• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help me with my first post rock/shoe gaze/ambient pedalboard !

For Postrock (Explosions, Mogwai, TWDY...) id only add another delay, maybe a multidelay (flashback x4 is pretty cheap and sound great, plus the looper)... most of big postrock bands dont have a huge pedalboards, a couple of delays, a reverb (or 2 if you are into Mono) and another one or 2 distortions; except God Is An Astronaut which used rack gear and some pedals too, right now not even amps, all kemper and rackmount pedals.

If you are more into Ambient id add mod pedals too and.

minty901

i dont think tremolo is in any way an effect that is common in postrock or shoegaze or whatever. not sure why thats being suggested. tremolo picking -- the playing technique which has nothing to do with tremolo effect -- is almost ubiquitous in postrock. but the effect? no, i wouldnt make that a priority. but hey, you can still do nice things with all kinds of effects so have at it and be creative. but i dont think its necessarily pertinent to OP's question.

if im wrong, point me to some examples where tremolo effect is used as core to the genres' sound.

minty901

as others have said, you do have enough effects to get a great postrock sound. i would suggest learning the playing techniques you need first before spending unnecessary money. that said you cant go wrong with the zoom ms70cdr.

edit: actually, your rv5 probably wont get as deep as you might want for twdy and ambient stuff. tc hall of fame would work well, as would the boss rv6.

another delay wouldnt hurt. i like the tc alter ego v2.

i dont think tremolo is in any way an effect that is common in postrock or shoegaze or whatever. not sure why thats being suggested. tremolo picking -- the playing technique which has nothing to do with tremolo effect -- is almost ubiquitous in postrock. but the effect? no, i wouldnt make that a priority. but hey, you can still do nice things with all kinds of effects so have at it and be creative. but i dont think its necessarily pertinent to OP's question.

if im wrong, point me to some examples where tremolo effect is used as core to the genres' sound.

Most gybe songs?

mewwiess

For Postrock (Explosions, Mogwai, TWDY...) id only add another delay, maybe a multidelay (flashback x4 is pretty cheap and sound great, plus the looper)... most of big postrock bands dont have a huge pedalboards, a couple of delays, a reverb (or 2 if you are into Mono) and another one or 2 distortions; except God Is An Astronaut which used rack gear and some pedals too, right now not even amps, all kemper and rackmount pedals.

If you are more into Ambient id add mod pedals too and.

Hi sir! I think my board is quite like mogwai ( big long pedalboard) !

mewwiess

Hi! I might be wrong, i know kevin shield use the trem arm on his JM but doesn't he use the tremolo pedal? I remember seeing the boss tremolo/pan somewhere on his pedalboard...

minty901

Most gybe songs?
Share me a time stamp on a song of theirs? I know bands use tremolo but that doesn't mean tremolo is at all necessary to sound like the genre, if you know what I mean. It's like saying you need a cowbell to play post-rock because pg.lost used a cowbell on one of their songs. Or that you need a flute to play post-rock because Sigur Ros or Ef use a flute. I just think tremolo is completey non-essential because the vast majority of post-rock bands either don't use it at all, or use it only sparingly in a way that supplements the music but isn't "defining" of the genre if that makes any sense at all.

minty901

Hi! I might be wrong, i know kevin shield use the trem arm on his JM but doesn't he use the tremolo pedal? I remember seeing the boss tremolo/pan somewhere on his pedalboard...
Maybe he uses it but it doesn't mean you need one to sound like mbv. If you have a limited budget then you really shouldn't be looking at recreating Kevin Shields's board IMO. I feel like it's good to prioritise, and for a post-rock sound (since you implied you're leaning more towards post-rock than shoegaze), I don't see tremolo as being essential in any way at all.

mewwiess

Maybe he uses it but it doesn't mean you need one to sound like mbv. If you have a limited budget then you really shouldn't be looking at recreating Kevin Shields's board IMO. I feel like it's good to prioritise, and for a post-rock sound (since you implied you're leaning more towards post-rock than shoegaze), I don't see tremolo as being essential in any way at all.

I do agree, i'm leaning towards the reverb-delay kinda thing and zoom 70cdr is on my radar right now

unreal77

Dd-7 and or zoom cdr. Have both and love them... Although I have a Keeley caverns too and a Strymon Dig,

Have fun.

