Help...Mean 90s Hum-P90 Getting a quacky wah/phased out tone in middle position!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by branbolio, Feb 18, 2009.

1. branbolio

branbolio Member

i just installed a set of gfs mean 90 pups humbucker sized p90s in my prs hollow spruce. the neck is a rwrp pup, so im supposed to get a bsrop and a wah treble tone, maybe phase issues.

i wired them the same way as my 57 classics, with one wire going to each side of the switch and the other wire (ground) on each going to the mid area of the switch.

can anyone guide me into get these to sound and operated correctly? istnt the mid position is supposed to be a nice useable tone w/ these pups?

2. branbolio

branbolio Member

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

bsrop?

each side of the switch...middle area of the switch?

Are the pickup leads color coded? are they individual unshielded wires or shielded coax cables?

How about photos or diagrams - I'm not familiar with the switch/control layout of that model (is it a selector switch and then a single set of master volume and tone, or are there separate volumes for each pickup?).

Are you trying to get a quack/out of phase tone? RWRP, when wired as it's intended, will not be out of phase with the other pickup but will instead operate hum-canceling and in phase as far as the sound signal is concerned. If you then reverse the hot/ground of one pickup they'll sound out of phase (Peter Green mod, thin, honky, nasal tone, slightly less output, and the effect can be controlled if you have independent volume knobs) but will no longer be hum canceling.

4. elkym

elkym Member

Yeah, give us some pictures... it may be a little easier to help you that way.

5. branbolio

branbolio Member

it is for sure out of phase and i want it to be normal output. the pups are 3 wire; 1 red, 1 white, 1 bare shield wire. basic switchcraft angle 3way toggle, 1 master vol and 1 master tone knob. guitar is prs hollow spruce.

i dont have pics at moment but maybe this info will get me some more input.
    try to get some up in a few days.

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Try reversing the red and white wires of either pickup. The bare shielded wire always goes to ground.