1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My amp is sick..

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Silvertrain, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Silvertrain

Silvertrain Guest

I think something might be wrong with my HotCat 2x12. I'm new to this sort of thing but there's an unusual amount of unmusical breakup happening. It's impossible to get a clean sound and the breakup sounds more like a radio turned up too loud rather than the power tubes. I just got new power tubes a few months ago, put some new preamps in just last week. Could I be losing a power tube already? Is this sort of sound associated with that? I've already emailed James at Badcat and am awaiting a response. Until then I thought I'd post here and see if anyone can help.

2. redjet55

redjet55 Member

how did it sound before you got the preamp tubes?

If it was ok before you likely got a bad preamp tube.

3. telest

telest Member

Every amp I plug into sounds sick. I'm starting to think it might be me. :D It could be any number of problems. Bad solder joint(s), a loose wire somewhere, etc...

Steve

4. redjet55

redjet55 Member

try to trouble shoot it like you would a car or computer.

Eliminate possibles until only the cause is left.

If you still have the old power tubes start by reintstalling them, if your major problem goes away it’s likely the new power tubes. If they’re the same type/grade you can try replacing the new tubes one at a time to find the bad one. Same with preamp tubes. Take a known good one and replace each tube until the problem goes way.

Again if the amp sounded ok before replacing the preamp tubes, start there, if it was ok after the preamp tubes, start at the power tubes.

Try swapping positions.

5. FX Doctor

FX Doctor Guest

Do you have your old tubes? Try tossing them in and see what happens? Other than that, I'd take it to a tech unless you know your way around with tools. If you do, try to determine whether it is the power amp or preamp.