• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help, my new P90's only have one wire???

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
So, how do I wire this pup? These are H90's (humbucker sized P90's) and they have one braided wire coming from the pickup. From what I understand the braided outside acts as ground? So all I need to do to replace my old pickups is unsolder the ground wire (stuck to the back of the volume pot) and the hot wire (in the middle rung of the switch on the pot. Then run this new wire to the middle rung only, nothing soldered to the back of the volume pot for ground?

stryker59

Silver Supporting Member
this is a two conducter set-up and the outside braiding is indeed the ground....the hot wire is inside the braiding. slide the braiding back a little to expose the hot wire and solder this to the hot lug on the pot, then solder the braid wire to the back of the pot itself for the ground..

Brett Faust

+1 stryker59 .... First unbraid about 3/4"to 1.5" of the lead ,twist together ,tin ,then solder the braid to the back of a pot,but solder the hot to middle rung first.That way seems easier for me.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Really, really stupid question but when you say "braid" you mean the silver colored outside covering, yes?
So my pickups has:
Silver outside covering
Black plastic covering
White plastic covering
One "wire" that I've twisted, tinned and soldered to the lugs where the old pickups hot wire went.
So now all I need to do is pull back some of that outer silver braiding and solder it directly to the back of each respective volume pot? Just want to make sure I'm doing this right :)

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, I think I've got it... not nearly as purdy as yours, but we shall see if it works!
:banana

stryker59

Silver Supporting Member
Really, really stupid question but when you say "braid" you mean the silver colored outside covering, yes?
So my pickups has:
Silver outside covering
Black plastic covering
White plastic covering
One "wire" that I've twisted, tinned and soldered to the lugs where the old pickups hot wire went.
So now all I need to do is pull back some of that outer silver braiding and solder it directly to the back of each respective volume pot? Just want to make sure I'm doing this right :)
heres a diagram,,refer to the single conductor diagram,,
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol

Trending Topics