Help!!! Mouldy Mojave, need cleaning tips.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DavidH, Feb 25, 2009.

1. DavidH

DavidH Member

Oh dear, here goes. Around 18 months ago i decided to sell my Coyote Combo, this thing was split mint ,A1, having never left my music room from new. I decided to try the dealer i bought it from to see if he'd be interested and he was very keen to have it on consignment, very entheusiastic about the amp and seemed like the guy to sell it. So i agreed and sent it to be put on consignment, i was happy to let him handle the sale

Anyway long story short it hadn't sold and i decided i wanted it back, no problem. Got it back today and the thing is a frigging biohazard, it's obviously been sitting in the darkest, dankest, place on earth. It stinks of damp and mould and is covered in mildew, all the edges of the tolex furry with white mildew, it's obvioulsy been kept somewhere dark and wet, and not out in a nice dry store like i envisioned.

I've cleaned it (with dettol wipes and then rinsed with wet cloths-perhaps not the best idea but i didn't really want it in the house untill it's dissinfected), it looks clean now but it still stinks of damp and mould.

Please if anyone has any cleaning tips on how best to clean tolex (vinyl cleaner?) and also the best way to clean a grill cloth without removing it then i'd be most greatful. The amp itself looks OK, bit of oxidation on the transformers and hardware, and the guts look fine, it's the cab that really needs a good clean and hopefully it can be brought back to it's former glory. It's a lovely amp and like i say it was split mint and well cared for when it left here, so it's a bit upsetting to get it back in this state. I can smell the thing from here while i write this and it's way over the other side of the room.

Cheers, Dave.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Pine Sol! I use it all the time to clean the moldy vinyl on my classic cars. It doesn't bleach the color off, kills the mold, and leaves it smelling piney fresh. Just dilute it with water of course. For the tolex you could also use a diluted mixture of bleach and water in a spray bottle, but that'll probably harm the color of the grillcloth.

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

It looks like Pine sol isn't available in the UK, but that's the sort of suggestions i need, a way to kill the smell and the mould without bleaching the tolex. Products people have had success with. I stumped for how to clean the grill cloth without removing it, maybe somekind of soap, i don't know.

On a positive note, it sounds amazing, it's probably just happy to be rescued! i must have been off my tree to want to sell it. It ain't for sale anymore, that's for sure, i just need to rescue the cab. I'm trying to be cool about the whole thing, it won't help to it to get annoyed about it, but it's a bit shocking that a dealer would store stock like that that needs to make them money, especially when it belongs to someone else. It's no suprise it didn't sell, it was in a discusting state and obviously hasn't been out in the store anyway.

4. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

I hope you didn't pay any kind of fee for the privilege of showing your amp in his shop. Of course it didn't sell if it was stored in a damp dark basement instead of in the shop. If I went to retrieve an amp that was on consignment and it came back in anything other than the condition I left it in, the first words out of my mouth would have been, "congratulations on your new amp. Where's my money?"

5. DavidH

DavidH Member

I don't think i'd achive anything though, and besides i really want to keep the amp, the cab just needs a thorough clean. The thing is the dealer is in the other end of the country so it was posted there and back, and communication done by phone, so i hadn't actualy been down there. The reason i sent it to them is they know Mojave amps and were very entheusistic abou the amp, so i figured he'd talk it up and get it sold. I obviously had no idea he'd given up on selling it and stuck it in the basement.

Anyway, i'm glad it's back, and hope i can get it smelling right again. i'm just sorry it's had this treatment. I'm more concerned for the amp than getting money out of the dealer (wouldn't happen anyway). I didn't think to check they were storing it somewhere dry, i just assumed, since they were trying to sell it that they'd look after it, ya know. Oh well, you live and learn.

6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I find Dr Bronner's soap to be safe to use on just about anything, and very effective. Just remember Dr Bronner's wise words.... DILUTE! DILUTE! I'd give everything a good Dr Bronner's wash before trying ANYTHING else. I just washed my Boogie's grillcloth with it last night, and it got out many years of beer and smoke without risking the vintage cloth.

7. DavidH

DavidH Member

Dr Bonner's i can get, which scent did you use? and do you use the bars? I guess the lavender one might cover up some of the smell.

Maybe i should be trying to remove the baffle, i don't know, otherwise i'll have to just rub it down with a soapy cloth from the front, but i won't be able to rinse it. I guess that'll be OK though if it's pretty mild stuff.

8. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

BIG +1.

But I know it doesn't help now, sorry. I think the suggestions so far are good. I've had luck in the past cleaning tolex with some regular dish detergent (Dawn etc) diluted in water, so I'd probably start there and only go harsher if need be.

9. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I use the stuff at pet stores designed to get pet pee smell out of a sofa. It has an enzyme in it that works well on musty smells. I just used it throughout my basement as I had a flood two weeks ago. I also used it on the inside of a guitar case that smelled musty, it was the only thing that worked. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

10. DavidH

DavidH Member

Ok, i've removed the grill cloth/board from the front, so i should be able to get that good and clean with the Dr Bonner's. I'll pick up some Vinyl cleaner tommorrow from an auto place. If that doesn't work then i'll move onto the enzyme cleaners for the smell (good suggestion).

I'm more convident now about getting it like new again, i think after a good clean it'll be right agian. It was a bit alarming and disheartening this afternoon when i first tried to clean it though. It's a really nicely made cab too, just noticing how well built the cab is when i took the cloth out.

It takes more than this to kill a Mojave, weapons grade build on this thing, just need to get it smelling good again!

11. DavidH

DavidH Member

My Mojave is all lovely again!

It was a lot better after airing for a couple of days but you could still smell the damp dusty smell, so today i gave the cab a really thorough clean with Dr Bonners baby soap and it's come up great, looks like new and actually smells of tolex again-result!

The grill cloth just needed a good airing and a vacuum to get the dust out and is fine now, i didn't want to wet it unneccesarily and that's all it needed.

So thanks for the suggestions guys, my Coyote is tip top again, as it was before, i even treated it to a new speaker, a celestion blue that came today and it sounds awesome. :BEER