinson

RobbyRobinson Member

Maybe the venue DI from LR Baggs. It lets you isolate specific frequencies that are feeding back and PURGE them.