Most gybe songs?
Share me a time stamp on a song of theirs? I know bands use tremolo but that doesn't mean tremolo is at all necessary to sound like the genre, if you know what I mean. It's like saying you need a cowbell to play post-rock because pg.lost used a cowbell on one of their songs. Or that you need a flute to play post-rock because Sigur Ros or Ef use a flute. I just think tremolo is completey non-essential because the vast majority of post-rock bands either don't use it at all, or use it only sparingly in a way that supplements the music but isn't "defining" of the genre if that makes any sense at all.

I don't have time to prove where gybe used a trem, but Efrim has an empress trem and a Fulltone trem on his board.

Just play yanqui uxo and trem starts almost right away. Fwiw, I play post rock, I don't use a trem pedal regularly. I'm not sure why you're turning this into a huge debate. Trem isn't that uncommon in post rock.

minty901

Most gybe songs?

I don't have time to prove where gybe used a trem, but Efrim has an empress trem and a Fulltone trem on his board.

Just play yanqui uxo and trem starts almost right away. Fwiw, I play post rock, I don't use a trem pedal regularly. I'm not sure why you're turning this into a huge debate. Trem isn't that uncommon in post rock.

not turning it into a huge debate im just trying to help op spend his/her money wisely. yes gybe uses a trem as do a number of bands but its not specifically a post-rock thing and doesnt really evoke that style. i play postrock and i do use a trem. but if someone is looking to achieve a postrock sound on a limited budget, i dont think the trem is good to recommend because it isnt a defining characteristic of the genre, thats all. it gets used sure but it doesnt (imo) help to sound more like a postrock band, regardless of how nice trems sound. i think money would be better spent on more reverbs and delays. if you were in a gybe cover band then a trem would be necessary ill say. im just thinking about what are the defining characteristics of most postrock, and how best to achieve the postrock sound as easily as possible. a trem would be a good way to embelish your style once youve already established your sound i think, 100%. but in the first instance, op is looking to get a twdy / russian circles wall of sound, and a trem is irrelevant for that specific quest. so im trying to answer that quest first and foremost.

Last edited:

Kestrel

There are a bunch of pedals you could consider that will excel at the sounds you're after, but given the pedals you already have and your budget restrictions, I can't think of a better option than the Zoom CDR-70. You'll have a bunch of different choruses, flangers, delays and reverbs at your disposal and you can mix their order or stack them as you like. It even has a tuner.

mewwiess

There are a bunch of pedals you could consider that will excel at the sounds you're after, but given the pedals you already have and your budget restrictions, I can't think of a better option than the Zoom CDR-70. You'll have a bunch of different choruses, flangers, delays and reverbs at your disposal and you can mix their order or stack them as you like. It even has a tuner.

Is the delay on the CDR-70 good? I've only heard good things about the reverb, didn't here much about the delay part !

drabombs

The Boss PN-2 was used by the Shoegazers. OP didn't say he wanted a strictly Post-Rock board.

Will the boss tr2 do the job? I have no knowledge with chorus pedals, probably the zoom will do the job as its a Chorus,delay,reverb pedal!

Yes. And yes it could, why not?

mewwiess

not turning it into a huge debate im just trying to help op spend his/her money wisely. yes gybe uses a trem as do a number of bands but its not specifically a post-rock thing and doesnt really evoke that style. i play postrock and i do use a trem. but if someone is looking to achieve a postrock sound on a limited budget, i dont think the trem is good to recommend because it isnt a defining characteristic of the genre, thats all. it gets used sure but it doesnt (imo) help to sound more like a postrock band, regardless of how nice trems sound. i think money would be better spent on more reverbs and delays. if you were in a gybe cover band then a trem would be necessary ill say. im just thinking about what are the defining characteristics of most postrock, and how best to achieve the postrock sound as easily as possible. a trem would be a good way to embelish your style once youve already established your sound i think, 100%. but in the first instance, op is looking to get a twdy / russian circles wall of sound, and a trem is irrelevant for that specific quest. so im trying to answer that quest first and foremost.

I might get a trem IF I've got any cash left to spend.... I might just add an extra flavour to my rig but now I'm gonna get myself a Zoom CDR ! ( I'm guessing that I can get it second hand for around $80-100 )

Trending Topics

Top Bottom