Idiotdrummer

Hi,

I am a drummer who can play guitar but has absolutely no idea what he's doing with his gear. :'(

I have a tubescreamer mini and have been playing it connected to a meridian dc-9m power brick. Here's a link to the thing.......

Iv had my tubescreamer quite a while now. A few months anyway. It's been fine and now it still works but when it's plugged in and I stomp it on, there is a really loud hiss and buzz or hum and I think Iv broke it.

It didn't come with a power supply and can't use batteries and I'm worried Iv broke it.

I can still play it, there's no burning smell but it's a really loud noise coming from it.

Have I used the wrong adapter or power supply even, can this be fixed and is this what happens when you use wrong power supply or does it not work at all in the first place?

The instruction manual says nothing about any of this. All it says is that they recommend I use an ibanzez ac power dapter AC509.

Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
That power supply should be fine for the pedal, have you tried all the power outputs, another power cable?

Idiotdrummer

Thanks for the quick reply. Well I took the pedal out of the pedal board and plugged in using only the tubescreamer and it still did it but when I isolated a different pedal instead with the same cables, that big noise wasn't happening.

Ugly Bunny

Power supply shouldn't matter as long as it's 9V center-neg and fits.

You need to be very systematic about your troubleshooting. Making sure it's not your guitar, the cables, etc. Make sure you're plugged in the correct jacks. Basically, all the day-one stuff that even us long-timers forget sometimes :)

If you're sure your cables are good, and the power is good (ie the same exact setup works on every other pedal) and your TS is still making the noise, you probably do have an issue.

Tube screamers are not terribly complicated to work on, but if that one has surface-mounted parts, you're probably screwed; may just have to get another one. I know you probably didn't sign up for having to open and re-solder resistors in your guitar pedal lol.

Maybe post a video of exactly what it's doing and what you've tried.

Cheers!

Godspeed64

Just stick to the drums.

And you should stick to making music instead of being rude.

OP, try to mess with the footswitch. Lightly tap, and hear if the sound is behaving weirdly.
Also lightly wiggle cables in case that's the culprit.
I doubt it's power, but try plugging a different power cable or even a different power supply if you have.
If it's not the switch, the cable, or the power, then something within the pedal is malfunctioning (which is rare in my many many years of pedal-hunting).

Idiotdrummer

Thank so for all the replies guys. :)
So it isn't a different polarity? Like I heard the Proco RAT is?
Cool, I bought it online but I could take it into a shop for some help like you suggested Gillespie.
You think if it is broken, it should be under warranty n be able to be swapped then?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom