HELP - Need a good OD to pair with a Matchless Lightning

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jschoi, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Jschoi

Jschoi Silver Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

So I picked up a Matchless Lightning 2x12. It's been a couple weeks since I've been playing with it and I've been dialing in some fantastic cleans.

However, I've had to change my board because the amp is so sensitive to any changes, and what worked before is no longer working with this amp.

I'm looking for a smooth, warm OD that can make the amp sing on high, single notes.

Right now, I'm running a Monsterpiece Stud, Tim, and BlueSTone OD.

All of them are awesome, but they don't get the thick leads I'm looking for.

Running it primarily with a Gretsch White Falcon and a Gibson Les Paul.

Any suggestions?

Jason

2. Jschoi

Oh and I apologize in advance if this post is a bit redundant

3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I tried a ton of pedals and the ones that worked the best with that amp for me were the Xotic SL and AC Booster.

4. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

Fellow Matchless user. Vox style amps love a good Rat/Hotcake. Current OD's on my board: RC, Klon, Del Mar, Tim, Mullholland Drive, Scarlet Love v2, Blackout Sick As, and a KTR. Might seem redundant to have multiple klon(e)s but they are the most useful tools to my tone and they thicken the tone in the low mids. I've got a few other drives that I cycle through depending on the gig. I haven't had too much trouble with OD's with my Matchless' or Bad Cat's. Mainly because I know what I like (drives with considerable EQ adjustment).

5. tangleweird

tangleweird Member

I've never gotten to try it, but I hear a Hotcake + Vox style amp doesn't get much better.

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I had a Spitfire and now have a Baby (which is a small Spitfire). Personally, I love the Rat in front of mine. It also takes tubscreamers exceptionally well ... and their close relative the SD1/FD2.

For medium OD, I've a lot of success with the FD2, Signa Drive, TS808HW, and Green Rhino. For thick sustained leads, nothing beats a RAT or Scarlett Love V1 on plexi mode (especially stacked with a tubescreamer).

Notably, mine does not respond as well to the Timmy, KoT, most Rat Clones including the wonderful Soothsayer, or Big Muffs.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Another Matchless guy here. I find that most ODs go really well with Matchless amps. A few that I really like with them: Lovepedal Eternity, Skreddy Screwdriver, Analogman Beano Boost (I know, not an OD but a great achieves great results for lead tones), Analogman KOT.

8. Jschoi

I've heard a lot of good things about both. Do they thicken the tone at all?

9. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

When I had a Matchless, I really enjoyed my Rat with it. It could do singing lead for days.

10. kickstrat

kickstrat Member

Tim and Rat were my favorite pedals with the Lightning.

11. Jeric

Jeric Member

I've got a BadCat Cub which is along the lines of the same circuit. I use a mayflower (Timmy), Morning Glory (BB), and T1M Pearl (TS) with great success!

12. Braunzo

Depends on your definition of "thicken" if you mean more mids, then yes.

13. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Another Matchless guy (Clubman 35).

Bearfoot SYODv3 nails that nice mids-focused crunch. I also have a KTR that I stack for leads, and I love it!

YMMV :aok

14. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

Matchless Lightning owner here...

Bearfoot SYOD works great with every amp, as does the KOT.

BUT smooth overdrives ? Try the stunning MP Simble, and the obvious Zendrive.

15. Mejis

Mejis Member

I've got 4 going through my HC30: OD-1, Marshall Shredmaster, HM-2, and OCD (in that order). For singing lead on the 12ax7 channel (closest to the Lightning) the Shredmaster is pretty great on it's own, or else stacked with the OD-1 for higher gain.

The OCD is good too, but I find it gets along better with the ef86 side for whatever reason.

16. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I always dig a Klon or Sick As with the Lightning. JHS Superbolt is another good one for some thicker drive tones that are a little bit darker. RC Booster does a great job adding a little bit of push and breakup, as I'm sure the AC/BB would do as well.

17. Jschoi

This is really helpful. I'm narrowing down the hunt to a Rat, JHS Superbolt, and the SP boost for now... Thanks for the input. I'm gonna do some more research!

18. Sunnyevan

Sunnyevan Member

Boss DS-1 Distortion

19. Braunzo

Actually... The DS-1 sounds pretty darn good with the Lightning. Not sure if you were joking or not. But if not, cheers!

20. mcarte07

mcarte07 Supporting Member

Jason, I've seen a few others post this but forgot to mention it- the skreddy screwdriver is super tweakable, especially the top end. I bet it's a good match. It's a nice pedal