Help me with my overdrive dilemma...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kevinsaari, Jan 3, 2008.

1. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

Hey guys. Everyone here is bonkers about overdrive pedals, so hopefully you can all collectively help me out. I rarely use any sort of dirt, but I need something sometimes. Right now on my board for dirt, I have a Fuzz Factory and Bad Monkey. The Bad Monkey is just there to fill my needs temporarily until I find something better.

Basically, I'm looking for something that doesn't color my tone. I want it to be clear and not have the blanket-over-the-amp sound. I want something that is touch-sensitive/dynamic and low gain. I hear everyone raving about the Eternity and Timmy and all those, but I'm not sure the differences, to be honest.

I'm willing to spend up to around $250 or so, but I'd rather spend a little less if possible. I'm a college student with not much money to throw around.

Thanks guys.

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Different ODs tend to work better with different set ups.

What are you using for guitars and amps?
    What style of music do you like to play?

3. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

My main guitar is a Dual Pickup Melody Maker. I play through a Traynor YBA-1 and Avatar 2x12. (Sometimes using a Valve Junior for home jamming.)

The music I play is I guess what you'd call "ambient", although I dislike that term. Solo guitar work with looping and stuff. Sort of similar to Gregor Samsa, if you have heard them.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

NOC3 Pure Drive would fit what you want nicely.

5. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Check out the Maxon VOP-9. It's touch sensitive, big and open sounding, and very natural. Killer deal for $200. The Eternity is great but I really feel you need a buffer or a pedal with a good buffer right after it to open the pedal up. The Eternity is still great without the buffer infront of it, but it will sound darker overall.

6. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

timmy or keeley bd-2. timmy is clearer, but bd2 is very very nice as well.

eternity is one of the most "colorful" overdrives out there...

7. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em coming. I really appreciate it.

I really know very little about overdrives because it's an effect that I don't use as much as others. The Pure Drive looks awesome. The blend knob would come in handy a lot.

Thiscalltoarms, (or anyone else, really) could you describe the Timmy sound?

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I sent you a pm.

9. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

More recommendations, please? :).

10. rewog

rewog Member

If you're looking for no coloration - the Tim or Timmy is a great choice.

11. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Barber LTD SR - I don't own the SR, but have the standard black LTD (it adds some mids which I like with my setup). The LTD SR is voiced flat with the tone control at noon, so it shouldn't color your tone much at all. The LTD's are excellent low gain OD's, readily available, and inexpensive for the quality ($125 new for the LTD SR).

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Hmmm Klon springs to mind, better get a day job first though..

13. amphead777

amphead777 Member

+1 for the LTD SR. Another good choice is the Hot Cake.

14. Joses

Joses Member

Timmy :AOK

15. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

Thanks guys! I have a lot of research to do. I appreciate all the suggestions. :).

I really like the idea of the blend knob on the NOC3 Pure Drive. I think I need to research this option further..

16. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Timmy or Menatone Red Snapper.

17. TJSmitty

TJSmitty Member

You are talking about the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine.

Unlike the Eternity, Timmy, and other TS derived od's often discussed here, it does not use an opamp or diodes in a single clipping stage, but rather Jfets in two cascaded gain stages (like a tube amp), making for far greater dynamic response, and a smoother texture. Your pick attack becomes an important asset to your sound with this pedal.

The timbre of this pedal is somewhat woody, and very tweed-like, but utterly transparent in regards to "boosting" frequencies (no mid cut or hump).

You can read more about the unique frequency/gain stage/texture dual-drive knobs here on the subdecay website:

http://www.subdecay.com/ls.htm

and here's a gut pic which shows the ingenuity involved in the design of this pedal (truly unique):

[​IMG]

PS. Don't bother with the soundclips on the website, they are, well... Brian Marshall (creator of the pedal) has done a much better job than they show.

18. teXum

teXum Member

I'm sorry, but the Klon, IMHO, does in no way fit the bill as a transparent overdrive. I find it rather transparent with the gain all tha way down, but as soon you touch the gain knob, you'll also introduce more mids. A lot of people love the Klon because of this, because (among other things) it enables them to better cut through the mix. But it also means that the pedals color your tone a lot.

The same goes for pedals that are based on the venerable TS-9. Although some of the clones are much more transparent than the original, they still have that characteristic mid hump, which in my ears are exactly the opposite of transparent.

Haven't tried the Liquid Sunshine and the NOC3 Pure Drive, but they would certainly seem to fit the OP's needs. Another pedal that I actually find surprisingly transparent (in the mids, it does add some low end, though)and one that can do low gain as well, is the ZVex Box of Rock, although this one is rarely mentioned in this category.

The Durham Sexdrive, although designated as a clean boost, can do low gain overdrive as well, and still sound very transparent. Depends on how much gain you'll need.

A lot of people also praise the Blackstone OD in the "transparent category".

Since the OP has not tried many ODs, I would recommend him to go out and test as many as possible, to get an impression of what the different types do.

19. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

the Sexdrive is awesome.

My suggestions arent helpful since they might be difficult to lay your hands on, but the Ulbrick 12axe and Megalodon are brilliant.

The 12axe is a pretty straight forward tubescreamer but done better than anything else ive played. full tone isnt harsh, no tone isnt mushy. its either warm or brilliant. good gain range and not overly loud, letting you turn it up full if need be

The megalodon doesnt have a huge gain range since its more a boost, but it is so hands off your tone. just fills it in and either boosts the db depending on setting and crunches it up a little if you crank the gain. it got my DRRI-based amp to sound just like jimi's woodstock-sans-fuzz tone.

www.ulbricksound.com
    email em to see if they have em in stock.

20. modernp

modernp Member

Barber tone pump.