Help needed for the less technically inclined!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by HughesP, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Do you need a Vendor tag yet? :D

2. Lele

Lele Member

Yes, this is a very good alternative, too, BUT it also requires to find the proper profile.
    Just yesterday night I went to a gig of a professional band playing Queen cover.
    The guitar player is a 60 y.o. pro musician who played live for at least 30 years with some good Italian singers, and some other bands, including hard-rock bands. His technique is traditional but precise, clean and excellent.
    I saw immediately a Kemper and I was happy.
    Then the band started playing... oh my God. The guitar sound for me was coming from an amp inside a portable toilet. Awful! For a while I blamed the soundguys. Then I got closer to the stage, and I heard his own cabinet. It was really his own sound that was bad. And when he started playing an acoustic guitar it was even worse (like a cheap but electric guitar trying to make acoustic guitar tones!).
    It's the first time I see a Kemper used this bad way, and from a real pro musician I really didn't expect it.
    But now I know, even Kemper needs a certain time and attention to get good tones, and even a pro can be mistaken... (well, imho).

3. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

If you are accustomed to using a pedalboard into an amp, and have no desire to get into modeling, then I would for sure go with an Amp Sim Pedal like the Joyo above (or similar).

That way nothing really changes for you - except instead of plugging your pedalboard into an amp, you plug it into that pedal. Twist knobs (like on your amp) to tweak your tone...everything else is the same.

Why hassle with learning a multi-fx board for one gig??

4. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

I agree with what @Fireproof is saying in concept, but this situation will come up again (and again).

I used to tour a lot.
    I had a rig that I loved (2-3 amps) and a giant pedalboard. Then I switched to a rackmounted solution for easier travel.

Then all of a sudden, I had fly dates in the middle of drive dates. Flying somewhere to just play 2 or 3 songs at a radio festival or a morning tv show.

You need to find an option you can keep on hand and get to where it doesn’t bum you out

coldengray and Fireproof like this.
  5. dmock66

dmock66 Member

In my experience, the hi/low cuts are your friend with modeling. Get whatever brand you prefer (the HX Stomp would give you a lot of flexibility in a small package) and put a parametric EQ after the amp/cab block - apply curves that sound right to you. I see the low side between 80Hz - 120Hz most commonly and the high side is almost completely to taste. Some people don't use them - others go as low as 5Khz. Granted these EQ points are starting references and you can adjust to meet what you expect to hear.

As others have said - drop the modeler at the end of your board to replace the amp - use your regular pedals into it. For a few gigs here and there where you have few other options, this would do it.

6. John Mark Painter

Not yet.
    Just a dedicated fanboy.

Am I supposed to list endorsements?

7. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

While I'm all about digital and have or have owned pretty much everything cited above, I'm wouldn't recommend any digital solution for your particular situation. As you are less technically inclined, I would be extremely concerned with getting up to speed and feeling comfortable in time for the gigs. All of the digital solutions have a learning curve and in some cases a VERY STEEP curve. Stuff happens at gigs and unless you're fluid with using your gear you may get stuck. It's not like you'll be in a position to be posting questions on TGP or calling tech support for answers.

What about a small tube or solid state amp that has a direct output? You said you don't need much. This thread talks about small amps with a DI.

My choice for your situation would be a Blueguitar Amp1. It only weighs a couple of pounds, two channels, has a DI, reverb, and can mimic many different amps. Here's a nice video with Jay Leonard J that runs through the Amp1. What's even better is that you can also plug the Amp1 into whatever speaker cabinet is available on tour for some stage sound while simultaneously running a line to FOH. It's everything you'd need in a little package that would fit in a carryon.

8. dmock66

dmock66 Member

In general I would agree with @ljholland and the above post.

I'd also offer this video (@-Empire ) as a "quick and dirty" for bypassing a bit of the learning curve with digital products.

However, I'd also definitely agree with above statement around not having support if something goes wrong at your gig.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. John Mark Painter

I loaned my Stomp to a guy that had a one-off gig where he couldn't have an amp.
    I just made him an AC-30 patch with a Boost, Tap Tempo and Slap delay, Expression gain control.
    I disabled the Volume control (I do that for myself too).
    His gig went great and now he wants an LT :)

But he is in music school and has to do LOTS of run and gun gigs getting specific sounds with low or NO stage volume.

Fireproof likes this.
  10. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Why do you want to go the modeller route for one show. Makes absolutely no sense to me. It’s technology you’re unfamiliar with and averse to (though I see you were considering an HX Stomp). Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Rent an amp. It’s ONE show ffs.

