1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

help! my amp is blown!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by hw2nw, Oct 3, 2006.

1. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Ok, so I just got a used AC30HW in the mail today, packed superbly. No problems when i plugged it in initially but then about 20 seconds later it makes a few slow popping noises. Alarmed I turned it off, took a quick look at all my connections, and it never turned back on.

Argh!!! any ideas?

edit: took it apart, looks like the Mains fuse blew too. Tubes look alright.

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

90% chance an output tube is the culprit. Replace the fuse, put in a new set of EL84s and I'll bet you'll be in business.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

thanks for the quick reply!

I put it another fuse from my Marshall, and it did the same thing. Except this time I knew what was starting to happen so I turned it off fast before the fuse blew.

Well I guess I gotta head out to Radioshack AND order some tubes. Too bad too, it came with some nice Ei's. I've been playing hide and seek with FedEx for a week, and when I finally get it...I have problems. :Devil Guess I'll just wait it out a little longer.

FWIW, the 30 seconds it WAS on was nothing short of awesome. :crazyguy

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I second the EL84 theory.

EIs sound good when then work, but the quality is VERY inconsistent and many don't work...at least not for long.

5. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

More likely a rectifier tube, same symtoms, and blowing fuses makes me think the rectifier tube went south. I would bet that it has a new production JJ or Ruby rectifier tube. Invest in a good used Mullard and you will never look back.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

:confused:

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I would have suspected the rectifier tube too, but 20 seconds before taking out the fuse seems a bit long for that scenario.

8. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Mike, the new production rectifer tube failures that I had before going to NOS would set there and arc internally ocasionally (sometimes throughout a set before taking the fuse) and then finally take the mains fuse, when I had similar problems with new production 6V6s and 6L6s, it turned out that the tube pins were under sized and caused similar arcing in the tube. If he could watch the tubes, I 'm sure it would be evident which was the culprit. Drove me crazy until I watched the tubes.

BTW, what do you have in NOS EL84's?

9. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I have to ask:"Why would you order tubes from Rat Shack"?Or was that just a joke.I don't know Mike from KCS but have heard nothing but good things about him and he's right here trying to help with your problem.There's plenty of others out here too besides RS.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Thanks for asking, but this is now a business discussion and this is not my forum.

Check my website, it's pretty easy to navigate. If all else fails, email me.

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I'm assuming that he's kidding, though, I had heard of a few people who were able to order tubes through RS in the last couple of years.

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

no no, I gotta get fuses at Radioshack. THEN order some tubes online.

Sorry for confusing people. No I don't load my AC30HW with Radioshack tubes!! :D

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Oh yeah, that's what he said! :AOK

C'mon dude, Radio Shack tubes RULE!:dude

14. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Everyone needs spares.

[​IMG]

15. Swarty

Swarty Member

... and believe it or not, they still honor the lifetime guarantee. If you want to see a confused employee, throw a tube down on the counter and tell him you want a replacement... "What is that thing, a light bulb?"

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

woohoo!

Update: after scouring the town for 4A 250V fuses, and picking up a quartet of GT EL84s, I'm back in business. I also bought a spare 5AR4 but it looks like one of the Ei power tubes was faulty. So far no problems, no noises. I'd love to play my new amp but it's definitely past sound curfew!!! :D

Thanks everybody...I really appreciate the support from my TGP bros!

17. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Note - with a tube amp in the arsenal, it pays to have known-good spare tubes on-hand. :D

18. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yeah, funny how all my spare tubes are in the trailer in case of gig meltdown. Never thought i'd run into problems at home! :Spank Silly me.

19. Leftee

Leftee Guest

You should have tubes stashed in every room in the house.

I'm not making that up... just passing it on.

Thems the rules.:rotflmao