1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My BR600 Died!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by UMT, Feb 14, 2009.

1. UMT

UMT Member

I use my BR600 pretty much on a daily basis. Did a recording this evening, uploaded the song to my computer but think I may have shut the unit down while the USB function was still operating. Didn't think nothing of it at the time. Couple hours later, I went to turn it back on and NOTHING! Screen is dark, no lites lite up, NOTHING! Put a ohm meter on the AC/DC power source and it's putting out plenty of juice. Put new batteries in,,,, NOTHING. Completely and totally blank. Took the back cover off and looked around the circuit boards thinking that maybe somehow I blew a fuse or something but I don't see anything that even remotely looks like a fuse.

My BR600 is DEAD! I can't believe it! Anybody have any ideas of what's wrong or how I might get my beloved BR600 back? Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    UMT

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

Did you try a different compact flash card and make sure it's seated properly? More than than and what you've already done, there's probably not much else to try. I hate to say it, but these things are pretty cheap so you may have to replace it. It shouldn't cost you much, and because they use compact flash, you don't risk losing your data if you replace it.

3. UMT

UMT Member

Yeah, tried a different card. Always careful with the cards and it seems to be seated properly. Nothing.

I'm bummed!

4. UMT

UMT Member

Ok, how about this? Has anyone ever sent a BR600 back to the factory for service? If so, how did it work? EX: I sent my DigiTech Vocalist back to the factory when it died and they told me that they would fix whatever the problem was for $85.00...

If anyone has any experience with getting a BR600 repaired, let me know your experience.

I tried to call Boss USA this morning to get some info and they are closed for 'Presidents Day.' (Allrighty, then!)

Thanks,
    UMT

5. UMT

UMT Member

Just in case anyone was wondering what happened: Just so happens one of my old pals is a tech wizard for a big store that is also a 'authorized service center' for Boss. I mailed my BR600 to him and he found a 'service bulletin' on it. Seems that the Boss Power source can cause a conflict or put some hard service on a particular transistor inside the unit. When the transistor goes, the unit dies ie: unable to power up at all. He replaced the transistor with a diode (says it will be more stable) and the total repair charge = $60.00... Not bad! I was looking at buying new one or spending the bucks for a nice used one..

6. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    I think it should be covered by Boss, how long do you have it?
    Did your tech make a pic of the resister vs diode?
    Might be usefull here...

7. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

If the AC unit supplied by Boss is overstressing a part in the BR600, then it's a design-flaw that should be fixed by Boss gratis. If it's serious enough that they issued a bulletin on it, then they've publicly acknowledged the flaw. I had been thinkin about picking one of these up as a portable recording solution, but no way now...

8. UMT

UMT Member

You're overreacting. I've used this unit for hours DAILY for at least two years. I use it at home, at practice and at gigs. This is the only issue I've ever had with it. I used the term 'service bulletin' but that may not be the correct wording and/or description. They have noted that on SOME units, this may be an issue. It's like any other electronic device,,,,, a part can fail at any time. How many electronic devices have you had problems with? I've had problems with my Digitech Vocalist, a Marshall amp, bad pickups, and a couple bad Shure microphones. (That's just off the top of my head) Hey, if you can find another recorder that you like better and you think may be more durable, go for it.

All of the Boss recorders carry a 1 year warranty and obviously, mine is way out of warranty. (I think it was made in 2004) However, I'm going to give Boss another shout and see if I can hit 'em up for the cost of the repair. What can they say? No? I will say that if the repair on this unit would have been too expensive to bother repairing, I would have bought another the very same day to replace it.

9. UMT

UMT Member

Well, got 'ye olde BR-600' back today and took the cover off just to see what my buddy had to do to fix it and thought I'ld make a post about it just in case someone ever comes across this problem and is looking for a possible answer.

He noted: "Removed Q47 and modified POWER SUPPLY INPUT with 1 amp/400 volt diode." Basically, 'Q47' is the transistor that is wired up to the on/off switch on the circuit board.

