Help narrowing down Fuchs TDS 50, 100, 150?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 13, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hey guys, I turn to you here...my dealer is a great guy, but it is taking a while to get responses, and I am getting antsy.

I'm very sure (along with another purchase I will be making, a Soldano) that I want a Tripledrive Supreme. So now the narrowing down of the 3 models available. Please, ANY help appreciated.

I am leaning to the 150 because I have read most about it, I haven't played any Fuchs amps ever.

Some thoughts, please correct me if I have some faulty ideas here:

I want the head version not combo. I will have to supply my own speakers as I live in northern europe and so it is too expensive to send a 4 x 12" cab.

I get the idea that I want either the 100 or 150 even though it is overkill,
    as far as I will most likely not be playing venues where I can crank that up, but I am thinking about the clean side...keeping it clean and full sounding (bass as well). I got the idea the 50 may have slightly less tight or full bass sound. I could be wrong. I think also that the overpower isn't going to be a minus because the amp will sound good in the OD's even if not cranked to power tube distortion. I get the idea the TDS is making it's sound in the preamp more than power? I know the 100 and 150 use different tubes, and am thinking since I am going to be splurging a LOT there is no sense going halfway (unless that is a better fit for me and where I play, etc.). I would like to get the 50 or 100 because of price difference though.

I play in a few bands, one mostly blues, and may be dropping one and getting into a more varied band along with the blues. My playing goes from blues, to Hendrixy, to Allman bros, Warren Haynes, but still when I say blues I mean from sounds like the older blues, to newer, both clean and OD slight, to Freddy King...etc.

My main guitar has been a strat (or a couple of them) but I have been leaning to Les Paul and also have an ES-335.

I have only recently gone from combos to heads, have a Germino Classic 45 I love playing (but wish it had reverb). I have an anonymous Marshall 4 x 12" (I have to open it up and see exactly what speakers are in there) a Marshall 2 x 12 (1922) that sounds nice, a 2 x 10", and am wondering what speakers go best with the Fuchs (and it would be a big plus if they also went well with Soldano)

Also wondered, I am having trouble understanding from the site a few things...like:

- It DOES come with a footswitch control correct? But the control only controls the channel and gain type, etc. not reverb?
    - Does it also come with a reverb footswitch, or can a single footswitch be used to control reverb?
    - Colors...I can't tell for sure if it costs extra for other than standard, and even there the pic on the site is of a red one, but other pics are of a black tolex

Anything else you can think of I ought to know going in?

Main thing, would I most likely be happy with the 50, 100, or 150?

2. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I get the idea the TDS is making it's sound in the preamp more than power? I know the 100 and 150 use different tubes, and am thinking since I am going to be splurging a LOT there is no sense going halfway (unless that is a better fit for me and where I play, etc.). I would like to get the 50 or 100 because of price difference though.

I would suggest the 100, perhaps with a half power switch. The 50 sounds very good, but you can always dial-down a 100 for less power, but a 50 will always be a 50, should you need more power, you're stuck.

My main guitar has been a strat (or a couple of them) but I have been leaning to Les Paul and also have an ES-335.

I am wondering what speakers go best with the Fuchs (and it would be a big plus if they also went well with Soldano).

We like the Red,White and Blues (by Eminence), the G12H30 or EV-12-L with the TDS. I would avoid Celestion Vintage 30's at a ll costs.

Also wondered, I am having trouble understanding from the site a few things...like:

- It DOES come with a footswitch control correct? But the control only controls the channel and gain type, etc. not reverb?

The 6-way footswitch covers channels, as well as boosts for mid and gain on all channels. There is an extra footswitch jack for reverb, which requires a single footswitch on a 1/4" plug to turn reverb off.

- Does it also come with a reverb footswitch, or can a single footswitch be used to control reverb?

You can use your footswitch or order an extra one for Reverb from us.

- Colors...I can't tell for sure if it costs extra for other than standard, and even there the pic on the site is of a red one, but other pics are of a black tolex

We consider standard colors to be creme and black. Anything else is available (check www.mojotone.com for colors).

Anything else you can think of I ought to know going in?

Nothing comes to mind .....

Main thing, would I most likely be happy with the 50, 100, or 150?[/quote]

I like the 100 or higher power over the 50, as it's a litel more full sounding. 'Hope this helps......

3. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

the 100 watt TDS has a beautiful clean channel w/ lots of headroom and works well w/ humbuckers and singlecoils, Haven't played the 50 or the 150 watt. but the 100watt I had sounded HUGE on the clean side!

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

THANKS!! Very much, all good answers. It seems to me like I would really be happy with the 100, for reasons you both supplied!

Looking very forward to this!

5. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I tried the TDS50 and got it to break up too early on the clean side, so I went with the TDS100 head. I couldn't be happier. The masters work great on the dirty side so that I can still practice when the kids are asleep. I've owned a couple of 100 watt+ amps in the past and never needed their full potential power, so 100 watts is more than enough.
    BTW the TDS is my absolute favorite amp. Thanks Andy!

6. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I have a TDS 50 head, and it fits what I need it to do quite nicely. For larger stages it gets mic-ed up and fed through the monitors as well. I chose the 50W head because the previous 100W head (not a Fuchs, BTW) I played through was too hard to dial in good tone at reasonable gigging volumes. The clean channel stays very clean for me, though I'm using low to medium output pickups.

Anyway, like Andy says, in your situation the 100 watter with a half power switch would be the way to go. 100 watt amps seem to have more low end in general, too.

