Help me with my tone!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MGT, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MGT

MGT Member

This is probably difficult but I'll ask it anyway...

I have a strat & tele (both HW1 models) and I play through a Hot Rod Deluxe...I have a couple of basic pedals in a Boss pedalboard but normally use the Tonebone Classic for distortion/OD.

When I play at home (low volumes), I can get a very warm & smooth sound with not a lot of overdrive but when I go to practice with a band or play at a jam session, I get more of an icepick tone....and it's tough to play well without an fluidity in your sound.

I do know use the tone controls on my guitars and have lowered the treble on the amp but obviously am missing something!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

You might try a speaker cabinet extension with that setup. Those little amps dont have alot of low end when cranked and sort of mid and treb out. I have a buddy using one of those amps with a strat and plugs it into a 2-12 cab with celestions and it sounds great...Fat and round...Just a thought.

3. brad347

brad347 Member

I'd bet it's the speakers in that amp. If you can afford a couple hundred bucks, try replacing them with something better.

4. THebert

THebert Member

Don't overlook your choice of strings. Maybe you are using a brighter set and could find a more mellow set of strings. Of course, you could always throw a blanket over the front of the amp- just kidding! ;)

5. billstets

billstets Member

How are you setting the amp? If you can get the output section to break up a little, you can often get some compression and lose the icepick. Might be too loud though

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Don't use the bedroom tone settings in the band, move those controls. Tubes, speakers, strings, picks, and obviously the amp design are at play here so you gotta dial in the tone one way or the other. Preamp tubes are the cheapest to start with then move for a speaker change.

7. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

i had an HRDX once. changed the speaker to a celestion v30. but i still never fell in love with it. in retrospect, that might not have been the right speaker choice. i did like it a little better with humbucker equipped guitars.

8. bynt

bynt Member

Here here. I had heard that the speaker that Fender chose for those amps were voiced to sound good at store volumes (see also: bedroom). Mine was really big on the bottom end at home but for gigs I ran it in stereo with an old Ampeg and didn't have the icepick problems as the Ampeg was a really dark amp (VT 60-chainsaw with a speaker- so I had to voice it down with tone controls).

The point being that I bet if you changed the speaker you might find a better sound at loud volumes. You can do a search here becaue I know that a bunch of folks did that and it kept them from getting rid of them.

9. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I changed the preamp tubes on my HRDX 2x12 to vintage telefunkens, made the clean channel sounds pretty freaking good. It started to compress at lower volumes, and in addition to any decent overdrive stompbox should help.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I think that amp's a 1x12 so he could replace the speaker for under that easily.

11. MGT

MGT Member

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I tried lowering the mid/treble and cranking up the bass (and usually back off on the guitar tone anyway) but it wasn't helping as much as I thought it would. I'll do a search on speaker replacements and take a look for other preamp tube options while I'm at it.

Thanks again!

- Michael

12. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

I put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in my HRDx and it helped a lot.
    Warmer, less ice-picky.

I put one in my DRRI too and it sounds great.

13. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I struggle with the same thing! I love my "bedroom" tone and I have many amps. I too hate that at moderate gig volume eveything seems to be brite. It's the Fletcher Munson curve and it will kill you! I solve the problem by placing my amp on a homemade stand that's closer to the floor (for more bass) and by loosing the high end on the amp and pedals.

14. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

fiddle with these
    [​IMG]

and use this...

[​IMG]

thats all, you will definitely have to dial in the settings on all of your stuff at different volumes

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Don't be afraid to move those tone knobs to the extreme if you have not tried that. The speaker may be contributing some as well. Try the treble at "0", cut the mids some, and is it still ice picky?
    Best Regards!