Help needed: EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress XO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rends, May 12, 2015.

1. Rends

Rends Member

Hi guys,
    I just got my Deluxe Electric Mistress XO.
    It's the new green/black version.
    Well i have some trouble with dialing in some cool sounds.
    It seems that i can get only good sounds with range and rate set between 6.30 up to 7.30.
    Then i have a nice slow flanger.
    A rate above 7.30 starts a rotary sounds very soon and it seems that anything higher just make the sound from very fast rotary sound to superfast rotary sound.
    The range knob works similar. I don't find it very usefull above 10. makes the flangesound wiered i can't describe in words.
    Is this the way the EHX Flanger works?
    There arn't many ( in fact i found only 2) youtube videos. But i didn't found them usefull. I watched some big box deluxe mistress videos instead but if i move the knobs to the positions shown in the clips the small XO sounds completely different.
    Yes i can create Police,Cure orPink Floyd style sounds but i seems that it only works with color more or less full and range and rate between 6.30-7.30.
    Seems not many room for experiments...
    Rends

2. van_delay

van_delay Member

Hmm sounds strange. I am interested in this as well. I have been thinking about getting one of these pedals but have not seen many demos or reviews online yet.

3. racecarracecar

racecarracecar Member

Sounds like a normal EHX pedal. Small range of normal sounds and huge range of crazy

4. Rends

Rends Member

Seems so. The only knob that is usefull over full range is the color knob.
    The range knob works up to 10 clock before it starts to sound strange and the rate one has the one with the most limitation of nice sounds up to 7.30 before the swirl begins.
    I can't get it to self oszillating but i can get a jetplane sound with a (modelling) distortion in front of the flanger.
    Well i'm not sure if i want to keep it.
    Does it sound good, yes.
    But it's very tricky/sensitive to get the sound i'm after.

5. Rends

Rends Member

Found this website
    http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/settings.shtml

And from the graphics it seems that the knob settings needs to be dialed in similar to the Electric Mistress V.5 rather then the Deluxe Electric Mistress to get a sound like Summers/Gilmour
    Wonder why all EHX Flangers works so differently?

6. bratch

bratch Member

A DEM shouldn't be like this. My old one only sounds unusable at max rate. That's why it's my favorite flanger -- very simple to dial in all your basic swooshes, choruses, and rotary sounds.

Yours migh be broken, op.

Now, if it was the Flanger Hoax ... yes. Mostly cray.

7. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

8. Rends

Rends Member

Well i'm not sure if it's broken after i watched some Stereo Electric Mistress videos on youtube.
    You might know that the rate knob on this unit works different compared to the other Electric Mistress Flanger. At 11 ' Clock and below it works in filter matrix mode.
    And at 1' clock or higher the rotary effects starts to swirl.
    So the nice slower flange effects can be dialed in at around 12' clock only.
    Also very limted movement same as on the XO Deluxe Electric Mistress.

Boy, i'm not sure what to do. Should i keep it?
    I like the sound of the XO version but this small usefull range at the rate knob annoys me. I need to rotate the knob in millimeters . Wished EHX had made half the range of the rate knob at slow speed and not one hour only.

9. Rends

Rends Member

Hm,
    possible it's broken.
    I carefully watched this video.
    The guy is playing with Color 10, Range 10 and rate at 9 clock
    Check video starting at 1.00 min

Now completely different. Mine at the same settings:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/rends-1/dem9clock[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    Sorry for bad audio quality but i'm sure that you can notice the difference.

And this is with all knobs at 12 where most pedals sounds nice
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/rends-1/dem12clock[/SOUNDCLOUD]

10. Rends

Rends Member

Final conclusion:
    I talked to to the guy in the video and he told me that his Pedal was in fact modded. No wonder why mine sounds different at same settings. I also know now after reading this website http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/settings.shtml that the knobs works different depending on Version/ Release date of the flanger. So the 70s works different than the 90s Version and the 2000+ Version will also be different. So this confused me at first because i didn't knew this.
    With this knowledge i watched the youtube videos again and it seems that the XO version is similar to the Deluxe Electric Mistress shown here http://youtu.be/0VcYAYgRDVY
    Guess it's the actual version.
    I'm note sure why EHX made it with this wide range of Rate which left small room for slow flange settings. But there might be others finding this swirly flanging usefull . In my ears it's still too fast on higher settings.

11. Rends

Rends Member

Found that some more people has same problems at the EHX Board.
    Decided to send it back tomorrow.