Help! My new guitar has a death rattle!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ButchR, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Today was new guitar arrival day! Always exciting! The guitar came in fine condition but there is a serious rattle on the 2nd and 3rd string.

The open string has an overtone that is equal to the plucked string and quitens a little when fretted.

Can anyone give me some direction? It is a bolt on neck and I won't say what brand because I don't like doing that kind of stuff.

The store that I bought it from has a return policy but I don't like to send things back. I just need some direction in getting it fixed.:)

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Is it coming from the bridge? Make sure all screws are tight.
    Doesn't sound like a nut problem if it makes the noise when fretted.
    Find what's loose. Put your ear up to the body.

3. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

Change the strings.

What kind of guitar is it anyway?

4. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

take it in for a set up.

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

Funny question but do you have a ceiling fan on in the room?

6. JDJ

JDJ Member

When it's happened to me, it has always turned out to be the saddles. Wiggled them and the problem left.

7. larry1096

larry1096 Member

Change the strings, as suggested; often strings will get a bad winding and buzz, especially the cheap strings that come with new guitars.

Then check the bridge, again as suggested; if it has levelling feet (like a Strat or Tele) make sure the two feet on each saddle are even.

Also check that the truss rod is not completely loose and rattling in its slot.

Don't forget to open the back plate and see if there's anything rattling around; I chased a buzz for longer than I'd care to admit before discovering that some loose solder was bumping into a pot.

Good luck!

Larry

8. ButchR

No, there is no fan on in the room.

I changed the strings and it helped a little but now the intonation above the 12th fret is not even close.

I have never heard anyone say anything slightly negative about these guitars. I guess my expectations were too high.

This one will probably end up on the emporium.:D

9. ButchR

A tiny turn of the truss rod seemed to help and the intonation finally settled in pretty close! Whew! Now I can enjoy playing it.:)

10. Baconator

Baconator Member

It's easy to get freaked out about a new instrument when things aren't perfect. Shipping in this weather can really wreak havok on an instrument - hopefully it has settled back down now and you can begin to enjoy that guitar for many years to come. :BEER

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I had that happen to me with a new Suhr shipped from a CA heat wave. The action and relief was totally messed up, but a few days sitting were enough for it to settle back to standard tolerances. I'm afraid I freaked out for a while and ended up apologizing to the relevant parties.

12. ButchR

Yeah....the world is settled back into place now. Because everyone knows that there is nothing more important than the set up of a guitar!:D

13. Eero

Eero Member

Nothing is more important than that the person, who sells you the guitar, checks that it is ok, before sending it to. It is insane, but this is often ignored. When you buy, say a $5000 guitar only to realize that the setup is totally messed up, it is not funny.... US is a big country and there are many differing climate patterns. As long we are dealing with wood, adjustments have to be made.

I had once a customer return. Guy was very apologetic and since everything was played by the book, we took the guitar back. The reason was that the "sound was not there". During the guitar's journey from the workshop to the customer and finally me, someone had screwed the tune-o-matic bridge all the way down, as low as it can go... This naturally caused strings to lean on the fretboard... Very clearly there was no good sound and better yet, no sustain.... :horse

Eero