Help needed - building a DAW

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lester, Jan 3, 2005.

1. lester

lester Guest

Hi, I got off the digital recording consule, as soon as I got my payment:)
    I am on to building a DAW, now I wanted to buy the sections seperated (I mean to buy it all from ebay, so I will need some HDs, soundcard and such...)

I will get it connected here in Israel by some professional, but the parts I need to get from the US (Ebay probably), I thought of either Mbox (if protools) or either an audiophile1010LT or a Lexicon Omega. also I wanted a Mackie CR1406 mixer, and so I need some suggestions for all the other parts, I will probably go for the Mbox, so I need a ProTools based DAW, and my total budget not including the Mbox and mixer is 1200$

Any specs?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I'm not much 'up' on the latest/greatest computer hardware, but I can tell you a couple of things for sure.

With the MBox, you won't need a mixer. It has phantom power and 2 built-in preamps that are pretty good, so you don't need a mixer for the pres. Also, the MBox implies ProTools LE, and with PTLE you mix in the software, so you won't need a mixer for that either.

For the computer, I always make the same 2 recommendations. 1) Max out the RAM, or at least buy as much as you possibly can - and make it the fastest you can afford as well. This will do wonders for your sessions. 2) Use a separate hard drive for your music files - that is, use one hard drive for all your software and one hard drive to store what you record. It really helps.

And finally, you should budget in some kind of backup method, whether it be a CD burner or a ZIP drive - you'll want to back up regularly and often.

--chiba

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>With the MBox, you won't need a mixer. It has phantom power and 2 built-in preamps that are pretty good, so you don't need a mixer for the pres.<<

You will need a mixer (or similarly capable hardware) if you want to record a multi-miked drum kit, or a live band setup, or outboard gear, or creating different headphone mixes for the band.

>>Also, the MBox implies ProTools LE, and with PTLE you mix in the software, so you won't need a mixer for that either.<<

Some of the software packages, such as Digital Performer, and probably Logic, will run off Digidesign hardware, including the MBox.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I guess any suggestions would depend on what you want to do. Are you recording just yourself, a band, live in the studio, MIDI, demos, making a CD, what?

5. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Les,

Pro Tools sounds great, esp. to a Mac guy like me, but it's probably more than I need just to get some raw stuff down to "tape". I have long outgrown my Pandora PX4 and have been casually messing around with Garage Band. Do you use or can you recommend one of the all inclusive Boss or Yamaha units?

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

True enough, I hadn't thought of that.

--chiba