Help me with my pedal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EricGay, Feb 13, 2012.

1. EricGay

EricGay Member

I have a Q about my OD chain that I need some opinions on before I rip pedals off and rearrange them. Here is what I'm running right now.

Tubescreamer clone > TIM > RC Booster

I have the RC after the other ODs to use with either the regular TIM drive or the Tubescreamer to boost the low end and add a little extra gain, as my TIM and Screamer's gain are both set very very low.

The question is, is it a good idea to run the RC after or before those drives? I'd like to maybe push the Screamer instead of adding on top of it, but I don't know what that would do to the low end, etc...

2. jkokura

jkokura Member

Really, the only true answer you'll find is if you try it yourself and see. What I know is that you have two more drive pedals than I would normally use, so I perhaps am not the best best person to ask...

Try it both ways and see what way you like it. I know that's sort of aside the point, but ripping things up and settling the question once and for all is best right?

Jacob

3. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

4. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

I personallty like RC booster after in my rig (i have same drives as you in same order), but yes try it out and let us know what you found

5. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

The RC Booster does two things
    shapes tone
    boosts signal(eq)​
    Pre and post eq sound very different with overdrive. Right now, with your post eq set up, you're preserving the gain structure of the TIM and Tubescreamer and can shape the low end with no change to the gain. When placed before the ODs, the low end shaping affects gain as well as tone - a very different sound. What's more musical or useful? Only you can say.

Right now your boost function is post OD. Boosting the front end of the amp will affect gain but sound very different than the variations available when boosting the OD's. I think you'll get way more control over gain/low end pre OD. But you gotta try 'em.

So rip the pedals off the board and check it out.