Help! My pedal is Popping

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bulbasaur_85, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Hey guys,

I was discovered an odd sound that I determined was coming from my Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer. I played with various cables and played through every pedal individually and found that the sound was coming from only that TS9. It almost sounds like the popping and crackling from a nice campfire, know what I mean? The pedal has different modes, and the popping/crackling is constant and consistent regardless of what mode I choose, adjusting the gain, tone, and volume. I was hoping someone could give me a diagnosis on poor pedal or could share some info. if they have had similar problems with their TS9.

Let me know what you guys think!:D

2. dbx

dbx Member

Try checking the hex nuts that secure the jacks to the case. Sometimes if they come loose they'll cause a shorting that sounds like what you describe...

3. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

those nuts are secured...anything else?

4. dbx

dbx Member

Maybe a wire on the switch has a bad solder connection or one that is about to go? Does the crackling occur only when pressing the pedal switch or is it a steady state once turned on?

5. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Thank you for your help! The crackling/popping noises come when the pedal is both on and off with no difference in severity of the noise. I also changed the battery, and it didn't help either. hmm....I'll open it up and see if I can spot a bad solder.

6. dbx

dbx Member

Happy to pass it around, I've received much help and good info here...one thing I didn't ask was if you're running off battery or power supply. Check the wires at the adapter jack and the battery snap. Follow them to the jack, and board...these wires are not large gauge, sometimes not all of the strands get the solder and they're hanging on by only a few....also did the pedal get jarred recently? I once received a pedal that took a good beating in transit from Japan. Had some intermittent crackling, turned out one of the traces on the board was broken...you might have to poke around on the board with the pedal on to find this condition...good luck with it!

7. pgissi

pgissi Member

Does the popping come in steady pulses?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you possibly have the following-

a bad coupling cap on the PCB
    the IC, the RC4558 (I think) is crapping out
    buffering transistor going bad

Since its constant, popping occurs when the TS9 Tubro is engaged or not and it is not a full bypass type of pedal, I am going to say its one or a combo of these and confined to the first stage, the buffer, since it apparent in bypass mode where the buffer is still active-

-.02 input coupling cap to buffering transistor
    -buffering transistor failing
    -dc supply issue with that transistor either with the 9v supply or the 4.5v
    bias supply

You could check for these voltages if you know where to look

Popping is typically the charging/discharging cycle of a capacitor and since its making it way into the audio path, I am leaning towards and audio coupling cap versus one in the power supply circuit

8. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Thank you guys! I appreciate all your input. I'm not much a circuit wizard, is it worth the fix, or should I replace it. I might email keeley and see if he can fix and mod it at the same time...what do you guys think is the best route to take.

9. dbx

dbx Member

If you're not technically inclined it might be best to send it to a pro...did you like the sound of the effect when it was working? pgissi suggests a more technical problem that would require replacing components on the board...I can only do limited troubleshooting myself for the obvious stuff. If it's worth it to you, Keeley would be a source you could trust to do the job right...Analogman would also take care of you...

10. pgissi

pgissi Member

Sending it to keeley and have it modded while there is a great idea...it will be better than new!

11. TimH

TimH Member

I'm just going to throw this out there...have you checked to make sure the noise is not coming from microphonic tubes in your amp? This sounds very much like that problem...but perhaps you've tried it without the pedal in line for an extended time and found out it couldn't be the amp. Just a thought.

12. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

It's not from the amp, like you said, I played straight through the amp without the noise...sounds like analogman will repair it for free if I do an 808 mod.