Help! Need a drum machine I can play,...suggestions??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Jonster, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Jonster

Jonster Member

I am in the process of starting a home studio. So far I have Adobe Audition, with an M-Audio Ultra interface, some mics,....etc.

I am at a loss as to what to do for drums!! I am interested in the idea of the "EZ-drummer", but it is not tested with my host, and I think I want to actually PLAY my parts,....tap them out that is. I can play drums, and do not think it will be a problem for me at all. I just can't find an all-in-one unit that fits my budget, (@$200) and seems like it would do what I want. Ideally, the unit will allow me to play the groove, or parts of it,.....piece together those parts, and then let me then transfer that track to Adobe. Is there such an animal???

I was about to just grab an Alesis 16, but the sounds did not "wow" me too much when I demo'd it at GC. Then I thought I'd try the M-Audio Finger thing....trigger pads with the software, but my buddy who is helping thought it would be troublesome (the software that is). I looked at the Yamaha D-55 on line,....like that in design, but it seems kind of toy-ish, and I am not sure it can do what I need it to do. Anyone use one for recording?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have already learned a ton from everyone's posts here. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The d-55 is the easiest way of doing it at that price point.
    Vastly better than finger pads on drum machines, tapping your PC keyboard or dropping in beats with the mouse. Not as good as real MIDI drumkits.

3. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

I'm looking for something else too. ION makes a nice 8 pad MIDI device that is unfortunately discontinued but I'd use that or a Trigger Finger style thing. I've always used grid/piano roll to program drums and that's just too tedious. If you're gonna use a drum machine, I'd get a big one like the Roland R-5/R-8/R-70. the e-Kit is the best choice of course but that assumes you have the money, the space and someone who can play drums worth a sh1t.

Triggering Addictive Drums isn't too hard at all I've heard. EZ Drummer I've not tried but it would seem to be just as easy. The sounds in Addictive are better IMO. Both Addictive and EZ Drummer whould work fine in Audition 3.0. In version 2.0 they didn't have as good of MIDI/VST support. I would highly recommend Reaper over Audition though. It's basically free and way more capable. Just as easy to use too.

4. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

5. Jonster

Jonster Member

Thanks.

I have been looking more closely at Drums On Demand,.....looks like it could be a viable alternative. I guess I have tyo ask myself: what would be easier:

-playing the parts/piecing them together

or,...

-scrolling through pre-recorded loops -dragging & dropping, and then editing if need be. (I mean heck, my drum parts are NOT that complicated)

I am beggining to lean more toward the loop idea, and it is cheaper. DOD clearly states that is compatible with Audition 3.0. (ACID)

I have searched here too, and some folks seem to be using DOD with success. Anyone care to comment on them??

6. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

FWIW, EZ drummer and Addictive have tons of built-in patterns/loops that you can edit if you want. Also the audio loop route leaves you stuck if you don't love the drum set type, the sound, the tempo or time signature, etc. In EZ/Addictive you can browse loops and drag and drop them too. You also get the benefit of being being able to change just about anything about the beat/kit you want, more so with Addictive.

I have a EZ Drummer/Addictive Drums comparison on my website that might shed some light on either for you.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Just an FYI to anyone.
    The Yam device is hit with STICKS. Big ease of use diff, imo.