help: my strat doesn't quack!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by solderedmyfingerstogether, May 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Guppie

Guppie Member

But this is just because of a feeling you have, mostly caused by I price difference I understand?
    And it would make the difference between quack/no quack?
    Just get a set of vintage output strat pickups and you will quack for days. Believe me.

babadethkat likes this.
  2. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Damn that's ugly

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  3. Bokar

Bokar Member

Ever since I've heard Blackmore "quacking" on his Strat, I've come to question the established theory of quacking on Strats(Blackmore using only neck or bridge PUs, never two together).

4. Solo996

Solo996 Member

Slam those pickups! Seriously dropped them right down low towards the body and see how you go. The good thing is all of that can be done by ear rather than having to take precise measurements.

One of my strats has body of the pups sitting about 3mm above the pickguard.

5. jalmer

jalmer Member

Only strat type guitar I had that didn't quack was a Washburn 24 fret, 25.5" scale SSH. I figured it was the 24 frets throwing things off; relationship of the octave to the bridge and all that.
    So maybe the Sam's Club bridge placement is off? (I'm probably completely off base.)

6. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

Please put that SSL 5 in the bridge.

SSL 1 SSL 1 SSL 5 is a fantastic set of pickups but what you gain in a stronger signal with the SSL 5 is what you lose in spanky tone in position 2. BUT, assuming you have the SSL 5 in the bridge, you’ll have plenty of spank in the 4th position. It boils down to do you like having a spanky tone in pos 2 or a strong signal for leads in 1st position?

the overwound pickup will overpower the middle low out pickup and you lose the quack in 2nd position.

CassetteTape and David Garner like this.
  7. solderedmyfingerstogether

solderedmyfingerstogether Member

sorry that was my mistake, i confused the two; I did have the SSL-5 in the bridge and the SSL-1s in the other two. It would be pretty weird to put the 5 anywhere else

cratz2 and EC Strat like this.
  8. solderedmyfingerstogether

Well the ssl-1s are vintage low output strat pickups, and though their relative output is different, the ssl-5 is low output too. As far as wood goes, it depends on what you believe I guess. Leaving the tonal differences in individual pieces of wood aside (since that's a given), if the quality of body wood doesn't matter, is it only the neck, hardware, and setup/overall construction that makes an MIA professional strat or a Danocaster (or any of the many other "high-end" boutique strats) sound better than a squier? Or more generally any player-grade guitar better than an entry-level? That seems like kind of a weird proposition to me. Sure there are squiers that sound and play much better than the average one, and MIA strats that are worse than their peers, but overall I don't think it's fair to say they're the same. Because the alternative is that there's no difference between them, and personally I find that kind of hard to swallow.

9. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Sell it and buy a duck. ;)

awp, Gig Young and ProfRhino like this.
  10. solderedmyfingerstogether

haha how much does a duck go for these days? I could probably buy a few

Gig Young and DrumBob like this.
  11. RJLII

RJLII Member

RWRP doesn't matter. I have a CS '54 Strat reissue with a non RWRP middle pickup and a 5 way switch. It has more quack than any Strat I've owned. This is the actual guitar. Take a listen:

I think focusing on balancing the outputs is the OPs best chance at revealing the inner duck. With the pickup choices he made it could be a challenge. I had a '90 American Standard that I loaded with Duncan Rails (Hot in bridge, cool in middle and neck) and there was no way to get it to quack with any combination of single or humbucking modes. It also didn't sound like a Strat any more. I changed it back to stock.

David Garner likes this.
  12. bigben55

bigben55 Member

My strat is a G&L Legacy, a 1994 alder body/maple neck. The neck and middle pickups are stick Seymour Duncan SSL-2 pickups. These are the same as the SSL-1's except the 2s are flat poles while the 1s are staggered poles. I have plenty of quack in the 2 position, less in the 4, but it's still there. That's because I have a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues in the bridge. It's a little higher output, but not fire breathing or anything.

I'm not certain while you dont have the quack tones, but the SSL-1s are definitely capable of it.

13. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

14. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

Lower your pickups to even with the pickguard and gradually raise until you like the tone. Then Raise the treble side of the middle and neck pickups and turn up the treble a tad on your amp. Make sure your tone pot is on 10. You should have a spanky sounding 4th position with SSL 1’s at that point. You won’t get a very good quacky tone in 2nd position with an SSL 5 in the bridge. You just won’t. It’s overwound and a medium To high gain pickup DCR is 13.8.

but what you WILL have is a freaking awesome lead tone in the bridge!

There’s one thing you can do though in this situation - SD can tap the SSL 5 pickup and install a push/pull tone pot in your pickguard. When you activate the tap, it’ll cut the power to a vintage level so you’ll the. Have a very nice pos 2 tone. They make the SSL 5’s with coil taps that will do that. Would be a very versatile set up.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  15. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

Low output pickups adjusted low ( close to the pick guard) usually make for nice quack in my experience.

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Hot Strat pickups don’t quack. Get something with A3 or A5 pickups below 6.2k ohms.

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

You're pick-up combination doesn't sound too quack-able ...

18. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

SSL-1's are not as low output as people are led to believe, they have a stated DC resistance of 6.5k, which in fact puts them closer to Texas Specials. Back when they cam out in '79 or so, Texas Specials didn't exist though, so that frame of reference had not yet been popularized.

Fender 57/62's are around 5.8k to 6.0k, they quack hard. You also want to avoid "balanced sets" or sets with a hotter bridge, they're a modern invention and they weren't found in the vintage Strats with the rich quack that everyone tries to recreate. If you can't get good quack with 57/62's, there are other problems, such as bad pots or too long of a guitar cable.

19. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Agreed. I wish I knew what fender put in my classic 50’s because those to me are the sound. All I know is they’re low output, the same pickup in all three spots, and no rwrp. Amp and EQ go a long way as well, I get good quacks with my pro reverb and gvt15 but I think those positions cut more with my ac15hw1, nails the ledbetter sound. Probably have my lows dialed too hot on the Americas but I don’t live on 2 and 4 anyway.

To the OP, parroting what’s been said, start with them flush with the pick guard and bring them up until things sound right but I’d like to add starting with the neck and working your way back to the bridge.

Solo996 likes this.
  20. solderedmyfingerstogether

thank you! That's really good to know/helpful even though it's not the best news as it looks like I have to change my pickups. I'm considering just winding my own at this point, but it's going to be hard to know how to get the sound I'm looking for since there's not much information out there on winding patterns, coil wire gauge and wire materials for specific pickups. I saw a vid of someone repairing a vintage 63 single coil and he said it was 40 AWG, the wire is probably copper, and the winding pattern looked pretty much uniformly distributed across the bobbin. If it doesn't pan out, I'll probably go with some bare knuckles or a set of 57/62s since I like the sound of those.