Glad to have the unit back.

10. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    Thanx for the info UMT, you never know if this might be helpful.
    Good post!

11. CJWalker

CJWalker Member

I know I am bringing back a VERY old thread, though I have recently run into the same problem with a unit which I had repaired for a friend. Since Roland has never been helpful with schematics/repair info to anyone that is not an authorized repair shop, I had to solve the issue myself and had come across this thread during my search for a schematic. Anyhow, after tracing part of the circuit myself, Q47 was found to be faulty.

Ultimately, I ended up removing Q47 and installing a diode on the underside of the board. (I had a 1A 40v smd diode on my bench which fit nicely) As a matter of fact, there is already a provision for this labeled D2. It's an easy repair that shouldn't cost any more than $0.25 in parts.

12. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

CJ: Any chance of a pic or two showing the swap?

13. nanodocl

nanodocl Member

Thanks for the info, I have the same problem, but mine just burnt out. Can anyone tell me the label on Q47? o a replacement number for that transistor?

14. UMT

UMT Member

Nanodoc PM'd me on this. Will try to get some pics and post them over the weekend. I didn't do the work myself but might be able to get in touch with my tech buddy but I'm sure he's busy enough that he may not remember either. Let's see what happens...

15. nanodocl

nanodocl Member

Thanks, waiting for good news...

16. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

Thanx for this post! I am an avid user of the BR600 as well- got it abt a year ago and knock on wood no problems yet- I do use a Boss power supply and after long periods of use can not get over how hot the Power supply gets. If you could post pics of the repair or mod you have done it would be great!

17. UMT

UMT Member

Tell you what guys, I have 2 of them, the one that was fixed and a factory stock one. It's nothing to take the back off so I'm going to post pictures of both so you can see the difference.

The ONLY time I've ever had problems with the BR is when I turned the power switch off (by mistake) while the USB connection was downloading. Just make sure you don't turn the power off while the machine is working on a function and I don't think you'll ever have much of problem.

Hang in there with me on the pics because I'm extremely busy but will try to get them up Sunday before the Packers/Bears game. (or maybe after???)

Go Pack!

18. UMT

UMT Member

Guys, so sorry. Had emergency at work and had to go out of town all last week. Haven't forgot about you and will try to get those pics done this weekend.

UMT

19. UMT

UMT Member

Guys,

This is turning out to be a total pain. I'm not that good with a camera and can't seem to get a real clear picture of the mod.

I also forgot how to upload a picture so, give me a little hand here and I'll post the best shot I have and try to explain how the mod is done.

UMT

20. UMT

UMT Member

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/TeleHH/BR600ModSmall.jpg

OK, read the FAQ and figured out the picture thing. It's not a great shot so I'll walk you thru it.

Remove all the little black screws on the back of the BR600. Remove the Flash Card cover. Remove the battery cover and stick your finger in the battery box and GENTLY pull the back off the BR600.

Set the BR flat with the 2 1/4" input jacks facing you. The power supply input will be facing up. The power input jack has 3 solder points on the circuit board.

RIGHT NEXT to the power input solder points is a terminal marked D2 on the circuit board. It has 2 solder points. Take one end of the diode and solder it across BOTH of the D2 solder points. Right next to the D2 points are 3 more unmarked solder points. Bend the diode wire so that it makes contact with the CENTER solder point and solder it there. Take the other end of the diode and note the little box marked C8... Lay the wire flat (1/4" or so) on the circuit board area leading to the top little rectangle solder point on C8 and solder it directly to the circuit board. DO NOT solder it directly to the upper rectangular solder point on C8. (I can't see why it would make a difference but I'm just explaining how mine was done)

That's it. You will end up with the diode looking like a backwards facing C.

Wish I could have done better with the picture but I think if you'll pull the back of your BR, it will all make sense.