11. HughesP

HughesP Member

The logistics don't allow for it - that's the problem. We don't really have room in the van, and we certainly don't have time to visit a music store to rent an amp - we are leaving once city at 6:00am, and driving straight to this show.

So I'd have to rent the amp at the first place we are flying too. But for that to work, renting an amp would necessitate renting a trailer, starting the tour a day early (so an extra night in hotels for everyone, extra meal expenses, etc). It's cost prohibitive to do.

dmock66 and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Yeah - the Tech21 Character Blonde would be simplest, IMHO. That was the first step I took in my "playing direct" journey. Put it at the end of your board, all analog knobs - into the DI - #bingo. It's just one show...

Fireproof and JiveTurkey like this.
  13. HughesP

HughesP Member

Thanks everyone for the responses so far - some good things to consider.

Long term, it probably does make sense to own a piece of gear - this bigger touring world is new to me - this is the first time I've run into this situation, but as suggested, it might not be the last.

I'm thinking, with 2 weeks to get ready, I'm probably going to spend $30 on a joyo unit and also rent hx stomp. The joyo seems simple enough that it would be a good option.

BUT, I also feel like you've given me some good resources to likely get up and running with something simple on the hx stomp (especially since I'll be running my pedalboard in), and that it might be a better long term solution.

If I've got the joy, I'll also be able to compare and if nothing else, if I don't like what I get from the hx stomp, I still have another option.

I'm not opposed to buying something, but I want to spend time doing research on different units before buying, and right now I feel like my time is better spent on practicing/getting ready for the gig rather than endlessly reading forums/gear reviews, etc.

As someone mentioned the Kemper - yep that looks amazing, but I think I'd still want to try one out first and it isn't available to rent locally. Plus, it's more expensive than the other options I'm looking at right now, so I need to save a bit.

Broken Diode likes this.
  14. JiveTurkey

FWIW, if you get the Tech 21 versions; you could get the version with cab defeat switch in case you can adjust accordingly from a powered monitor to traditional amp setup as needed.

Fireproof and dmock66 like this.
  15. HughesP

HughesP Member

Yeah, but I don't need that. I have a pedal board that I'm 100% happy with for using with a traditional amp. The only time I'd ever consider using the joyo is when I want an amp + cab sim.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  16. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

You haven’t said where the gig is but if it’s in Canada I'd get on the phone with L&M in whatever the city is and sort something. I know they will deliver a rental to a venue and pick it up. If it’s in the US I’d get in touch with a retailer that rents and do the same. Just my 2¢. Anyways, good luck.

17. JiveTurkey

That'll save you some $ then. It's good when you can narrow it down and it actually works out to be cheaper :D

18. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Another option is the Atomic Ampli-FIRE Box. Small and compact - full modeler capabilities (minus the modulations). If you just want it for amp/cab you could create base presets with a hi/low cut then use the toggle switches to have 9 amp/cab combinations - and use the analog knobs to dial in your sound. Probably more than you want to tackle in the next two weeks - but also a less expensive option than the HX Stomp, although also fewer features... and, you need the editor to adjust everything but the things assigned to a physical knob. However - for amp/cab modeling in a compact unit - it's something you should consider.

Both the AFB and HX Stomp are great products - and Tom King and company at Atomic (@Atomic Amps & @Jace Nuzback) are top shelf folks (as are @Frank Ritchotte and @Digital Igloo at Line 6)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  19. HughesP

HughesP Member

The closest L&M to this particular gig is an hour and a half away from this gig... so again, not really an option.

I am looking to see if someone I know coming to the show can bring me an amp, but I want to cover my bases.

DeSelby likes this.
  20. John Mark Painter

Some potential HX Stomp strategies:

The Legacy Opto Tremolo (boost its output +3db) and the 63 Spring Reverb are excellent for me.
    You can set the Trem speed to Tap tempo if you want....
    You can set up the Stomp so you have Trem and Reverb Stomps and the third switch set to Tap/Tuner.

Or you could set up Snapshots and only use them for amp settings.
    OR set up one rig with no effects and just use it like an amp.

US Deluxe Normal with controls set to 5, pull Treble to 3-4.5 and Presence down to 0-2.
    Channel Volume around 5, Master up all the way.
    1x12 US Deluxe Cab, 160 Ribbon, 1.5" Distance, Low Cut 80Hz, High Cut 7khz

I often run (Blocks permitting) LA Studio Comp after the Cab block.
    Peak Reduction and Gain around 5, Level set to Unity.
    I like the Tile Reverb post amp. Default settings with Mix around 35% usually.

Guitardave likes this.