Help me with specific high quality parts to build an custom AC30 clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by XXTwighlight, Feb 23, 2012.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

I am thinking of having a local tech put together a Vox AC30 inspired amp.
    I currently have a Hayseed 30 which I love, but there are certain extras I no longer use and I also wish to get the amp into a 15" wide chassis.
    Please don't judge me on my dreams, but after having been through so many amps, I am really still trying to build what I believe to be my dream amp.
    So I want to have an AC30 built into a small custom chassis, maybe 15" wide.
    I want a simple one channel input, no master, no reverb, no bright switch, no 1/2 power switch. Just Vol,Bass,Treb,Cut.
    I know I can look into Morgan and Jackson Ampworks (both great amps no doubt and both small), but I've never tried a Morgan and the wait time is a bit much for my impatience.
    Anyway, what are the best quality parts avail. for such a build?

Can you name specific brands?

Transformers: I know Mercury Magnetics are suppose to be one of the best, but you always hear about how they are overpiced and that Heyboer and such are just as good. Well if they are good, I dont mind paying the extra cost above the other brands. I also noticed there are different power transformers on the MM website for an AC30. Can anyone tell me the differences?
    What about:
    Capacitors (I know its subjective, but which caps do you like and why?)
    Potentiometers
    Tube sockets
    I know "if it aint broke, dont fix it" and "This and that classic song was played on an old --fill in the blanks--amp, but for recent technology, has anything been improved upon in reference to quality amp parts?
    Workhorse reliability and tone are the keywords here.

Also, finding a custom chassis is kinda hard. Any leads as to who manufactures such custom dimension chassis'? I was hoping for a brushed aluminum.

Also what about wiring? Is cloth covered an option in wiring an amp?
    I like the look of the braided cloth on mojotone website. I dont care for the funky colors of wiring in some amps. Though it may be needed to indicate certain wiring identification...my guess as to why they use diff colors anyway.

Thanx for any help!