Help! My Vibrolux Reverb is crackling!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by trumpus, Jan 22, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

I just picked up my '78 VR from my tech after having some routine maintenance done on it. I had it rebiased and new speakers installed (some gently used Eminence CH and RC's). I also had some relatively minor mods done (eliminated ticking on vibrato channel, sweetened up reverb, etc).

Now, there appears to be a crackling/sizzling type sound coming from what i think is the speakers, bit I cn't be 100% sure that it isn't just being prjected through the speakers rather than being caused by the speakers themselves.

I was told that my V2 NOS RCA is a bit noisy, but this cracking is present when I use either channel...

...I've got an e-mail in to my tech, but in the meantime, any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I don't have another cab to run it through. The only speaker I've got is my 8 ohm Celestion V30 in my Mesa DC-3 (the VR needs a 4 ohm load).

Thanks!

Brian

2. trumpus

Upon closer inspection (and more playing), the crackling is only evident with the amp volume above 2-3. It is exclusively associated with the left speaker.

How can I get the baffle off this thing to inspect the speaker further?

Brian

3. 67super

67super Member

I don't think the speaker baffles were removable by 78 on Fenders. If it is only one speaker making the noise then you probably are looking at a replacement speaker to get things sounding right. I have to tell you though, cracking and popping from and otherwise ok speaker is strange.

4. trumpus

The speakers are new - well, to me. I bought them gently used from another TGP'er. On visual inspection they were essentially mint and my tech didn't comment that one was shot...

I think when I asked how to get the baffle off, I meant the grillcloth - I want to watch and listen to the speakers and rule out the grillcloth frame as a possible cause for the noise...

Brian

5. chaz

chaz Member

The grill is just held on with velcro and you can just pull/pry it off.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Do you have another amp to run to those speakers to rule out your Vibrolux as the source of the noise? Also you can run the Vibrolux to the 8 ohm speaker without harming it, so try that first.

7. trumpus

I'll run it through the 8 ohm 12" Celestion in my Mesa when I get home.

Slider - any way I can run it by and plug it through your speakers if need be?

Brian

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Brian,
    If there's still a problem after plugging it in the other speaker, then that would rule out the speaker(s) being the problem. If it does stop crackling when plugged in to the 12", then one of your speakers has a problem. Plugging it into my speakers would show the same results. I believe a trip back to the tech is a good idea, as it is supposed to be in working order with no issues.

9. trumpus

Well - it looks like the speaker's shot!

I took off the grill frame - the noise is 100% coming from the Copperhead. I put my finger gently on the cone when the noise was present, seeing if I could stop it - it remained.

I plugged the VR chassis through my the speaker in my Mesa and there's no crackling! At any volume!

I plugged the Mesa chassis through the VR's cab - the crackling came back through the Copperhead!

I talked to my tech who said he's pretty convinced that the speaker is shot, and that I should just get another! I just bought these, albeit used, from another forum member!

Any ideas what could be wrong with the speaker? Is this something that could have happened during shipping? Any thoughts short of dropping more cash on another speaker (and chucking this one in the trash)? I literally received the speakers on the Friday after New Years and dropped the amp off for work after New Years! I just got it back yesterday!

This stinks!

Brian

10. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

Are there any tears in the cone or anything?

That really sucks ass, man.

11. trumpus

None that I can see - plus, the sound almost sounds like it is coming from the speaker proper, and being projected through the cone. This is why I tried gently pushing on the cone to see if I could feel anything vibrating, or potentially stop the sound - to no avail!

It sucks on a couple of levels
    - I just dropped a bunch of cash on parts, speakers, tubes, the tech work - now I'll have to buy another speaker and pay to have it installed.
    - I've been without the amp for 2 weeks, and will likely be without it longer
    - With the other mods, repairs, upgrades I've had done, it sounds friggin' fantastic - but I can't help but focus on the crackling when I'm playing it, so it's not something I can just ignore!

Brian

12. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

How were they shipped? Any popcorn or anything like that? Look in the basket (carefully) and see if there's something just in there that's hitting the cone when it vibrates or something. I bought a small bass amp once that was shipped to me in styrofoam popcorn and I thought the speaker was blown. Turned out a piece had just gotten stuck up in there.

13. trumpus

Both speakers were shipped in the original boxes - stacked on top of one another and taped together with packing tape. They seemed well packed, though there was no additional packing material. I'll take a closer look. and see if anything is stuck inside.

Brian

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Eminence has been really good about replacements for defective speakers. Contact customer service and see what they will do for you.

15. trumpus

Thanks man - i'll try to contact them. I'm not sure how they'll feel about replacing one I bought second hand, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

Brian