• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

HELP! Need suggestions on pickups! Strat sound in humbucker guitar

My brother gave me a guitar with humbuckers in it that I plan to keep forever.

Problem is, I dont like humbuckers at all, but I love the guitar.

I play mainly country, I want to get some humbuckers that are brighter/thinner sounding... something that sounds like a tele or start.

Right now my main tele has Fralin Blues Specials in it.. I LOVE THAT SOUND.

Are there some humbuckers out there that sound like this when split (or humbucker sized single coils) that can get me that sound?

also.. has anyone ever just tried to put 2 single coil pickups in each humbucker slot.. and just wire it up like a strat with 4 single coils?

I have a Dimarzio ds100 in a Strat, I installed a mini toggle to split the coils, and it sounds very tele like in the split position. If you dont want to drill the small hole, you could get a pull pot that will do the same thing. I think most 4 wire duall hum's can be wired to split, but might want to check the manufactures website.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I think Fralin does a humbucker that might fit the bill... E-mail them and see? Also, there are P90's that will fit in Humbucker slots...

scott58

I have a Dimarzio ds100 in a Strat, I installed a mini toggle to split the coils, and it sounds very tele like in the split position. If you dont want to drill the small hole, you could get a pull pot that will do the same thing. I think most 4 wire duall hum's can be wired to split, but might want to check the manufactures website.
Splitting the coils was my first thought also. i have a Dean Icon with a piezo bridge and coiltapping. best of both worlds.

alvagoldbook

Why not throw some p-90s in there? If you need something that will fit in a humbucker space then get some Duncan phat cats.

JUSTJOB

My brother gave me a guitar with humbuckers in it that I plan to keep forever.

Problem is, I dont like humbuckers at all, but I love the guitar.

I play mainly country, I want to get some humbuckers that are brighter/thinner sounding... something that sounds like a tele or start.

Right now my main tele has Fralin Blues Specials in it.. I LOVE THAT SOUND.

Are there some humbuckers out there that sound like this when split (or humbucker sized single coils) that can get me that sound?
http://lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/dually_series/dually_specs.php
Check these out. IMHO they split and are real singles, many possibilities to wire up as well. Give the Gold/Gold a try.

http://lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/dually_series/dually_specs.php
Check these out. IMHO they split and are real singles, many possibilities to wire up as well. Give the Gold/Gold a try.
Im going to agree with you. I love the Lace golds, especially if your a Tele guy. I had a set in a Fender Strat Ultra. It came with dual reds in the bridge, and I subed them for the low output Golds, and it was very good. Wire them like a Strat ultra with the mini toggle, and its a very versatile setup.

Trending Topics