• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Help: my Silver Sky is buzzing like a bee

Strummer9

Ok so the neck was bowed forward too much. I tightened up the truss rod a bit. Now it has a very slight forward bow per PRS factory specs.

It seems to have reduced buzzing in the middle of the fretboard but has introduced it everywhere else, including on the other strings. When I play very lightly, there's no buzz. Is this just the best I can hope for on a 7.25 radius neck?

IanRubbish

The one I had did not buzz very much even with 4/64 action on the bass string, it choked a tiny bit on some bends, but did not really buzz. It sounds like you have issues outside of setup.

Gig Young

2 Ply Crew
Platinum Supporting Member
Dang

Make sure you take it into someone experienced, qualified and all that!!

Strummer9

Dang

Make sure you take it into someone experienced, qualified and all that!!
I'll give it a shot with a professional setup. Otherwise, I might just sell it, of course with disclosing the buzzing which the previous seller didn't do for me.

I knew something was amiss when the seller asked me if I was bringing an amp to the meet up. I didn't have a portable one and asked him to bring his. I get there and he says he forgot it. He probably didn't want me to discover that it played like ****.

CapnRex

Yea this sounds like a setup issue, not a fret problem. Take it to a tech before you end up hurting it. I bet they can fix it without too much difficulty or expense.

As for radius causing buzz - that is only going to matter on bends, not on regular noting. Don't bother listening to anyone who says otherwise.

Likely you neck needs adjusted - truss, shim, saddles..maybe nut. But it will work again don't worry.

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
My SS shipped with much lower action than I'd typically like on a Strat. Just a quarter turn on the saddles raised the action enough to help buzzing and allows me to get more meat under the strings for bends.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
This is why I seek out good techs.

it’s the same as with the cars ; too many guys that should just be driving fiddle with the engineering too much

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Ok so the neck was bowed forward too much. I tightened up the truss rod a bit. Now it has a very slight forward bow per PRS factory specs.

It seems to have reduced buzzing in the middle of the fretboard but has introduced it everywhere else, including on the other strings. When I play very lightly, there's no buzz. Is this just the best I can hope for on a 7.25 radius neck?
Once you reduce relief to a decent value then you probably lowered action maybe too low. So recheck action and raise to desired value. Or until buzz stops. If too high then deal with overall setup.

I treat relief adjustments in two steps. Set relief, as straight as reasonable for my setup, and then set action to desired height.

RC Mike

I knew something was amiss when the seller asked me if I was bringing an amp to the meet up. I didn't have a portable one and asked him to bring his. I get there and he says he forgot it. He probably didn't want me to discover that it played like ****.
Fret buzz has nothing to do with whether or not there’s an amp. You can hear it and feel it without an amp. Minor fret buzz isn’t even audible through an amp. You hear it acoustically.

Json

Gold Supporting Member
Have you sighted down the neck to confirm it's straight? If you've got your neck set with a little relief or even dead straight, there should be no buzzing if your action is at 6/64.

My Silver Sky is at 4/64 with no buzzing. I did have to work for it though. I had some buzzing on the B and G strings that didn't go away until I took the neck off and put it back on. I guess it wasn't properly seated. Switching strings from 9s to 10s also helped for when I was digging in a bit more.

Json

Gold Supporting Member
This is what's scary about buying a high end guitar in the used market. Absolutely no recourse. Maybe there is some with Reverb but even then it has to be an undisclosed problem that isn't subjective. Some people are more bothered by buzz than others.

Strummer9

I took it to a guitar tech today. He's an old hat, been around for a long time. He said neck relief is good, action is fine. So basically just man up and deal with a little buzz.

ozraves

About 90 percent of guitars have crappy set ups.

Normally PRS guitars come with decent nuts and decent frets. The issues are normally setting the neck relief and adjusting the action and intonation.

Best investment I've made in my playing and guitar collecting is learning to set up guitars and acquiring the proper tools to do the same.

This John Suhr video is worth a watch:

WailinGuy

I'm surprised nobody asked about the pickup heights. Strat-style guitars with vintage type single coil pickups (like the Silver Sky) will typically suffer from "strat-itis" if the pickups are adjusted too close to the strings. The magnetic pull from the pole pieces can cause the strings to "crash" into the frets, especially as you fret higher up the neck. So that's another thing that should be checked.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I’m sorry, but no. Back bow is not relief or forward bow that is needed for string room oscillation. Back bow is the other way around and creates a neck that is beyond straight in the wrong direction.
Back bow is bowing away from the strings, as in bent backwards, forward bow is what is needed for a guitar so the neck is concave and not convex.
Anyone else want to chime in here? Please?
IMO you are correct from everything I've learned over the past 40 years.
Also good that you chimed in before the OP added a bunch of backbow to his neck.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Have it re-radiused and ss frets installed.

Then, it will be a great guitar, without restrictions! 7.25 radius is stupid.
If you really like the guitar you may want to consider something like this.
Pros have a lot of things done to their guitars that most home players would never consider.

Alanko

I would change the strings firstly, just to remove one variable. I would also check pickup heights. I've been baffled by 'naughty' Strats sometimes, only to back off the neck pickup and find everything returns to normal. A consistent buzz in the lower strings could be down to this.

Trending Topics