• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help, need some good input on aTungsten BuckWheat vs.Louis Electric KR12

John Barber

Silver Supporting Member
I play a Les Paul, go out maybe once a month play with a group of older hippy's, left over from the 60's and 70's, play mainly 90% of time at home. Have a 1987 Marshall Jubilee, which never leaves home as it would cause a heart attack if I ever showed up with it in small venue or Bar. Had a Carr Mercury, a great amp, what it did was without fault.. I need a grab and go amp that will be played mainly at home, and won't piss off the neighbors or wife, unless I need too. I've been looking at a Buckwheat and a Louis Electric K12, I'm leaning to the K12 as it has some really nice features and can get it at a great price, as well as the Buckwheat here on TGP. Thanks Play mainly Blues and Rock, Cream and ZZ top.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Do you own an attenuator or reamp? Cause either of those two amps would piss off my wife. The KR12 at least has a master volume, but most owners say it's still a very loud amp.

John Barber

Silver Supporting Member
No I don't own attenuator, and really don't want any more gear to haul around, maybe I'll just go back to the Mercury? Thanks I was kinda afraid this might be the situation, with the volume. As always you guys always have some really good points to consider.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
The KR-12 is a great amp, for blues/blues rock, etc, but it's not a grab-n-go, imo. Mine weighs 54lbs with a Creamback 65M.

I prefer the much lighter, yet less versatile, Buster for a g-n-g ....which works great with a little reverb and some dirt pedals out front. ymmv.

Fendegibs

Would the Crema Wheat be an option to consider in lieu of the Buckwheat? Same voicing, just lower wattage and weighs less.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
No I don't own attenuator, and really don't want any more gear to haul around, maybe I'll just go back to the Mercury? Thanks I was kinda afraid this might be the situation, with the volume. As always you guys always have some really good points to consider.
You're definitely going to want to consider something with a great master volume implementation or built in attenuation. I can play my 100 watt Friedman and not piss off my wife because the tone comes from the preamp and the master volume is great, but if I crank my 5 watt Vibro Champ into total overdrive she will be cranky when I emerge from the basement. I do have a Swart Nightlight Jr in my VC to allow me to attenuate the volume and at only $140 it can mount in the back of the combo and you'll forget its not part of the amp. It works in amps up to 15 watts. There are other similar options for high wattage. Just a thought.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom