Help, need advice on a 2x12 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sam Cannon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Sam Cannon

Sam Cannon Member

What is the best sounding 2x12 cabinet and combination of speakers?

I'm looking for something to go with my Elmwood Modena 60.

Help

2. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

3. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

+1 on Stone Age without a doubt! I have a 4x12 and 2x12C from him. Try some Scumbacks in the 2x12, you won't be disappointed!​

4. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

+1 on the Stone Age cabs. I have a 2 x 12C with Celestion Heritage 65's and it is the best cab I have ever owned. Sensational tone and very sturdy. They are expensive but worth every penny. I have done side by side comparisons with the Bogner, Avatar, Mojotone, Marshall, Splawn and EVH and my Stone Age sounded better than them all, with the Bogner comming in a close second.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

There is no "best", it is all dependant on personal taste. However, there are lots of good cabs out there. Some have been mentioned. Also, the THD, Dr.Z, Orange & Marshall 2061CX cabs are all excellent, amongst others.

Speakers are even more personal-preference dependant, and it depends completely what tones you are looking for. If you are not familiar with various flavours of speakers, then have a chat with Jim from Southbay Ampworks. He will be able to find out which speaker will suit the tones you like, the best. His Scumback speakers also have rave reviews. I have some on order, so cannot comment on any direct experience. But I was impressed enough to spend a fair amount of cash on importing some to the UK.
    There are also superb Celestion, Eminence, Weber, Jensen, Tone tubby etc etc speakers. You just need to find the right ones for YOU. Unfortunately that can take a little bit of research and trial and error. Good luck !

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Some people swear by the THD 2x12. It's certainly worth an audition.