• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help me with tone loss & Fuzzes and temp changes

tnrose

Ok I got my new board in and my freq boost. For a little while I was just using the Volume pedal -> MonsterP MkII -> sTone Bender -> Screw Driver -> Tim -> DD-20.

When I got the new stuff in, I put my wah back on, so it's this:

The signal chain is Volume -> Freq Boost -> sTone Bender -> MkII -> Crybaby -> SD -> Tim -> DD-20

Now I have some tone loss, plus my fuzzes are acting funny. I'm assuming the tone (mostly high end clarity) is due to the added cable length w/ the two tier board? I know that old Dunlop Crybaby doesn't help, but when I bypass it, it doesn't really make a HUGE difference. What can I do to help this? I don't want to go back to the Loop-master strip...it made switch out pedals difficult.

Also, my board sat in my car today. It wasn't a very hot day, but car in sun made it warm in there. When I got out my board to play tonight, the MkII sounded really farty and wouldn't sustain. However, after about 15 minutes it sounded ok. Is that because of the temperature? I had always heard about some fuzzes (Ge) being picky about temperatures, I just had never experienced it.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
The fuzz issue is FOR SURE a temp issue...thats what the bias control is for but after the pedal temp gets too high even the bias control won;t help...

As for the top end loss more cables don't help but a non true bypass wah pedal is THE WORST tone sucker out there IMHO...

Options, true bypass the wah, replace the wah with one that is already true bypass...add a true bypass box for the wah ala Eric Johnson...go back to a Loop Master strip for everything...

On top of that a buffer MIGHT be helpful to you. Something like the Axess BS-2 of the VHT but thats not always the best answer...

tnrose

Cool thanks. I've considered a buffer, as well as a true bypass loop. I may start by stripping down evertying and start adding back one by one.

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
This isn't a hard and fast rule, but almost every fuzz I have ever played has wanted to be first in the chain. So I'd try your fuzzes-->everything else.

And ya, getting a bypass loop for the wah will help. A bypass loop for everything might be even better! :)

tnrose

I thought they like to be first too, but do you think they would react better in front of the volume pedal?

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
Ya, my experience has been that they like to be in front of everything, volume pedal included. Definitely in front of the frequency boost, too. Again all fuzzes are different, but I've yet to play one that didn't sound best when in front of everything else. :)

sabby

It's great to have a volume pedal after the fuzzes. You can control the level of grit with your guitar's volume and total output with the volume pedal. Like some sustain and level that keep you deep in the pocket? No problem. Just pedal back the output. Want volume and light fuzz, open up the pedal and roll back your guitar's volume.

FWIW, I try to keep all the gain I'd need available on my board even if my fuzz doesn't work. The fuzz is gravy. If it's too picky, I'll yank it and go compressor + OD.

Trending Topics