7. Den

Den Member

I have the TDS 50 with the half power switch on mine and can't imagine needing more output than this. For home/studio, I use the 25W setting and for gigs and jams would never want more than 50W. The clean channel is a thing of beauty (as are the other channels).

BTW, I'm using a Fuchs 2 x 12 w/1265's and have never been able to open this up all the way. Personally, I'd just mic this up if I ever needed more volume for the room because I would never want more volume than this on stage.

Different strokes.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks again guys...I put in my order for a TDS100, with half-switch.
    This is going to be FUN...

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks. I just ordered my TDS100. REALLY looking forward to it. I just recently saw the "hand tune" phrase, was wondering if that is tweaking to what the customer wants to use it for or an extra knob (like contour?) or what.

Mainly though, I am thinking about speakers. I did an inventory, I am a speaker moron...it is the part of amps I haven't delved much into, but am now.

Am heeding your instructions to stay away from Vintage 30's, but would really like to hear why?

Anyway, I have a couple of speaker cabs. One I bought used is a Marshall 8412 cabinet. I haven't opened it up yet but from the net I gather it has Celestion G12L-35 watt (140 watts RMS) in it, in a 4 x 12" closed back 8 ohm cabinet.
    Is this likely to give me a good sound? I have been off and on with it with my Germino Classic 45. At higher volumes I like it better.
    I have a feeling it isn't that good though. Like I said, I am a speaker moron.

I recently also bought used a Marshall 1922 2 x 12 cab. It's at my practice place right now but again from the net I think it most likely has Celestion G12-75's. I have only had it a few weeks, but it sounds a LOT nicer, clearer and better overall than the other, but can't handle as high volumes. I have mainly beein using the Germino Classic 45 cranked with it though, not the clean tests, as I want the wonderful cleans too that I believe the Fuchs has in spades.

I also have an old Carvin extension 2 x 12", that I modded down to a 2 x 10" with Eminence Legend speakers. I', off and on with that too.
    I know I can at least try all these, but I could also keep my eyes open for used buys, or speakers, if I only knew what I would likely want.

Inventorying most of my speakers and even speakers in my combos I find I have a lot of eminence Legends, and as I think of it...I think I get a similar "cold" sound out of those combos...it's like I fight the speaker. Sound of the pick attack seems higher too. Like they are accentuating highs, that are more piercing. (keep in mind, my ears are 51 years old...)

Main thing, I am dipping into the coffers for the TDS100, and I want this to practically be a religious experience when I get it (no pressure on you though :AOK) heh...but seriously I can't spend tons of money on a brand new cabinet at the moment, but any suggestions...I don't know if it is better to scrap the speakers in the 8412, use the cab and get 4 of any of the three you mentioned (is the Red, White, and Blues a lot different from the Legend?) and put em in, or be on the lookout for some other manufacturers cabs in the used market.

We have a lot of Marshall cabinets often for sale her, a lot of 1960A's it seems like. Some Orange, and assorted others.

Just any good suggestions from the man himself (you) or anyone really would be appreciated!

Also, (I play old style blues, new style, Hendrixy, Warren Haynes, ABB, etc.) am I most likely going to get teh most out of it with 4 x 12", 2 x 12", open or closed?

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

A Marshall 4x12 with G12-65's would be heaven for the TDS....

11. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Yup, Celestion G12-65 speakers in a 2x12 or 4x12 would be a great match for your TDS 100.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This is where I need help...when you guys say G12-65's is that all the info needed? I get the idea the 65 refers to watts it can handle (RMS?), but of the G12 I am finding a LOT of different letters after and seemingly different sounding veriations?

One other thing I JUST thought of...on the TDS ( I couldn't see in the photos) I know it has jacks for 4, 8, and 16 ohm impedances, but what configurations can one have? Can you for example have two 16 ohm cabs? Two 8 ohm cabs?

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay..I can see this might take a while (not fishing for more posts...I mean to figure out what I ought to have for the TDS100 speaker-wise).

I see this thread suddenly rear up:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=355594

and am starting to think this is probably why I've been avoiding speaker decisions...I have a feeling it is like the OD pedal (all the flavors and opinions) times about 1000.

The worst thing, it is damned hard to "audition" speakers. Maybe I can get a local music store to let me take my amp in when I get it and try out some cabs/speakers.

14. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

You can only use (1) one of the speaker outputs at a time. From what I've been told by Fuchs Audio, it' fine to plug 16 Ohm cabs into the 8 or 4 they will just be lower in volume. However, don't plug a cab with lower impedance into a hight inpedance plug; like a 4 ohm cab into the 16 or 8 ohm outlet. Tim

15. countandduke

countandduke Member

I'm gonna chime in here and say that I have a Fuchs modded Bassman head and it rules!! I was going to mention to talk with Andy but he chimed in right after your post so.......:)

I think my amp (purple tolex no less) was one that was in Andy's shop and I think it's basically the SLX version. To my ears though, it sounds different than the Fuchs amp I had a year or more ago. The amp I have now sounds "fuller" for lack of a better term. Might have something to do with the Fender tranny???

The Fuchs amp I had before was a 50 watter and sounded great. Of course it helps to goose the volume and get those power tubes working but the Fuchs amp is one of those select few that actually sounds really good at lower volumes too.

Good luck,

Chris

16. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Celestion calls it the Heritage Series G12-65. Here's a link to the Celestion page.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/spec.asp?ID=32

As for impedance, you could use two 16 ohm cabs (in parallel) into the 8 ohm jack. Or two 8ohm cabs into the 4 ohm jack. Overall speaker/cabinet load needs to equal the jack's rated impedance.