Help mounting a strat neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Killa-B, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

hey guys,

I am mounting a very nice strat neck on a standard body, and I would like to find a template or some other method of marking the holes so they are exactly where they are supposed to be.

Any thoughts? I am just trying to be VERY careful and very accurate. Taking it to have it done elsewhere is not an option.

Thanks!

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

A template in this case will only allow room for error.Set the neck tight in the pocket and mark the holes thru the body with a punch.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Get a piece of soft wood about 1-1/2" wide x 2" long x 1/2" thick or so - enough to cover the frets in the neck joint area, but fit between the E strings without touching them.

Assemble the neck to the body using the piece of wood, the neckplate, and a G-clamp, making sure the neck is seated tightly as far into the pocket as it will go - it's best to put the screws in a little way to get the plate and the holes lined up. You may want to put a piece of card or something between the clamp and the neckplate to stop it marking, if the clamp foot doesn't have a plastic cover - you need to clamp it fairly tightly.

Fit the two E strings and tune them up enough that they are properly straight, although they don't have to be right up to concert pitch. Check that the alignment between the strings and the edges of the fingerboard is correct on both sides.

Drive the screws through the body into the back of the neck, enough to make good impressions.

Take it all apart again and drill the screw holes where you've marked them.

4. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Thanks very much John!

5. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

G-clamps are kind of clumsy and hard to use IMO, though I've used them many times. I suggest using one of the newer pistol grip-style wood clamps that has a trigger that allows the clamp to be help in place and tightened with one hand--they also come with rubber boots that cover the jaws of the clamp.

I usually use masking tape to secure the neck plate to the body, clamp the neck in place, tune the two outer strings up a little and measure the distance from the center of each string to the edge of the fingerboard, and adjust the neck until the distance is even.

After tightening clamp the last time, I hold one of the screws up next to the plate and get an idea of how deep the hole needs to be, marking the same distance on the drill bit with a piece of masking tape.

I drill the holes with a drill while the neck and plate are clamped together--you just have to make sure you don't let the chuck of the drill strike the neck plate when drilling the hole.