Help modifying bandmaster for reverb or just for more gain

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by danjcarroll, Feb 24, 2009.

1. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Hello amp experts!

I know nothing about the technical ins and outs of amps, so I am in need of some good advise regarding a blackface bandmaster I own.

The amp works perfectly and also sounds great, but what I would like to do is make it sound a little more ballsier, like the old super reverb I had.

I have had a bassman OT istalled a while back when I was after a little more bottom end, so I have ticked that box.

As far as I understand the blackface bandmaster is the same circuit as the super reverb no?? AB763

I have heard guys refer to the super reverb having more gain, because it has reverb and therefore utilizes extra 12ax7 preamp tubes or something of the like??

What exactly are the differences between these two amps, and if it is just the reverb, is it possible for me to disconnect/modify the tremolo circuit and use the 12ax7 from that section for more juice?

Set me straight please if I have misinterpreted people discussing the difference between non-reverb and reverb blackface fenders.

Any other suggestions for how to go about getting that little bit more from the bandmaster (without changing it into a totally different beast obviously) would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Dan

2. strings

strings Member

Use the trem channel and pull V-1 from the normal channel. This will add some gain.

3. AL30

AL30 Member

Jumper the channels - like strings said

Use a 12AX7 in the PI slot (the preamp tube next to the power tubes) insted of a 12AT7

Use humbuckers

Use lower wattage speakers

Use a pedal

AL

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Replace the tremolo intensity pot with an on/off unit. It will remove the trem from the circuit and add a significant amount of gain

Add a variable negative feedback pot. by increasing the NFB resistance value, you add "rawness" to the tone. This is often installed in the extension speaker jack hole.

5. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Thanks guys.
    I'm going to give all of that a go.
    Can anyone tell me how a super reverb varies from a bandmaster in general?
    Cheers