Help Needed Choosing Replacement Speakers For Vibrolux

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by UnderTheGroove, Jan 20, 2015.

1. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I’m looking for replacement speakers for my ’68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. This is one of the new versions Fender came out with last year. I’m very happy with the amp, but I think I can improve the sound by replacing the stock Celestion G10R-30 speakers. The clean tone with these speakers is OK, but they really tend to get flubby on the low end at gig volume and can sound strident when using drive pedals.

I’ve read a lot of discussions on 10 inch speakers, and watched a lot of videos. One of the problems I’m having with making a decision is that the sound of the speakers with drive pedals is rarely discussed. In my main project (modern country covers) I’m using overdrive or distortion about 80% of the time, so I’m really hoping to find speakers that don’t sound harsh or fall apart on the low end when using overdrive. Ideally, I’d like to achieve this without losing the Fender characteristics of the amp, but I’m leaving all options open...perhaps Greenbacks or WGS Green Berets?

This is the first amp I’ve ever owned with 10 inch speakers, so I’m hoping to get some advice on what speakers to look at from those more knowledgeable. I want to keep the budget at $200 or less for the two speakers.

More info for those who like details:
    At gigs there is almost always a mic on my amp, so I’m usually running the volume at around 4. When playing live I almost always use the custom channel (Fender claims this is voiced more like a Bassman) with the bright switch off. I do often use the vintage channel for clean tones when recording. Pedals used on my two boards include Wampler 65, XTS Atomic, MI Audio Crunch Box, Timmy and Jetter Red2.

2. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

You might want to look for a used Weber 10F150T or a used Tone Tubby 40/40. I have this pairing in my Custom Vibrolux and they sound very good together. No bass flubbing or farting!

4. Greentone

Greentone Member

This!!

5. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

Try the new Eminence GA10-SC64

6. UnderTheGroove

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm listening to the clips of the Eminence 1058 and GA10-SC64. Might even be interesting to get one of each. I'd be a little concerned with the 20 watt rating on the GA...

Has anyone ever tried combining a greenback with an american type speaker? I was thinking a 10" Green Beret and a 10" G10C/S from WGS might be an option.

7. MHG

MHG Member

WGS has a new 10" speaker coming out that will be G1265-ish. Should be pretty cool!!!

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've been searching for the perfect 10 for years. ... and I do understand your "pedals" question, as some speakers react well with pedals and some don't.
    A couple thoughts:
    -I had Webers in a vintage V'lux (12F150 and 12F150T) the result was the amp was so loud I couldn't use it anywhere... and very heavy also. But the sound (albeit pretty low end heavy) was good.
    -I've tried the 10" Greenbacks as I love 12" GB's. The tone of the 10" was completely different to my ears and terrible.
    -The EMi 1058 is the standard ceramic 10 right? I had a pair of those... they were pretty good but at gig volume I felt they didn't work well with OD. Seemed to have a nasty "Bacon Frying" breakup with OD. Not super bad but it was in the mix...
    -currently trying some RI Jensen Mod 10-50 to warm up the high end in my V'lux, and because they are fairly inefficient. The jury is out as I haven't gigged with it yet. Love the sound in the practice room though.
    - I've had Rajun Cajuns and Ramrod Emi tens that sounded pretty good, but are very loud speakers and I need to tame the volume down at most my gigs. These were in 4 x 10 application... which is much different really....

9. dbx

dbx Member

Have you checked out the Jensen Jet series?

Two 10" models that might sound good for your Vibrolux are the Electric Lightning and the Falcon.

To my ear the EL is more forward in the mids/highs, the Falcon is a little "softer" there if that description makes sense. EL will take higher power and are more efficient, may sound really good for country, using your pedals for addition overdrive. The bass sounds really good (in a 12" version I have, I imagine 2 10"s would also sound good).

Check out the site and do the sound clip comparisons. They give details on how the sound clips were made so you can get a better sense related to your own setup:

http://www.jensentone.com/jet_series

10. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

I'd make sure your stock speakers are really well broken in before giving up. And if you're still not into it, depends on what you're aiming for. Traditional Vibrolux tones, go for the Eminence suggestions you're getting here perhaps. But if you want to try something mega-cool (and trust me, I have tried this in a Vibrolux and the results were spectacular), mix a 10" Greenback and a 10" Gold. That would straight-up KILL on the Bassman channel, and sounds pretty good with the cleaner more traditional blackface side too.

11. tomc3084

tomc3084 Member

Eminence Copperheads and Jensen Neo's sound fantastic.

12. UnderTheGroove

Thanks for the detailed response! Interesting that you didn't like the greenbacks. I'd love to hear a report once you have played the Mod 10-50's live.

These weren't on my radar. Thanks for pointing them out. On first listen, I prefer the sound of the Electric Lightning. The Falcon seemed to have a slight nasal quality to it.

I've had the amp for 3+ months and used it regularly for rehearsals and a couple of gigs. I do think the sound of the speakers has improved. They may not be totally broken in yet, but I'd still like to look at options for replacement. I'm intrigued by the greenback and gold combo, but it may be a budget buster!

Listening to the sample on the Eminence site, I seem to favor the Ragin Cajun or the 1058. I'll check out the Neo's.

13. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

The GA10-SC64's are the same speaker which Alessandro amps sold to their customers since quite some years. I got lucky and received 2 of them about 4 years ago. I have 'em in my 2x10 cabinet which I use with a 50W head, no issues at all. I really love these speakers.
    Great that Eminence is now offering these speakers to everyone.

14. UnderTheGroove

Thanks for the info.

I'm finding it really difficult to compare speakers from different manufacturers. It's hard to do a A/B comparison when the sound samples are recorded with different gear and are playing different stuff. If anyone knows of a really good comparison video or recording, I'd love to know about it.

15. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I like the Weber 10F150T but it's loud and heavy. In a 1x10, it's the way to go for sure.

That said, I'm fine with the stock Celestion G10R-30 speakers in my new '68 Custom Vibrolux. I actually like that they're inefficient and that I can drive the volume a bit (I run mine on 5 on the Custom channel). I think they work fine in that amp. No plans to change them.

16. UnderTheGroove

I ended up going with an Eminence Copperhead and an All-Tone 1040. I'm really liking the Copperhead, but I'm not sure about the 1040 yet.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I think the lil buddy would be a perfect pairing with copperhead.

I love alltones, what do you not like? To bright? Maybe you just need to break it in for 40hr at med volume before forming a opinion on it..

18. UnderTheGroove

Actually, the Alltone speaker is much darker. I've recorded a comparison test of the stock speaker, the Copperhead and the Alltone, so I'll post it here when I get a chance to edit it together.