Help me with new rock

bopplayer

So i've been trying to listen to some newer stuff being that I love classic rock so much, Floyd, Skynyrd, Allmans, Lou Reed, Hunter/Wagner Alice Cooper, Tommy Bolin, Zeppelin etc. Checked out White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Them Crooked Vultures, etc not trying to start a long thread here but I just don't dig that stuff, it's too tense and stiff, do big bands need to start smoking dope again? what else should I check out?

bgl

74vibrolux beat me to it: DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS.

get "decoration day" and "the dirty south". GREAT songwriting delivered with loads of attitude and raggedy-ass raunch...they've got a great website, too.

speakerjones

Check out Dr. Dog. They wear their influences on their sleeves, but they're good influences and they write good songs.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
So you don't want new as in modern, you want new that sounds old (right?)

Govt Mule, Derek Trucks, Black Crowes, Alvin Youngblood Hart (Motivational Speaker for electric), Big Sugar, Ben Harper, Philip Sayce, North Mississippi Allstars. It's all nicely done and sounds a lot like it could've been from 1970 or thereabouts.

speakerjones

Good call on Ben Harper. Saw him on Fallon the other night with the Relentless 7 backing up Ringo Starr. It was all kind of weird, but got weirder when Fallon started singing along.

74vibrolux

My other one should have been CENTRO-MATIC. Not Centric-Matic. Damn iPhone and its auto correct feature.

Very cool band. Interesting texture to their music. Extremely prolific. Some of their latest ones are called Love You Just the Same, Fort Recovery and Dual Hawks (which is a split record with South San Gabriel - their side project with a bit more country flavor).

Spudman

This should keep you busy for a while. Google away and find some treats. You might recognize some of the names like Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple). He's been turning out great albums along with Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow) for decades but most in the USA don't know that. So it's new music.

Jet
Stereophonics
Ansley Lister
Ian Moore
Aquarium Rescue Unit
Chickenfoot
Eric Gales
Glenn Hughes
Joe Lynn Turner
Neal Morse
Transatlantic
O.S.I.
Pallas
Pineapple Thief
Phideaux
Stiltskin
Royal Hunt
Soul Sirkus
Talisman
Threshold

panoramic

St. Vincent is rad but I doubt this guy will bite on that with the first listen. maybe if you post pictures of how attractive she is he might be interested.

Trending Topics