help: Mounting a 12V DC Fan?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jzucker, Aug 11, 2003.

1. jzucker

jzucker Member

Where can I get a bracket to mount a small 12V DC Fan to the bottom of my chassis?

2. KLB

KLB Member

You could try the universal mounting bracket... Silicon caulk!

Ken

3. jzucker

jzucker Member

Typically, you want it behind the power tubes and blowing out the back of the amp but I think almost anywhere is good if you're using a combo amp. The issue is that most fender style amps trap the hot air because heat rises and the back panel tends to encourage the hot air to just sit which basically just applies a "kenner-easy-bake-oven" principal to the components in your amplifier! :D

4. jzucker

jzucker Member

I wouldn't trust that hanging upside down on a hot chassis in a combo amp!

5. KLB

KLB Member

Actually, because of the fan, the chassis doesn't get hot. Warm yes, but not hot. Silicon caulk, the good stuff, is rated to fairly high temperatures. It also acts as a cushion for the vibration of the fan.

Some of the DC box fans already have mounting brackets.

When you get this figured out, please e-mail me a schematic of the circuit you used!

I'm going to put one in my Deluxe Reverb.

Thanks,
    Ken

PS - The Jensen appears to be sold.

6. jzucker

jzucker Member

If you have a link to any sites with brackets for the fans, I'd appreciate it. Regarding the circuit, it's pretty simple. Use a 1V 50A bridge across the 6.3v taps and filter the output with a 2200UF cap. You'll get ~9v of power.

I should have bought your Jensen! :)

7. jzucker

jzucker Member

On a fender amp, probably mount the bridge network near the pilot light which is fed by the 2 heater wires...

8. jzucker

jzucker Member

The rectifier and cap will smooth the ripple and convert the 6.3AC into DC and since it's a DC fan, there shouldn't be any noise induced by the fan motor.

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

well if you have access or know someone that can make you one you can custom fit it to your amp, Thats what i did for my DSL401.
    The Fan I used is a radio shack fan that runs on 120vac the fan is very quiet and does not induce any hum, i use an External plug so there are no mods needed!

Check out the link below to see what i made, it works very well, I have the fan blowing on the tubes and according to Myles Rose its perfectly ok do so.

DSL401 fan mod

10. jzucker

jzucker Member

That looks interesting but I wouldn't want to use something so large and in the plane of the speaker due to the possibility of the doppler effect from fans.

Anyone who thinks this is not real - Go set under a ceiling fan and play your acoustic guitar or electric guitar (acoustically). You may be surprised!

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I know what your saying how a fan can have an effect I hear it every time my ceiling fan is on, but the fan on my amp has no effect at all Just sufficient cooling!