help me with Fuzzes noise (Sunface, Beano, StoneBender)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dirtytony, Dec 27, 2009.

1. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

Hi
    I own 3 great fuzzes which Im settled on, all 3 of them have great sound : Beano, Sunface & StoneBender, only problem is that all 3 have a noticeable background noise, my rig is quiet plugging my LP into plexi replica doesnt give me noise but all these fuzzes (I use only one at once never combine 'em) do and I dont like it when I play, I recall my DAM and my ProAnalog both were quieter and both have shielded cables inside, if I recall correctly, could it be that the issue? or its the PCB vs PTP construction??
    thanks a lot for any help you can provide me Im desperate I have lots of great tone sbut I dont fell comfortable when Im giggin with this noise on my back...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  2. HBob

HBob Member

My SunFace is very quiet. No noise issues at all. Not sure what's going on there.

3. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

mmm very strange mine has definitely noise in background

no one else can help ???

4. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

need some clues :-(

5. braken

braken Member

Are your pedals anywhere close to a computer/TV? The little hole my gf has penned me into for practicing is also my computer area and turning the monitor off makes a world of difference in terms of noise. I run P90's and they seem to be pretty sensitive though.

6. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

Ive noticed that problem is when go out playing you cant tell to switch everything off :-(

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

that's strange - my sunface is dead quiet, with batteries and a pedalpower2+. only time it was way wrong was when i put a onespot into it, oops.

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

What guitar and rig are you running?

9. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

LP R9 and Marshall plexi, pedals : Strobostomp2-Vox wah-Sunface-EHX DMM

10. Jahn

pedalpower2+?

11. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

yes I use it for powering sorry forgot to mention...

12. Jahn

hmm then that's really odd. don't know what to say here unfortunately. did you try powering JUST the sunface, then putting just the sunface in the chain? it may be the wah in the chain, who knows.

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hmmmm....couple possibilities. Where are you placing these pedals in your chain when using them? Also, maybe a better buffer app. would work well with these three pedals?

14. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thanks for the support guys but also if I ohnly use LP - SF (or Beano or StoneB) - Plexi, I got an instant increase in background noise when I engage the fuzz, Im not saying that its an hell of noise but I hear it on my back and I dont feel comfortable anymore with playing....

15. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Not sure if it makes a difference my friend... but I play a Marshall 1959 SLP myself. I have noticed some noise - feedback w/ fuzz. Sometimes it's the nature of the beast to have some noise w/ these units, just an fyi... Is this your first time using analog fuzz pedals?

16. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Interesting that you are experiencing it with all 3.
    With humbuckers it should be minimal, but definately some noise into a Plexi.

Is it more of a hiss, or a/c line noise? (60cycle hum)
    Is it worse with your vol. all the way off as opposed to say 1 or 2, or the same?

17. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

that makes sense, sincerely Im using fuzz pedals by a couple years as Im a straight in guy, I have had many couldnt even recall but no one gave me "that" the 3 I mentioned above are the best Ive ever found (count in also Pro Analog MKII which I stupidly sold 2 years ago) but that noise you also feel always make me do a step back... its also strange : sometimes its subtle and you can live with that easily but it occurs also a bit worse and gives me bad feelings reason Ive started this topic is that I recall my D*A*M MKII and also my ProAnalog MKII where both quieter and I was recalling both where sporting shielded cables so I was guessing that putting on shielded cable would help me but Im no tech and I know there are many skilled guys here so.... ;-)

it seem more line noise its like listening to an old radio while you search a station and you dont find anything
    guitar volume doesnt do much but pedals knobs do, you begin hearin it with SF after noon, with Stone Bender after 10:00 and with Beano after 11:00
    :-((((

18. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I'm not so sure shielded cables would eliminate the logistical circuitry that is interacting with your rig though...there are some pedals I cant use with my Plexi because of the intense noise or interference....even with shielding.
    BC-109's seem to do this to my rig.

19. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

thats interesting... I had also a silicon SunFace and a Dunlop FF (the silicon transistor handwired one) and both were quieter... I got rid of both 'cause they were too bright for my tastes

20. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Yeah...surprised me to. Those BC-109's are HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe the pedals you posted above use 108's