Help!!! Need new pups for my PRS Cu24 STAT!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mlavin00, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

Hey,
    I just picked up a Shiva EL34 Head and I've been putting my guitars through their paces on my new baby. When I plugged in my Cu24 I thought perhaps the amp was broken or something because the tone just sucked!!!! Way too much mud, no clarity or harmonic overtones. It made me sad that my beautiful PRS had no tone. I need some recommendations as to what I should try. I'm into SRV, Jeff Beck, Zep, Rush, EVH, Clapton and the like so I need something versitile, clean and crisp. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mitch

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Wcr Fillmores or Darkburts might do it for you. Very clear and articulate, Pretty wide selection of guitarists though.
    Duncan Antiquitys are a possibility too.

3. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I had Duncan Antiquities in both of my CU24s, I liked that setup a lot.

(I have a set of Gibson Classic 57s f/s...)

4. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

+1 for the WCR Darkbursts. Don't forget the RS electronics kit. I can't recall if the CU24s are routed deep enough for the vintage style baseplates that WCR and others use. Make sure before you buy anything.

5. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I've read a lot of good things about the WCR pickups here though I haven't used them myself. I would assume they're probably better than anything PRS makes.

If you want to stay with the PRS lineup the Tremonti Treble is a great replacement bridge pickup. I pair it with the Dragon II Neck (my fav PRS pickup) and I couldn't be happier. The Tremonti has a really nice hifi sound to it.

6. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Hi Mitch,

are you sure it´s the pickups? Sometimes a little less gain/bass and a little more treble/presence on the amp settings can help a lot. Just a suggestion...

7. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

Thanks for the replies. I've never heard of WCR before so I'll check them out. I'm sure it's not the amp settings since my LP with a Duncan Custom (B) and a 59(N) just sang and my PRS HBII was just beautiful with the Shiva. I think I'd rather go with an aftermarket PU since that's all they do, make pu. Anyone used Fralins or Pearly Gates in a Cu24?
    Mitch

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Your Custom 24 should have a HFS pickup and it's very similar to a Duncan Custom in my opinion. I have both and say this with experience. I also really like the Vintage Bass neck in the Custom 24. It's usually very round and warm.

Wcr's are a little bit more money than Duncans, and there are a ton of reviews on this site. Or check out www.crcoils.com

fwiw,

Larry

btw, The Prs Santana 1 pups are modeled after the Duncan Custom bridge and 59 neck.

9. mlavin00

mlavin00 Member

Thanks for the site. I'll check them out. Most appreciated.
    Mitch

10. oscar100

oscar100 Member

jeez dood where u bin?

i got darkbursts in my braz mcarty ltd ed and they are magic - especially with teh RS wiring kit

do it......fillmores would be good too

:RoCkIn

11. 85db

85db Member

Few things:

Factory pickups in PRS aren't the best, but they're not totally bad or unusable. That'd be my red flag #1. Did you check the pickup position? If it's too high you can get mud.

If everthing is set up correctly and it still sounds really bad through the right amp, it's probably the wood. But it must be the right amp. Which takes me to the next paragraph.

I remember Shiva would take well to a strat but I never tried a PRS with it. Some amps and guitars just don't work well together................ Could it be the interaction between Shiva and PRS and not your PRS? Have you put all of your guitars through their paces with Marshalls and Fenders? Did PRS also sound bad?

By the way, Shiva might be too cold for the music you like ("SRV, Jeff Beck, Zep, Rush, EVH, and Clapton").