Help My Jcm800 Is Pealing The Paint Off Of The Walls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wagster, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

After tweaking my 84 2204 I'm pretty much back to stock.I have a OEI o/p transformer and the bright cap clipped off of the preamp.I have a little problem with the amp.I love the tone but.......I love it with the volume on 8 and the preamp around 7-8.How can I get my tone w/o pealing the paint off of the walls.Most attenuators change my tone.The UA looks nice but is really expensive.I'm also not a huge fan of a PPIMV in a JCM 800.This amp sound crazy good up to volume.If I can get the volume under control I have a keeper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Billy

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Pretty much anything i can suggest is going to change the tone - even a baffle will change it - same with an iso cab, attentuator, etc. You pretty much have to pick your poison!

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

What cab and speakers?

4. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

These amp start to bloom and have gobs of sustain with good volume. That's the way they were made to play. I use a FD II with mine at lower volumes. I also have 65 watt pre-rola celestions. I'm sticking with mine. I would like to know exactly what you did to clip off the treble. This amp always makes my ears ring.

5. Wagster

Wagster Member

It looks like I need to experiment with attenuators.

I'm running the amp through a Crust Cab closed back 2x12 with Scumback H75's.I'm getting a 4x12 cab built for me by Mathers that I'm going to load with GB's.My amp doesn't sound too bright when cranked.Here are my settings.Keep in mind that when you crank the amp to these volumes the power tubes and speakers compress and choke off the high end.At low volumes these settings sound terrible.

Pres - 3:00
    Bass - Almost off
    Mids - Full
    Treble - Full
    Master - 2:30
    Preamp - 2:00 - 3:00

6. Wagster

Wagster Member

The bright cap is running across the preamp pot, just clip it.This will help with the highs when the preamp is not on full.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Here are my only suggestions. I went to 25 watt greenbacks in a 4x12 from CL80's and noticed a slight difference in volume VS. great tone. I'm assuming your running a 4x12. You could try a 2x12 but you'll loose the wallup and air moving that a 4x12 gives.

The only way I felt an attenuator sounded ok was run in parallel. You can set a Hotplate to load and run it as if it were a seperate cab right out of the amp. That way your working cab doesn't even see the attenuator, but the attenuator draws power off and you'll get some volume knocked off. The thing is, any of this is just for taking some of the volume off. I don't think you'll find any real solution for massive amounts of volume control without loosing whats cool about the amp.

8. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Nothing! And the Gods of rock will only strike you down for trying to silence an angel of tone.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

While I'm happy you are thrilled with your tone using Scumback H75's at a volume of 8, reality probably dictates that you get an amp that sounds like this one with only 20-30 watts. Maybe a move to the 3203 Marshall head is the ticket, or one of the power scaled clones. Anything you do with an attenuator or other changes WILL change the tone.

10. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I was in the same boat with a 71 50 watt amp. I was glorious but just way too loud. Run for cover loud. These amps were made for big stages. Unless you are a member of the Scorpions you might want to look into a 30W Aiken or something like that. I had an 18 Watt Invader that was so close tonally to the '71 you wouldn't believe it.

The problem is the older Marshalls (probably even the new ones) sound at their best when the volume is at 6 or above(you clearly know this already). Trying to maintain that tone at lower volumes is like trying to fly a 747 at 100 mph.
    You just can't do it.

11. Wagster

Wagster Member

My amp sounds lifeless until I reach paint peeling volume.It's such a awesome tone but I'm afraid it's just way too loud for the clubs I play.It's a damn shame because my Tele sounds freakin' mammoth when it's cranked.

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

OH YEAH!!! Tele's sound fabulous thru a cranking 800! I got "carried away" last reheasal with that setup!!

I think someone should just develop Marshall proof paint!!!

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep I have 1 of those!! YEP , you're right about the volume.. I had mine modded etc but that's besides the point. MOving to a 4x12 will just increase the volume btw. That's not a good move , even with GB's in it , it's too loud. You should buy the Lexan /Plexiglass at Home Depot or whatever and before spending a bunch of money try putting that in front of your cabinet... Actually just try it with something you have around the house first.. If you like that , but the Lexan and build some shields for the front of your cabinet. It does wonders and you can dial in your amp the same basically . . Otherwise, moving down to 1 speaker helps and you can still crank it if you use the right speaker .. Enjoy if you can ! :) ERIC

14. Wagster

Wagster Member

:roll

15. Wagster

Wagster Member

I know I'm flirting with disaster cranking a 2204 through 2 30watt speakers.What the amp putting out at those volumes, 80+ watts?:eek:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a hotplate in parallel! what a neat idea!

i might suggest less efficient speakers like the g12-65, which turned out to noticeably quieter than a pair of v30s in my 2x12 open-back cab, while also eliminating the spikiness the v30s were producing with my old 2203.

17. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

50 watts plus at around 4, and well into the 90's on 8 or more. You sir, are lucky you aren't listening to silence. :D

Oh well, they say race car engines sound and run their best right before you redline them and they blow up, too.

18. Wagster

Wagster Member

:worried

19. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Wear earplugs. I slipped some cans on my head tonight and reached for the sky with my '68 Plexi.

20. Wagster

Wagster Member

Hmm maybe I should I hand them out to everyone in the crowd :crazyguy