Help! Need new speaker for /13

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AaeCee, Jan 4, 2008.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have a /13 CJ11, an 11 watt head with 2 6V6s and matching 1x12 cab with a Celestion G12 Vintage 30 (black label). Has great low mids, but the top end is a bit too sharp or piercing for my tastes. Any recommendations for a speaker that will round out the top end and retain good low end definition? And would different 6V6s or even preamp tubes make any difference? Thanks again, amp guys!

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Maybe a Heritage G12-65. I think most /13 amps have a lot of brightness. The larger dust cap of the 65s seem to round out the highs pretty well.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks. I also wanted to mention that I'd prefer a speaker with tones closer to the vintage American sounds (tweed) than British.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Never mind then!

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    Cannibis Rex....by Eminence,,,a great speaker for doing just that....also an alnico version 1 Tone Tubby will work also

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Haven't spoken with Fred yet, but the lows/low mids in this amp are huge, almost disproportionately so, so if they were reduced a wee bit the overall balance may even be improved. Matter of fact, a tighter bottom would be nice as well.

7. sicktone

sicktone Member

The 1x12 combo with a Greenback sounds great. That's Fred's standard speaker for the CJ11. It takes a few hours to get it broken in, but it's worth it. I'd go with a 1x12 cab to preserve that Tweed Deluxe on steroids vibe.

I find that Fred's speaker recommendations are spot on. I'll try a bunch of other stuff, then come back to his specs. The JRT 9/15 with Fred's 2x12D cab has completely changed my take on Greenback speakers.

One more thing...the CJ11 combo is slightly oversized. I'd go with a 1x12 that is about the size of the /13 1x12 cab.

Happy hunting!

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks guys. The base of knowledge among the amp guys here always astounds me. Anyway, sounds like a choice between the Cannibis Rex and the G12Ms. On the G12....that is a ceramic magnet, correct? Are there different G12s (made in China vs. ?, etc.)? I know this is probably over generalizing, but don't alnico magnet based speakers have a tendency to sound warmer than ceramics? Oh, and with the Rex being 50w and the G12's 25w, wouldn't the lower wattage be a better match for my 11 watt amp?

9. Sherman

Sherman Member

I vote for an M/H series scumback (Southbay Ampworks). Jim's speakers are definitely warm sounding. Just drop him a note and I'm sure he can help you.

I had the same problem with my SJT10/20 and after trying at least 6 different speakers (both ceramic and alnico), I ended up with an HP75-30. The amp now has some sweet high end with a big bottom.