• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help me with the CAA OD100!

zakkfaerum

Hey everyone. This looks like a really SUPER amp. However I am a little confused on some of the different models. I have found a CAA OD100 SH head that is a few years old and I am really not sure what the going rate for this particular model. What kind of price would be considered a good deal on one of these?

How is the gain on this model comparable to my 2007 Bogner XTC101B?

Thanks for the help everyone!

kurtsstuff

I'm only familiar with the OD100SE+ model...I think the Scott Henderson model is a more vintagey type gain thing goin on in channel 1. I love the tone of the Custom Audio amps but really have a hard time with the feel of them and it's hard to explain. A detached feeling of sorts....kinda like the amps in another room sorta feel when playing them?? Like I said fantastic sounding amps but the feel kills em for me...Been meaning to ask John about it because I would love to use them...

Edited to add: Not implying anythings wrong with the amps at all and maybe "I"
need to be tweaked....lol!!

Madgansound

The SH mod applies to channel one on these amps. Try and find out what is going on with channel two. Could be a classic, standard etc.... that will give you a better idea of the gain ability of the amp. IMO the first channel alone is almost enough of a reason to pick one up. I tend to see them sell used (regardless of model and/or mods) for around $2000....

zakkfaerum

I think he said it was a Classic 2nd channel? What can this be compared to? It does not have the Feedback or Presence control on the back either, what does this tell you?

Thanks!

billm408

I'm only familiar with the OD100SE+ model...I think the Scott Henderson model is a more vintagey type gain thing goin on in channel 1. I love the tone of the Custom Audio amps but really have a hard time with the feel of them and it's hard to explain. A detached feeling of sorts....kinda like the amps in another room sorta feel when playing them?? Like I said fantastic sounding amps but the feel kills em for me...Been meaning to ask John about it because I would love to use them...

Funny you mention this... I had a similar reaction the only time I tried the SE+. It wasn't my amp so I didnt do any real tweaking with it so it may have been the way it was set up, but it was so compressed that it had a very distant feel to it... kind of squashed up into the back of the cab or something. May have been completely different if I had a chance to open it up.

I've since gotten the CAA PT100 though and it's almost the opposite. Very up front with great presence and articulation- even with the gain up high. Maybe not the best thing for someone who's as sloppy as I am, but I'm loving this new amp.

kurtsstuff

Funny you mention this... I had a similar reaction the only time I tried the SE+. It wasn't my amp so I didnt do any real tweaking with it so it may have been the way it was set up, but it was so compressed that it had a very distant feel to it... kind of squashed up into the back of the cab or something. May have been completely different if I had a chance to open it up.

I've since gotten the CAA PT100 though and it's almost the opposite. Very up front with great presence and articulation- even with the gain up high. Maybe not the best thing for someone who's as sloppy as I am, but I'm loving this new amp.
I kinda had a feeling that this was the case with the PT100 in that it may have more of a Marshall type attack or better to it...So...means I gotta hunt down a PT100.....lol!! Is the amount of gain available roughly equal??...Where are ya Pete!!!?? :huh:D

billm408

I'd imagine that they're similar but can't really compare the two. I tried the SE+ for less than 20 minutes just the one time last summr. But the PT100 has more gain than my 101B and way more than I'll ever need- I'm running it around 4-5 right now. Pete's running his around 6-7. It does the Marshall type attack thing really well but also has a dark, modern gain side as well. Ping me if you want to check it out, Kurt.

kurtsstuff

I'd imagine that they're similar but can't really compare the two. I tried the SE+ for less than 20 minutes just the one time last summr. But the PT100 has more gain than my 101B and way more than I'll ever need- I'm running it around 4-5 right now. Pete's running his around 6-7. It does the Marshall type attack thing really well but also has a dark, modern gain side as well. Ping me if you want to check it out, Kurt.
Very cool offer Bill....Might have to do that!!! Thanks!

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, ya the PT 100 is pretty much straight up kickass Marshall on ch2, not too compressed and it barks at you. CH1 is a s good a clean as you'll ever find in a channel switching head. Really nice. I don't know the other models very well, the one I liked the most before John came up with this one for my needs was a Classic +. The others with 5881's (SE plus?) were gainier and more compressed, not as much my bag. But he knew I was using the EVH 5150III head and liked ch2 on that, and he did some mods on an OD100 and lo and behold it was like a better version of what I liked about the 5150III blue channel. I loved it from the first time I plugged in.

Since then he's made tweaks to the boost circuit on ch 2 (really sings now, nice) and added the whomp II switch to tune lows... 2 gains 2 masters on ch 2 (for a virtual ch3 solo boost)... and some other stuff. It's a work in progress I guess but it's killer! It's my road amp and I love it!

Nomadgtr

Hey Pete,

So just to be clear on the Marshall tones, for your PT100 is it more JCM type Marshall tones vs. say more Plexi tones on the Classic or Classic +?

Appreciate the post btw, great to have you chime in in person!

kurtsstuff

Hey Pete,

So just to be clear on the Marshall tones, for your PT100 is it more JCM type Marshall tones vs. say more Plexi tones on the Classic or Classic +?

Appreciate the post btw, great to have you chime in in person!
Yeah..Pete's cool that way...He even did demo clip of an amp I had done by Friedman....:bow

::fred::

Since then he's made tweaks to the boost circuit on ch 2 (really sings now, nice) and added the whomp II switch to tune lows... 2 gains 2 masters on ch 2 (for a virtual ch3 solo boost)... and some other stuff. It's a work in progress I guess but it's killer! It's my road amp and I love it!
Pete, two questions.. Is this the PT100 amp you're talking about? Do all PT100 s have these mods done to them?

Also, if your 2nd channel has two gains, can you switch between them?

The thing is, I absolutely adore how these amps sound, but in my songs I usually use three sounds:
1. glassy clean
2. crunchy, slightly overdriven clean
3. hi-gain

So all this time I've been looking only at 3ch amps. If the CAA had switchable gain settings on the 2nd channel - that would do it for me :AOK

kurtsstuff

Pete, two questions.. Is this the PT100 amp you're talking about? Do all PT100 s have these mods done to them?

Also, if your 2nd channel has two gains, can you switch between them?

The thing is, I absolutely adore how these amps sound, but in my songs I usually use three sounds:
1. glassy clean
2. crunchy, slightly overdriven clean
3. hi-gain

So all this time I've been looking only at 3ch amps. If the CAA had switchable gain settings on the 2nd channel - that would do it for me :AOK

I believe this is correct......Channel 2 has 2 gains and 2 masters....so..a pseudo 3 channel amp is what ya got...I sent an OD100SE+ to be converted to PT specs and looking forward to it

kurtsstuff

How much are they going to charge you approx.?
From the info I have...$500.00 plus shipping but....I requested that..Anything that can be made to be footswitchable to do so..Whether there's anything other than mentioned is anybody's guess so..If they do do something..may be a little more??

billm408

It's my understanding that a new version of the PT is in development that will have all switchable options (boost/bright/whomp, etc...) on a footswitch much like the Hedgehog's. IIRC, it will also be tubes up in a standard Suhr head shell.

Husky

You should check out the PT100 , I dont believe you could ever say that about this amp. You also need the right speakers / cab for the right amp
The mod costs that are around $500 are usually due to the transformer being replaced for EL34's, many of them already come with EL34's
Plus we can replace all the panels so it looks brand new, no P-Touch !

Trending Topics