Help! My Budda Superdrive 30 is too loud..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sal, Jan 1, 2011.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's weird. I used to use a Budda 30 in places where my 80 was like that, but I never found a volume problem with the 30. The amp sounded pretty good with the master set around 11-12 o'clock to keep up with the drums. Those Budda amp's are kinda dark and middy tho'. I had a problem cutting through or hearing myself as clear as I wanted sometimes, so I'd crank it more. My old Marshall was so much clearer and I could use less volume and always hear everything so well.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Neither of mine are dark, or especiall middy, how I set them anyway.
    Using a LP with the modern setting on OD, and the bright (pulled out in both cases) switch engaged.

Another thought, an amp stand. Have it tilted up at you and you need less volume.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I think it's subjective. To me, even with a tele, it was on the dark side. Too squishy and compressed most of the time. Two SD30's and one SD80. I just consider them dark sounding, I used to run an EQ in loop, and brighter speakers trying to combat that. I always wished for a presence knob on these amps. I remember even the Joe Bonamassa clips when he was with Budda, sounded dark and compressed to me. Joe sounded clearer, cleaner through the Marshalls. I still like my Budda but it's sort've got that signature sound, all the time.

4. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I like an Emi Wizard in the 18/30s. Extends the highs and lows enough for me, through a cab. The combos sound on the middy / boxy side esp. with the stock phat speakers. Although, that doesn't particularly help the OP, as the Wiz is a pretty loud speaker. I'd second the potentiometer idea. I've never particularly liked what an attenuator does to a guitar sound. Just me I guess. Also an EQ or volume pedal in the loop would work as well. Best of luck.

5. aman74

aman74 Member

Interesting thread since I've always heard these have great master volumes, even for bedroom playing.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Just tried a new Budda V20, the MV sucks, either too quiet and fizzy or very loud even at low setting on the dial. My Orange RV50 has a great MV in comparison. Lots of range.

7. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Well...like I mentioned, there are a couple of things...was this an SD-II series or the first? Because to me the pull knobs (vintage/modern for OD, and normal/bright for clean) do the trick in any case.

Also, depending on if they had the volume balance mod. That mod doesn't JUST balance it out it changes (less compressed sounding) the OD nature just a bit.

I'm not doubting you, just saying my experience with my SD-II series SD-45 and SD-18 are they are not dark. Even with LP's.

9. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

I still have my original Twinmaster, have owned an SD-45, played through several other Budda amps, and heard even more, and I can't say I ever heard a single one that was dark or muddy sounding. Once before, though, my tech did recommend against certain power tubes because they were dark sounding.

Slider313 is refreshing my Twinmaster right now and said he had tried some Sovtek EL-84M and said they sounded too dark to his ears. He went back with some fresh JJs, which is what was in there and said he prefers those to the EL-84M and RCA he tried previously.

Just my $0.02 worth ...

10. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I have an SD-18, which is also a very loud amp. I use mine with a Hotplate all the time, and it still sounds great. If you only attenuate a couple of clicks, your tone doesn't get squashed. Another good option is to put an EQ pedal in the loop, that has an output volume control. My SD-18 is a little dark, and the extra EQ would help brighten things up a little. Kind of like adding a presence control and master volume between the preamp and power section.

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

All the SD80's have the pull knob. Again, I'm comparing against Marshall or maybe a Soldano type tone. The Budda is just darker, smoother and more compressed. I always had trouble getting good crunch tones from it. It's a great, smooth lead type amp. I just realized like more aggressive tone.

I did the volume mod way back, and did not like what it did to the lead ch. It did make it a little less compressed but it seemed to be less responsive with the pedals I was using. I talked with Jeff about it, he said it's a trade off. I put it back stock.

The SD30 combo I had was real narrow, middy and boxy. But I stuck it in a head shell to use with different cabs and it still had that. A bright switch was definitely needed on that amp. I ran an EQ in the loop to compensate. Boy those amps could rock if they had a presence knob. Why don't they put one on?

12. Sal

Sal Member

Some of your suggestions are really helpful - I don't have the volume mod and will look into it. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback, I really appreciate it.

13. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Supporting Member

It does in my opinion! My SD30 series I sounds great with plenty of sustain at very low volumes. No complaints here. :phones

14. dosmun

dosmun Member

I don't really have any complaints running the Master low. As far as the amp being dark, adjust the controls with your ears not your eyes. If the amp seems too middy and dark I back the mid and lows down to around 10-11:00. I use a ported 1x12 most of the time and I still get plenty of bottom turning down the lows but get the clarity I want.

15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

No, you're probably not getting full use of the overdrive but even at that low of a volume it probably still sounds good.

I use a Marshall JCM800 in a Classic Rock Cover band and I almost never get to turn the master past two. Trust me when I say the crowd you're playing for couldn't care less about getting full use of the overdrive channel. Use it as is and be happy.